60,000feet in 60seconds; MD N5800; Cesaroni Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The internet always seems to forget about this rocket. It shouldn't. (cite; sometimes I feel like I'm turning into JI.)

Bless you for posting this, I had no idea the video was online. Who can I ask for permission to place this on Youtube?

12.jpg

Last edited:
I will say this once, and if you all don't get the message, then I'm done with this thread. We are paying for much of it. I've put in $650 of the total right now, and I intend to put in more, so long as more people donate and I am not carrying the entire project.

I do have a job, and I am working hard to get us a sponsorship so you don't have to tell us that we're horrible people and we aren't pulling our own weight. If I see another message that we can go to school, work, and various other activities, please understand, I am also footing the bill for a liquid engine project for my college rocket team, which has a total development cost around $1000.

So, to reiterate, if I see another berating comment telling us that we are "kids who need to get a job", I will be done with this thread, and my colleagues have agreed.

If anyone would like to help with the current discussion about fin material, it would be appreciated. Also, please stop posting about ISP and experimental fuels. It has absolutely nothing to do with this project and is cluttering up the thread.

I will say this once, and if you all don't get the message, then I'm done with this thread. We are paying for much of it. I've put in $650 of the total right now, and I intend to put in more, so long as more people donate and I am not carrying the entire project.

I do have a job, and I am working hard to get us a sponsorship so you don't have to tell us that we're horrible people and we aren't pulling our own weight. If I see another message that we can go to school, work, and various other activities, please understand, I am also footing the bill for a liquid engine project for my college rocket team, which has a total development cost around $1000.

So, to reiterate, if I see another berating comment telling us that we are "kids who need to get a job", I will be done with this thread, and my colleagues have agreed.

If anyone would like to help with the current discussion about fin material, it would be appreciated. Also, please stop posting about ISP and experimental fuels. It has absolutely nothing to do with this project and is cluttering up the thread.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Aluminum fincans work fine, aluminum fins glued on may have issues.
https://www.ahpra.org/UPPERTB2 r.JPG
This is a picture of an upper stage from an O10000 to a M3700. The aluminum conducts the heat fast enough that the paint was not burned. Mach 4, 75000' on sim. No altimeters at that time to get data.

Mark

Thats interesting. Do you know if they just bonded them? We want to tack them on with cotronics or Proline and then bolt in brackets on either side. So you get a mechanical and a chemical bond.

The Arcas sounding rocket used a similar method and hit similar speeds.
Here is the full document. https://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD0437681&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Page 15 talks about how they solved the fin attachment problem. Check that out.

Last edited:
Thats interesting. Do you know if they just bonded them? We want to tack them on with cotronics or Proline and then bolt in brackets on either side.
Doing something purely mechanical, like https://www.rouse-tech.com/fincans.htm would sidestep the need to use adhesives.

QU8K just welded the fins on but their report doesn't make that sound too appealing. CNCing the whole fincan would be feasible but probably very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back