AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The delay grain lengths are easily known however, there seems to be a number of different compounds used.
All the delays burn at 1/32" after propellant burn-out BUT have different burns rates during propellant burn.
Here is a table of delays for the 29/40-120 reloads. The HDK # then the length in inches then # of 1/32nds followed by the delay time and which reload they are to be used with and # of 1/32nds burned during propellant burn.
Last columns are the reload and the burn rate in 1/32nds inch per second time.
Last column is a letter to match burns rates under trust. I see 5 different rates and 7 different lengths.

Delay Time (s)
Delayslengthx/32's457810
11​
14G71Material
HDK-15
0.375​
12G76 \8E23 \7E23 \4.4G76 \5.3A
0.406​
13F52 \8G71 \6F52 \5.7B
0.5​
16F40 \12G53 \9E23, F52 \8E23 \5.3F40 \5.7F52 \5.7G53 \5.3B
0.531​
17G64 \9F52 \6F52 \4.3G64 \4.7C
0.562​
18E16 \14G76 \8E16 \7.0G76 \5.3A
0.657​
21G64 \14G53 \11G53 \6.5G64 \7.4D
0.657​
21E16, F40 \14G64 \11F16 \7F40 \6.6G64 \5.7A
0.75​
24F22, G33 \19F40 \14F22 \5.7F40 \6.6A
0.75​
24F22, G33 \17F22 \5.2E
0.75​
24G53 \19G53 \11.2F
25G76G
Perhaps this will help clear things up a bit
Hey forum, stop messing up sheets links!
Only two delay formulas

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting them to warranty it, but Aerotechs response sounded like they might, so I got a little confused. My bad.

See if you can find someone local that can cut that case down and rethread it. It is still perfectly usable as a 29/120 or 29/100 case.

Get that case reworked and get it back in the fight. Its NOT garbage!!!

See if you can find someone local that can cut that case down and rethread it. It is still perfectly usable as a 29/120 or 29/100 case.

Get that case reworked and get it back in the fight. Its NOT garbage!!!

I remember someone asking about the thread specs - are those available from Aerotech?

I remember someone asking about the thread specs - are those available from Aerotech?

You just measure them. Measure the OD, measure the TPI, and then if you want to get really technical, you get some thread wires and measure the pitch over wires. Though, all anyone needs to machine a casing is a mating closure and machine the threads to fit.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! We have some really cool things planned for 2023 that we can't wait to share with you! Some of it will be announced during NARCON 2023 on 1/27/23. And thank you for your support in 2022!

Same to you. Very much appreciate all you guys do for the hobby!

-Sean

I know that this is a little bit different from the normal activity in the thread, but I just flew my first Q-Jets pretty recently and I loved them! Nothing too crazy, a pair of A3-4FJs in an Estes Yankee, but they were easy to use and they worked flawlessly. I’ll be getting more of these if I can find the 6-second version somewhere near me

I know that this is a little bit different from the normal activity in the thread, but I just flew my first Q-Jets pretty recently and I loved them! Nothing too crazy, a pair of A3-4FJs in an Estes Yankee, but they were easy to use and they worked flawlessly. I’ll be getting more of these if I can find the 6-second version somewhere near me

The E26W-4's take the Der Big Red Max to a perfect 400ish feet. I fell in love with the Q-Jets after that. They're fantastic and they ROAR far more than you would expect!! Love it!

I recently purchased a KBA M3500R, and don't know what specific hardware to get for it.

Thrustcurve says that is uses an AMW 75/7600 case. It's my understanding that some snap ring hardware is compatible between brands, but I'm not certain that it's the case with AMW, Kosdon, and Loki, which is the only manufacturer of 75mm hardware for commercial motors still in existence.

I'm also thinking that I might be able to get a case from Binder Design, but I'm almost certain that would not be a certified configuration. It might work, but I'd really like to fly this motor at a launch that's commercial motors only.

I recently purchased a KBA M3500R... Thrustcurve says that is uses an AMW 75/7600 case.
You need AMW hardware to fly this at a commercial-only launch. You might ask local fliers or AMW if they have any hardware they can loan you.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my eye out to see if any come up for sale, I'm not in a big rush, the earliest I'm planning on flying the motor is next November.

The HobbyTown store in Santee has Q-Jet motors in stock.

The HobbyTown store in Santee has Q-Jet motors in stock.
Yup, that’s where I got those ones. I just didn’t remember the available delay times. I do recall they only have the Black Max ones, and the rocket display seems to be shrinking. Hoping its seasonal/temporary and not a downsizing.

Discount Rocketry didn’t have the 6s when I checked at the last DART launch. I might have to head out to Santee tomorrow, or place an order for more stuff soon.

Last edited:
Yup, that’s where I got those ones. I just didn’t remember the available delay times. I do recall they only have the Black Max ones, and the rocket display seems to be shrinking. Hoping its seasonal/temporary and not a downsizing.
The Santee HobbyTown placed two orders through a hobby distributor for the Q-Jet motors. Then the distributor stopped carrying Quest. They never ordered any of the later White Lightning motors.

Yes, the rocket section has been reduced by at least half. The slot cars which displayed next to the rockets were moved to another part of the store. The space was used to merchandise GOAT Guns.

The Santee HobbyTown placed two orders through a hobby distributor for the Q-Jet motors. Then the distributor stopped carrying Quest. They never ordered any of the later White Lightning motors.

Yes, the rocket section has been reduced by at least half. The slot cars which displayed next to the rockets were moved to another part of the store. The space was used to merchandise GOAT Guns.
The retail hobby market seems to continue having difficulties stocking rocketry products. Whether this is intentional or consequential to other industry trends, I’m not sure. Could be why one of our competitors appears to be shifting increasingly to online sales, offering big discounts on a regular basis that can’t sit too well with retailers.

The retail hobby market seems to continue having difficulties stocking rocketry products. Whether this is intentional or consequential to other industry trends, I’m not sure. Could be why one of our competitors appears to be shifting increasingly to online sales, offering big discounts on a regular basis that can’t sit too well with retailers.
I have noticed hobby shops keeping less inventory of hobby rocketry products than in the past (If you want to go back 50 years).
It seems to me that back in the 1970s hobby shops carried much more inventory and variety of rocketry items. Not every hobby shop but one was likely to see much larger displays of rocketry items than today even with more hobby rocketry manufacturers.

I remember talking to a hobby shop owner over thirty years ago at a hobby trade show. He said he liked rocketry because all he had to do was hang it on a peg and it sold. Perhaps the rocketry manufacturers have made the product too easy to sell so there is less involvement by the store staff in the sale of the product. I know that when an R/C truck is sold there is often a bunch of aftermarket parts and things that can be sold for use with the truck. My experience selling R/C cars in hobby shops decades ago involved selling the car kit, R/C radio, battery and battery charger each made by a different manufacturer and plenty of options for each of these items. Then you could add on aftermarket tires/wheels, more powerful motors, etc.

Maybe rocketry needs to be more difficult to undertake so that hobby shop staff will have to know more about the product and how to sell it.

Sorry to see the issue you had, but why should Aerotech dig into their pocket to cover a confirmed end-user error? That does not seem reasonable to me.

What about a known manufacturing defect from their vendor resulting in diminished motor performance?

I did contact Karl and his response was an explanation of the issue but no countermeasures other than "we hope they fix it..."

No damage to the rocket or casing (that I'm aware of, haven't closely inspected one of the components), but I was disappointed in the reduced altitude and velocity.

I will discuss this in our staff meeting this week. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks. The pre-built fincans make Quest-based rockets basically Erector Set builds, great for low/mid-power test rockets and other wild-hare designs.

I have a good supply of 35mm tubes and fin cans, but I'd love to see the nose cones for sale again. The couplers wouldn't hurt either.

Back