Vintage plans for "Thunderbird" swept wing, motor-eject design from 60's/70's???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, as a kid I built a Boost Glider from plans which I think I got from some borrowed "Model Rocketry" magazines an older friend of mine loaned to me for awhile back in the 1970's.

I think it was called the "Thunderbird", I've tried to find in in archives online through the NAR website, "Model Rocketry" magazine archives, various JimZ archives and I'm coming up empty.

It was A through D motor capable, Swept-wing like the Sky-Slash or Hawk, and like those designs, it had a fixed forward pod that ejected the motor (and not ejecting a removable motor pod like say, the "Flat-Cat") and an aerodynamic experimental "doubler" leading edge on the top of the wing as part of the original design . Of course, I put a D12-? in it on a breezy day in Cheyenne, Wyoming, it went REALLY high, ejected the motor and with binoculars, I watched it sail away forever, years later it was found and told about it by a friend who had a job as a kid cleaning garbage off of the roof of a Gibson's department store and found what sounded exactly like my boost glider down to details like the metallic green paint on the motor-pod and other trim but all ruined by the weather. I think of this glider often lately.

Does anyone else remember this Gem and know where I can find plans? If not, I'm sure I can come up with something similar from scratch.

Thanks - Paul

Back