A foggy memory of an old design called the V32...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Howe

Teknofossil
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
today I was doing my thing cleaning critter cages (besides my day job my wife I operate a small wildlife rescue center) I had a sudden mental flash of a old rocket design that used multiples of tiny fins. I remembered seeing it in an edition of American Aircraft Modeler. Poking around the web I found an archive of these old magazines and found the plan listed in the July 1969 issue. But no actua lplans. Now I have some of dads old AAM in my attic so I figured I could look later. But lo and behold when I Googled the V32 model rocket and the issue date the plan popped up on JimZ's Space Modeling.org.

Thank You Jim!

This design may be an interesting build as a longer length design for experimental projects. I uploaded them so if anyone wants to see them they don't have to hunt.

Thoughts?v32a.jpg v32b.jpg

Look like it might be a candidate for Gas Dynamic Stabilization and man is that a lot of fins....

I remember this.
My father had a subscription to this magazine and I read it as a kid.
My brother has it and other model airplane magazines going back to the 1950's. Sometimes being a hoarder is good.

M

Pretty cool... thanks for posting.

Open Rocket says it works... but doesn't like all the fins. It also needs an 18" chute instead of a streamer.

Question: If a V-2 had 4 fins, shouldn't a V-32 have 64?

V-32 Open Rocket.jpg

Last edited:
Is that paper shroud necessary? I’d think leaving the cavity open would work the same.

And who wants to see a BT-80 or BT-101 upscale flying on Q-jet 18mm or 24mm D-12s?

I confess that my design here was inspired in part by the V-32

Goofy-Plan-p-18.gif plan (and in part by the Estes Prime Number Explorer).

The article calls for the shroud/nozzle to be painted with Centuri Flameproofing Solution - what did that consist of?

I'm sure if someone 3D printed that fin setup they would have plenty of people on the forum who wanted one to play with. That's just a hint if anyone's paying attention...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back