3D Printing 3D Printing File Repository

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great design and option for rocket AV Bays,
Thanks! I tried to make a thingiverse listing but although it accepted it, I still can't see the page. Figured the tinkercad page would be better anyhow, then people can more easily modify it or export it for slapping it into their bays. I recommend 3/4" 2-56 nylon screws and nuts (metal would work but why not save weight) and the version with the lever removed, tolerances are better and it's been flight proven on a few rockets now. Sand the end of the bicycle spoke round with the no-lever version. If you don't have any, the local bike shop probably will give you some mildly bent ones out of the trash that will work fine.

I like that retainer. Can the knurling ribs fit inside the BT-60?

Would it be worth shortening them to allow the sleeve to nest? And/or radiusing the leading ends?

It could be reduced; but it's quite thin already and it would get very hard to grip if fit inside the tube (could add some tabs on the aft end of it). I may go with another type of retention on the build.

Thought I put these 29-38mm adapters in this thread. Guess not. Used the DMS/Hobbyline one last weekend with G76. As printed with PETG, it held up fine and should last for many flights.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5971997
I nabbed this for my Hobgoblin. With the motor retainer I had in place, I had to remove 6mm from the thrust ring, but man... this is exactly what I was needing. Thank you! If you want the modded STL, I'll post it up.
38-29 adapter_Dig_baddy_design_modified.jpg

I nabbed this for my Hobgoblin. With the motor retainer I had in place, I had to remove 6mm from the thrust ring, but man... this is exactly what I was needing. Thank you! If you want the modded STL, I'll post it up.
This is a follow-up on the adaptor... it worked exactly as designed with PLA+. Minimal deformation when used with a G74, which is to be expected but the motor slid right out without tools post-flight. 🚀

My design for a tray to hold the Loki 38mm 120, 240 and 480 motor casings. I have the OpenSCAD file for it, but can't post that, as .scad is not an allowed file type. Therefore, download the file Loki_38mm_120-240-480_Hardware_Tray.txt and rename it.
Ignore the old files. Here's the working files:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6110434
c6da3c3fa9aec8dc0fa7918840a37adb152c6b7c-1.png

Attachments

• Loki_38mm_120-240-480_Hardware_Tray.stl
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Loki_38mm_120-240-480_Hardware_Tray.scad
    807 bytes · Views: 0
Good day everyone. I am looking for an stl file to reproduce the 1:100 Saturn V Service Module's RCS quad motors. I was building my Saturn V and painting the tiny motors. But afterwards I put them in my shirt pocket, forgot about them, and promptly put the shirt in the laundry. I'm missing 3 of them.

I just found out my local library can print them for me so I was wondering if anyone has these in a file I can use. Thanks in advance!

Good day everyone. I am looking for an stl file to reproduce the 1:100 Saturn V Service Module's RCS quad motors. I was building my Saturn V and painting the tiny motors. But afterwards I put them in my shirt pocket, forgot about them, and promptly put the shirt in the laundry. I'm missing 3 of them.

I just found out my local library can print them for me so I was wondering if anyone has these in a file I can use. Thanks in advance!
First, I am embarrassed to say that I do not know much about this rocket. I have seen the one at Kennedy Space Center in Florida but I need to study up. However, I am going to do some poking around to see if I can find what you are looking for.

Do you happen to still have one that you can take a picture of? I have found a couple of models that might work. If they are to scale, I'll link the model. If I have to rescale, I'll post the STL.

In the meantime, try searching on Thangs. They're like Google for 3D models.

@Lord Rory Gin,

I may have found something for you. On Thingiverse, I found THIS model. In the file list, there is one called Small_Parts.stl (see attached file below). The modeler claims it is at 1/100 scale, so this might work for you. If not, let me know and I will keep looking.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2941984

Attachments

• Small_Parts.stl
    794 KB · Views: 0
Hmm, close but I'm not convinced that it is 1:00 scale. I am going to talk to Estes CS to see if they would supply me with a replacement set from the Saturn 1B. I'm just about ready to place an order but I am waiting for them to release their Black Brant XII before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
The following are the STLs for the prints used in my 2.64" Madcow Bomarc build (Link)

Reference Photos (Click to enlarge)
MC Bomarc-01.jpg
MC Bomarc-02.jpg

Dorsal Conduit/Tunnel
Top (Green Parts)
Bottom (White Parts)

Wing Hold-Down Anchors (Yellow Parts in airframe)
Fwd Anchor (Left of coupler)
Aft (Right of coupler)

Parts positioned to the left of airframe

Yellow Parts (Left to Right)
Recovery Anchor (Eyebolt mount)
Ramjet Pylon Airfoil/Contour [4 Required]

Red Parts - Front Row (Left to Right)
Ramjet Alignment Jig (Not yet tested)
Tail Section Alignment Guide
Pylon Alignment Guide
Dorsal Marking Guide [v3]

Attachments

• Dorsal Conduit (Top-5).stl
    165 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Bottom-1).stl
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Top-4).stl
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Top-3).stl
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Top-2).stl
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Top-1).stl
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Bottom-2).stl
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Bottom-3).stl
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Conduit (Bottom-4).stl
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing Hold-Down Anchor (Fwd).stl
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing Hold-Down Anchor (Aft).stl
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Recovery Anchor.stl
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Ramjet Pylon Airfoil.stl
    117.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Ramjet Alignment Jig.stl
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tail Section Alignment Guide.stl
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Pylon Alignment Guide.stl
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Dorsal Marking Guide [v3].stl
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
2.64" MC Bomarc STLs Continued

Red Parts - Back Row (Left to Right)
Tail Assembly Jig
Airframe Drill Guide
Wing Drill Guide [Fwd]
Wing Drill Guide [Aft]

Attachments

• Tail Assembly Jig.stl
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Airframe Drill Guide.stl
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing Drill Guide [Fwd].stl
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing Drill Guide [Aft].stl
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
The following are the STLs for the prints used in my 2.64" Madcow Bomarc build (Link)

Reference Photos (Click to enlarge)
View attachment 607689
View attachment 607690

Dorsal Conduit/Tunnel
Top (Green Parts)
Bottom (White Parts)

Wing Hold-Down Anchors (Yellow Parts in airframe)
Fwd Anchor (Left of coupler)
Aft (Right of coupler)

Parts positioned to the left of airframe

Yellow Parts (Left to Right)
Recovery Anchor (Eyebolt mount)
Ramjet Pylon Airfoil/Contour [4 Required]

Red Parts - Front Row (Left to Right)
Ramjet Alignment Jig (Not yet tested)
Tail Section Alignment Guide
Pylon Alignment Guide
Dorsal Marking Guide [v3]

Thank you for sharing!

One of the things to watch out for when creating or using an STL file as part of an assembly is the position of the coordinate system.
In this case it has been created inside a volume with the z axis not central to the nose cone.
Looking at this file in SCAD you can clearly see that.
1703632488146.png
While this would be ok for printing as the slicers generally automatically center an STL as it gets imported, it could be better used as part of an assembly if it was centered as an STL.
You can do this quite easily by opening the STL in CURA, selecting the object, click center, leave the object selected and then export the selected object as an ASCII STL object.
When you reimport the saved STL (GooNoseCentred.stl) it should be centered on the z axis.

1703633012915.png

You can then use SCAD now it's centered to easily create further components from it.
Hope someone finds this useful.
Merry Christmas
Norm

Remarkably, I have just what you're looking for. Even more remarkably, I was able to find it. If you're talking about filament printing, you'll probably find that a 1/100 quad is too small. If your library has a resin printer, go for it. This model is much more detailed than the original model. I'll include an .stl of a 1/100 quad, the OpenSCAD file that generates it, and a few pics. Even the text of the label on the quad if you want to go crazy. If you get it printed, post a pic.

The OpenSCAD code is well commented, so in it you can change the scale, and decide if you want the nozzles solid or hollow (at this scale they'd need to be solid). I really thought I'd modeled the panels on the sides of the RCS and the corner feet, but I guess I'd never gotten around to it. Hmmm, I was never happy with the nozzle throat either (but at any small scale it'd have to be thickened for strength anyway).

(The proportions of the stl look off from the pic below, but that's just the perspective of the CAD view. The dimensions are correct.)
RCSmodel.JPGSM RCS.jpgRCS Nozzle.jpg

Attachments

• RCS CLUSTER LABEL.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Apollo SM RCS cluster.scad
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Apollo SM RCS cluster 1-100.stl
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That brings up a question. The picture below is of a display Apollo (Houston, I think). Are those (ugly) plastic simulated nozzles (so they wouldn't have to leave real thrusters on display), or are they a cover over the real nozzles? I've scanned my pics and I don't have a close enough picture of a flight CSM on the pad to tell if they wear a cover. I do have pics of a CSM in the VAB where they are wearing obvious 'remove before flight' covers.

Though now that I look at it, I don't think those plastic things even have the right shape to contain a real nozzle. What do you think?

Attachments

• Apollo Capsule 14.jpg
    Apollo Capsule 14.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
I've improved the fillet rendering on the fin can generator. Not updated on this site yet. But here's a taste.
1704211490063.png
And once rendered to an STL in SCAD (RENDERING TIME WAS 11 SECS on a 4 year old laptop) and imported to Cura.... Now I've got the methodology in SCAD sorted out, It will be a few days to fully do the typing to tidy up and test.
Selection_764.jpg

As anyone who has attempted to do a proper fillet in a parametric design will tell you, it's a complete pain and will involve WAY more of your time than you anticipate....... @kalsow @vcp And then some more........ The Minkiwski fillet tool WORKS..... BUT..... takes WAY too long to be practical for fin cans.
I had it working but stopped. The approach was just not practical.
The latest version of the fincan designer takes a pragmatic approach. It calculates things close enough that in a print, you won't notice the difference....
Here's a couple of screen shots with a 40mm fillet on a very small fin and a tube just large enough. I'll deposit the updated designer in Norms SCAD Files.
If you find any issues, please let me know. It may take me a bit to address any issues as I'm over it for now...I'll be ok later....
Selection_773.jpgSelection_774.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a model for a solid 1/70 scale apollo launch tower? I do not have the skills or patience to build one that will break on the first flight anyway and it it just looks wrong to fly it without one.

Back