• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

60,000feet in 60seconds; MD N5800; Cesaroni Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking forward to this attempt.

I am thinking the best thing you can do to raise money is go to local business and try to get sponsorships and make this launch very interesting to the local new stations. That way you can get a good backing and an audience for potential sponsorships.

Bandman444,

I was wondering if putting your project on Kickstarter would make it easier to raise the funds. Just a thought. I have never put anything on Kickstarter, so I don't really have any experience with it. I recently followed a few board game projects on Kickstarter and after reading your thread, wondered if it would be of any help to you.

Anyhoo, best of luck with the project,

Mike

Rockethub.com is very similar to kickstarter, I feel that rockethub has more of a scientific audience, but to be fair I don't know very much about either.

Please be sure to check out our Rockethub campaign I would really appreciate any donation size.

Thanks for the interest

Bryce, Jared --

First off, congrats on your 30k flight. Now, a couple of points:

1. Tripoli has over 14,000 members. Most of them fly rockets. Since you both spend a ton of time on this forum, you may have noticed that it's fairly common for full grown adults with full time jobs to speak of how they are limited in their advancement within the hobby by funding. While it's fine to ask for help and clearly many people on here are willing, able, and glad to help out college kids (I am a college kid too, for what it's worth) your time might be better spent in other ways, either earning money for yourself like everyone else in the world or by re-evaluating your project, which leads me to my next point.

2. $4,400 to fly a 4" minimum diameter project is a patently ridiculous number, and I will speak from experience here because I built and flew my first 4" minimum diameter rocket over five years ago, my junior year of high school. The CTI N5800 is just a basic high solids, aluminized propellant (70/16 if memory serves). I built a 4" carbon project and flew it on an O motor with 58" of a propellant more aluminized than C-Star. The rocket held together just fine at over Mach 3 and the whole project cost me less than $1500. It didn't have a titanium tip. In fact, it had plastic rail buttons which only melted a little bit.

3. Please don't insult everyone's intelligence by asking them to fund the project of a "poor college kid," and then when people try to help you, a) make excuses about why you can't raise the money yourself and b) refuse to share details of your project to people kind enough to show interest in funding it because you think you're doing something proprietary. As you are inexperienced flyers asking others (in many cases, more experienced flyers) to fund your project with their hourly wage, you have zero right to talk with any sort of authority, especially when a cursory review of the "secret details" you've blessed the public with quickly reveals your inexperience ("we need titanium because sims show it approaches the melting point of aluminum," "last time we used plexiglass fin guides in the curing oven and they warped, wood will work better." If you want to grab people's attention with your project and then withhold details you have every right to do so, but then don't come shamelessly asking for help.

This project is not that difficult. For what it's worth, it won't come close to 60,000 feet, regardless of what sims say, especially with a motor like the N5800 which accelerates quickly in the thick air close to the ground (that's one reason why so many MD projects shred on this motor). So, you might be well served to lose the lemonade-stand fundraising strategy playing off people's good will and spend more time reducing costs from the astronomical $4,400 estimate to a point where you can pay for it yourselves. Between three people it should be easy. One way to do this might be asking the advice of those more experienced -- then you would learn what people have and haven't been able to get away with, learn what's really necessary, and better know where to spend your money. Or, if you're set on being Super High Tech! and Awesome! and sticking with the $4,400 number, all the time you've spent with your shameless self-promotion, website set-up, and forum posting, there's a million ways you could have made that money already, especially among three people. As Mitch said, I manage to hold a job, be a college athlete, and take 18 credit hours. Doable.

One way to dramatically reduce costs is by not flying a commercial motor. You can borrow hardware (a much more reasonable request than borrowing 4 grand), or, since it sounds like you have machining capability, make your own. Find a member closeby with mixing apparatus and mix your own propellant. Can't fly EX in California? Go to Nevada and fly it with Aeropac. Figure it out.

Last summer, I had to buy a car, so it drained my bank account a bit. I had longstanding plans to attend Balls and wasn't about to cancel, but I could no longer afford to complete the 6" MD project I was working on. Still wanting to get decent performance, I bought a Competitor and Intimidator 3 ($129 each) and used the kit parts I didn't need to make an interstage. The two-stage design allowed me to use common 3" hardware I already had and still have a Balls-worthy project. I tweaked the propellant and grain geometry to get max performance, used some scrap carbon on the fins and had a two-stage M-to-N Balls project ready to fly for under $400. Sure, some of that was because I used parts I already had, but you all just flew a 3" minimum diameter so you clearly already have electronics and the like. In the end the accelerometer gave up the ghost and fired the apogee charge on the sustainer early, just after sustainer motor burnout at around 35k' when it was still traveling over Mach 2, so the sustainer shredded. But with good construction fundamentals and through careful design (the interstage coupler, the weakest joint, was double-walled by the sustainer motor hardware, etc.) I was able to make a 55k-capable Balls project out of parts designed to fly on J motors (and priced accordingly) and make it work. Of course, I'm not sure why I went to the trouble -- I could have set up a website and asked people on The Rocketry Forum for money. Wish I'd thought of that.

There are many on this forum who for some reason take it upon themselves to always tell people to back down from a project. "You're not experienced enough!" "Try something smaller first!" etc. Believe me, that's not my intent. As you all surely found out from your 3", which to my knowledge was in itself a jump up from what you had been flying, common sense can get you a long way and most "extreme" projects really aren't that difficult, especially if you're flying commercial motors. So, go for it.

Good luck!

Alright, first off, if you have never been to the forum before, it is hard for me to put much faith in your post. If you are a member of the forum, and you made a new account just to tell us that our idea is a waste of this community's time because we don't have the finances, be an adult and use your actual forum name.

Now, I will address the points as you come across them.

1) We never claimed to be the same as every other member of Tripoli, NAR or CAR. We are three college students who intend to build a vehicle to successfully fly over 50000 ft AGL and over mach 3.8. We have seen these attempts before using the N5800 C-Star, and they all have failed. We do not know the exact reasons why each rocket failed, and we do not care. Every member in our group is an Aerospace Engineering student, and we are working with our colleges as well as each other to complete this project. Now I ask, if we were to attach a thermocouple to this rocket, as we did with our 3" 30k rocket, would that legitimize this request, or would our effort still completely be in vein as we cannot finance the project ourselves in the time permitted.

We do not have the money, at this very moment, to complete this project in its entirety. We have the capital, in the long run, to complete the project easily, but as we are under severe time constraints, namely before the end of the year, we must ask the community to help us out with the finances so we are not so pressured.

2) I don't know your actual forum name so this will be hard to talk against, but I did not set our money goal. Frankly it doesn't matter what the goal is, as unless the goal is completed in an astonishingly short amount of time, we may or may not actually achieve it, and as such it helps to over shoot. I did not write any of our advertising material on this forum, so I cannot be personally held responsible, but I back Bryce in his attempt to help us get funding. I have no issue with returning whatever money is left over to the people who donated, as we would have no further use for it, and we would not attempt to deceive the community.

3) As I said previously, I have no issue with giving any and all information I have obtained in my simulations to any potential investors, but at this point, I do not feel comfortable posting it all on the internet for anyone who may be interested. If my stress simulations show that a certain fin shape will fail, and that allows another person seeking this contest to modify their design and launch first, I would be responsible for that help. While we all are in the same community, we are trying to win a fairly large reward, valued at ~$2000. So, if you would like me to send you my pressure and heat flux simulations, I would be happy to. However, telling me that I have no right, especially when the claim is based off false information, as I explained in the sentence above, is very rude.

On the point regarding the project as not difficult, and not expensive, put your money where your mouth is and prove us wrong. I honestly don't care what your opinion is on our techniqiues or our fundraising procedures so long as you hide behind a fake forum account.

We are flying an N5800 because that is what the contest demands, and we would not be making a monetary push if we were not working to claim the record and grab a successful flight.

Your last sentences do not do much to lessen my anger at your overall post. If you had come up with your legitimate credentials and told us of your concerns and reservations in a more tactful manner, I would in no way be angry. I would disagree in some areas, but overall your points are not misguided. I thank you for trying to help us become more financially self sufficient, but in this time span, we do not have the time to do it.

On a personal note, I am leading my college in building and firing a 100lb liquid engine. I am paying for it completlely out of pocket until I can gain a corporate sponsorship, so that is where all of my expendable income is going. One of my teammates will have an internship this summer, the pay of which I do not know. The other teammate, Bryce, does make money, and he is going to put a lot of his money into the Rockethub account. I donated over 1/3 of the total donations currently accounted for. So yes, we are putting in our own money, and we are attempting to make it transparent by donating it to the fund instead of funneling the money away.

If you, prophecy, would like to continue this, please do so via private forum message.

If anyone would like to inquire about anything to help elucidate the design, feel free to ask here or in private forum message.

Last edited:
Good luck with reaching your goals and the launch is successful

Bryce, Jared --

First off, congrats on your 30k flight. Now, a couple of points:

1. Tripoli has over 14,000 members. Most of them fly rockets. Since you both spend a ton of time on this forum, you may have noticed that it's fairly common for full grown adults with full time jobs to speak of how they are limited in their advancement within the hobby by funding. While it's fine to ask for help and clearly many people on here are willing, able, and glad to help out college kids (I am a college kid too, for what it's worth) your time might be better spent in other ways, either earning money for yourself like everyone else in the world or by re-evaluating your project, which leads me to my next point.

Where'd you get 14k from?

Post a highly critical message and you end it with this?

Good luck!

thefuck.png

I just want to say, I have been talking with Bryce in private about this and their 30K project and he and his group seem like a great, intelligent group of kids. I know where they're coming from, I'm a kid who struggles even to fund my projects which are half the size and a quarter the price of this project. Having to juggle school, work, althetics, rocketry, friends, and everything else is a tough act. So I please ask all of you, suck it up and donate $10, these kids won't dissapoint.

Manny

We have seen these attempts before using the N5800 C-Star, and they all have failed. We do not know the exact reasons why each rocket failed, and we do not care.

This is a really shortsighted, boneheaded statement. You guys obviously don't have a ton of experience flying projects of this magnitude and the best resource you have available is to investigate the design and failure points of the previous attempts. Understand the failure modes of each one, so that you can ensure your project doesn't succumb to the same fate.

...we are trying to win a fairly large reward, valued at ~$2000.

If you guys insist on funding this project by donations, I think it would make sense to pledge to sell the prize and donate the proceeds to a worthy cause and "pay it forward".

Donations were solicited to support other rocketry projects, including the launch of Steve Eve's Saturn V. The way I see it is that this group is offering us the chance to participate in the project by making a donation.

-- Roger

We have seen these attempts before using the N5800 C-Star, and they all have failed. We do not know the exact reasons why each rocket failed, and we do not care.

That last statement was about the worst thing you could possibly say in order for me to lose interest in this project.

That last statement was about the worst thing you could possibly say in order for me to lose interest in this project.

Yeah ... that statement bothered me, too. For something as challenging as this, learning from what others have tried is important.

-- Roger

I wouldnt donate no matter what he did unless the prizes were bigger or he posted a dsign file.

Keep in mind the three main potential failures are:

Fins being torn off

Fin fatigue/disintegration (flutter)

Nosecone cone implosion (Structural failure)

So those are the areas we are focusing on as possible failure points.

I apologize for those that are offended by the statement made by Jared about not caring about what the past failures were.

Much can and Will be gained from the previous attempts.

It is very easy to get overheated when someone openly insults your intelligence. And I believe Jareds post was a very well worded response to the offending post.

We have and are taking a lot of time to review everything we can about not just N5800 failures, but many different minimum diameter failures. This project is in NO way a let’s-just-put-fins-on-it-and-see-what-happens. And that is a very easy assumption to make. Behind the scenes there is a tremendous amount of work that will be worth it in the end. From what alloy of Al to use, to what are the benefits to having a 3degree bevel versus and 5 deg bevel. We are running many sims per day based on the precious day’s data.
True, we aren’t sharing a lot of data with you guys, I’m sorry. But everything is changing constantly. If we posted a RASAero file, it would be accurate for an hour before our next data run is complete, then we add inches here, take them away here, add weight there, include more detail.

Thank you very much for staying with us on this project and we hope that we can prove to be a formidable force against the N5800 challenge.

So you expect us to give you $4,400 to reinvent the wheel? Not gonna happen.

We have the capital, in the long run, to complete the project easily, but as we are under severe time constraints, namely before the end of the year, we must ask the community to help us out with the finances so we are not so pressured.

If you already have the capital, why are you asking for any money? This sentence makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know your actual forum name so this will be hard to talk against, but I did not set our money goal. Frankly it doesn't matter what the goal is, as unless the goal is completed in an astonishingly short amount of time, we may or may not actually achieve it, and as such it helps to over shoot. I did not write any of our advertising material on this forum, so I cannot be personally held responsible, but I back Bryce in his attempt to help us get funding. I have no issue with returning whatever money is left over to the people who donated, as we would have no further use for it, and we would not attempt to deceive the community.

If you aren't responsible for anything, then why are you being so defensive and why should we listen to you in the first place? Also, why are you so hung up on this "fake forum name" conspiracy theory?

3) As I said previously, I have no issue with giving any and all information I have obtained in my simulations to any potential investors, but at this point, I do not feel comfortable posting it all on the internet for anyone who may be interested. If my stress simulations show that a certain fin shape will fail, and that allows another person seeking this contest to modify their design and launch first, I would be responsible for that help. While we all are in the same community, we are trying to win a fairly large reward, valued at ~$2000.

Ahhh, so what you are really after is cash for the sake of getting cash.

On the point regarding the project as not difficult, and not expensive, put your money where your mouth is and prove us wrong. I honestly don't care what your opinion is on our techniqiues or our fundraising procedures so long as you hide behind a fake forum account.

Back to this again, huh?

Your last sentences do not do much to lessen my anger at your overall post. If you had come up with your legitimate credentials and told us of your concerns and reservations in a more tactful manner, I would in no way be angry. I would disagree in some areas, but overall your points are not misguided. I thank you for trying to help us become more financially self sufficient, but in this time span, we do not have the time to do it.

I would imagine that it is hard to provide you with any concerns and reservations without you first disclosing at least a modicum of design information regarding the project.

In all, the overall content and tone of your post indicates that you haven't done enough research and you don't know how to respond. But to me, and others have said this too, the fact that you have stated that you are completely unwilling to even consider why others have failed is ludicrous and childish. I don't have a problem with you asking for donations at all, as I understand that everyone has unique financial considerations. However, when you start asking for money, you better have a concrete, articulable idea and the willingness to share the specific details as to why your project won't fail when so many others have before you. Also, don't start calling people "investors" in your project unless they are actually going to get some sort of return. You are seeking donations from donors, not investments from investors.

2. $4,400 to fly a 4" minimum diameter project is a patently ridiculous number, and I will speak from experience here because I built and flew my first 4" minimum diameter rocket over five years ago, my junior year of high school. The CTI N5800 is just a basic high solids, aluminized propellant (70/16 if memory serves). I built a 4" carbon project and flew it on an O motor with 58" of a propellant more aluminized than C-Star. The rocket held together just fine at over Mach 3 and the whole project cost me less than $1500. It didn't have a titanium tip. In fact, it had plastic rail buttons which only melted a little bit.

This project is not that difficult. For what it's worth, it won't come close to 60,000 feet, regardless of what sims say, especially with a motor like the N5800 which accelerates quickly in the thick air close to the ground (that's one reason why so many MD projects shred on this motor).

One way to dramatically reduce costs is by not flying a commercial motor.

$4,400 including construction and travel costs are not astronomical for an N 5800 attempt. Note that this competition is specifically and only to fly the N 5800, so the advice to just build an EX motor (exactly what you should suggest to inexperienced flyers as you describe them) doesn't work. When you set a goal, you normally go a bit higher and then survive on less. If the required is 3,500, asking for 4,400 would be standard. Getting three people to blackrock and back for a long weekend is going to take up nearly half of that 4,400. The N 5800 case and reload is $1500 alone, the total cost of your O project. Electronics and airframe parts, construction materials...

The N 5,800 will get 60,000 feet easy on a half-way decent rocket. A good rocket will get 90K on that motor. It is a bit fast for this purpose, but the mass fraction is top notch, and the length is about 10:1, nearly ideal. Slap an 18 inch nosecone on there and some metal fins, and it could probably scrape 100,000 feet. Id like to see any EX motor match the performance of this N. It would take years, maybe decades, to perfect a motor like this on your own. With lots of catos along the way, and more than $4,400 down the drain.

I personally would not fund this project because, if I had the money, I would fly my own rockets instead! My advice is check with hobby vendors, your college, or businesses that cater to students in your area. They have far more money and far more to gain from getting their sticker melted off a rocket.

Last edited:
This type of project needs to be completely designed prior to asking for donations. Building the rocket should just be a formality after you design it and find financing, and it needs to be done in that order.

$4,400 is A LOT of money in this hobby. You could procure materials and fly a rocket on a 6" P motor for that.

You are seeking donations from donors, not investments from investors.

It actually sounds like people are investing in their cause, but without any dividends. They plan to win 2x 98-6XL loads by completing this objective. Not sure how you can reimburse your investors with that type of payout.

It actually sounds like people are investing in their cause, but without any dividends. They plan to win 2x 98-6XL loads by completing this objective. Not sure how you can reimburse your investors with that type of payout.

Well they should say that the first two to give $500 or more automatically get one of the cases should they win. Still a bit risky as there is no guarantee that they will even finish this project. Many projects like this never get built in the first place.

It's a definitional thing. It cannot, by definition, be an "investment" without any expectation of return. Thus, it is a "donation."

Hello everyone,
I am the third member of this group. I have been running numerous sims on Rasaero to find an optimal design for this motor. I attached rasaero file of the design to my post so people can see it. This may not be the final design, but pretty darn close to it. The fin span is 5" giving us enough stability at those high mach numbers to prevent Mach-Lock from happening. We are designing the motor to be the coupler in order to prevent coupler failure which i have seen in a couple of MD projects. Very similar to what TFish and Adrian do. If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

-Tom

View attachment CTI Challenge 4 inch min dia 2.alx1

It's a definitional thing. It cannot, by definition, be an "investment" without any expectation of return. Thus, it is a "donation."

Agreed. Either way, I wouldn't be able to claim a prize on a project that was paid for by someone else, especially without disclosing I was doing so.

Tominator 2 said:
If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
What sort of DoX or optimization technique are you using to determine which variables to change and by how much to get the design where you need it? There are a lot of knobs to turn.

Initially I read this to be a college project. But with the design still being worked out and the goal of winning 2 motors at a ~$2000 value with a race to win it over the summer it seems a bit extreme asking for $4,400 for something previous to a prize being offered there didn't seem to be much for-thought. And it sounds like the community is to buy you a 6xl casing to use and keep. I would think if this was more about a learning and a growth oppurtunity you would of had this modeled before a prize was offered, donate won motors to finacial backers, saved money for the project yourselves, and/or checked within the community if someone would lend a casing. Not trying to sound like a jerk here but it sounds like this is just a cash venture after a prize, if it wasn't about the prize what's the hurry? Couldn't you just build a rocket to fly at a later date that may top the altitude of the person who does win the Cesaroni prize challenge and still set a record?

Hello everyone,
I am the third member of this group. I have been running numerous sims on Rasaero to find an optimal design for this motor. I attached rasaero file of the design to my post so people can see it. This may not be the final design, but pretty darn close to it. The fin span is 5" giving us enough stability at those high mach numbers to prevent Mach-Lock from happening. We are designing the motor to be the coupler in order to prevent coupler failure which i have seen in a couple of MD projects. Very similar to what TFish and Adrian do. If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

-Tom

Good call on providing the model, and talking about how to avoid coupler failure, which is a leading cause of shreds. What's your plan for dealing with aeroheating?

Haha, wow. First off:

I don't have it out for you and I am not a forum regular under another name. There's no conspiracy. I joined the forum to respond to this thread when I saw kids just a little younger than me setting out to do a project which I have done in the past who I believe are going about it the wrong way. Plain and simple. As far as my "credentials" go, I am jealous of all of your post count numbers, what can I say. If you'd like to come speak with me at Balls, several people in this thread know where to find me. I'll be the one wearing a mask because I'm afraid to show my face.

The post was plenty tactful, it was just honest and lacked any engagement in your cause. I really have no stock in the matter as to whether this project succeeds or fails. I haven't flown a commercial motor in years and will leave the "competing for the prize" to you guys. Furthermore, saying that you have no right to talk down on people whom you're asking for money is not misguided and certainly not rude. What's rude is openly stating that you want to do a project that's way out of your budget, that you want to do it your way and your way only, that you're out to prove all the haters wrong and haul in the "significant" cash prize, and that you want other people to pay for it.

Also, I believe, you all started the fundraising thread before switching over to the CTI contest (and the accompanying 2012 time constraint), which eliminates time as the reason for not self-funding. If you're really in a pinch and convinced you can win the prize, taking out a loan at a bank and then either paying it back with the prize money or just paying it off over time as you've stated you are able to do might be more efficient, painless, and make more sense.

New Ocean, sure, it's a fantastic motor -- one of the best out there. It's made with military-grade chems and extruded under vacuum with professional-grade tooling. That said, plenty of motors each year at Balls get the same output. Aluminized propellants with efficient grain geometry will get the job done. Not quite sure what you mean by "match the performance" -- Ns per gram of propellant? Total altitude attained in a minimum diameter rocket?

That said, please don't present speculation as fact with no empirical evidence to back it up. My project hit just over 40k'. A friend later did a similar project on his own and also hit 40k'. Two years ago, another friend flew a 4" minimum diameter with 6 1/2 feet of aluminized propellant (and aluminum fins and an 18" nosecone, for what it's worth) and hit 55k'. Jim Jarvis's super-efficient carbon 2-stager hit 96k' last year with CTI motors in both stages (and a moonburning N1100 lit up in the thin air and burning for 13 seconds). A single stage 4" rocket won't approach 60k, especially with a burn profile like the N5800.

you could pay it forward as Todd suggest, by donating them to underclassmen....... for some, that would be a rightous dividend.

While I dont see a good sale of goods buisness wise in the pleadings for donations here, i wont condemn the effort. Hey, if it works right... I know vendors who "vend" to pay for thier hobby, and otherwise run buisnesses that would go under for bad buisness attitudes... I dont condemn thier customers.....

A single stage 4" rocket won't approach 60k, especially with a burn profile like the N5800.

A good minimum diameter N5800 will blow right past 60k if it doesn't shred. Sim it in RASAero yourself before you contradict others that have. From my own flights I know that RASAero is right on the money for MD rockets with VK nosecones.

Good call on providing the model, and talking about how to avoid coupler failure, which is a leading cause of shreds. What's your plan for dealing with aeroheating?
Thanks, Adrian. And we are planning on going with .25" aluminum bonded to a CF airframe with cotronics or Proline fillets and 5-6 layers of 10.5 oz CF over the root edges.Lastly, high temp paint over that.

The body tube will most likely be PR filament wound CF. And the nosecone will be either a PR filament wound or a shockwave cone.
https://www.shockwaverocketry.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=69

Also, i want to add that i respect everybody's opinion on whether or not we will succeed.
But, I will remind you that the whole point of this contest is to see who can survive the N5800, and the only way we will know for sure is if someone actually goes out does it. That is what we are trying to accomplish.

-Tom

survive the N5800, really? Just get yourself one of those ultimate wildman with the new nose cone...done.

This project has been bothering me for some time. You're finishing college and want to keep building rockets as a group, trying to win contests.....cool

you want us to fund your projects because you don't want to wait, get a loan, work a second job or sell off some of your other rocket stuff......not cool

I won't be contributing, because I've got a bunch of plans myself and the wife only lets me spend so much a year, so had to shelve one of my LDRS projects......tilll next year.

Anyhow, good luck, hope you find your money, somehow, and get 'er done. I also hope you guys continue to pool your experience, expertise and money to make other big & cool projects

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back