3D Printing 3D Printed Congreve Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
I love stick rockets and I've had a long time plan to make various styles of firework stick rockets as recoverable model rockets which can be flown at rocket events with commercial or sugar motors. I found this on Thingiverse and decided to give it a try.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4319611
Congreve01.jpg

The files were sliced with Cura with 20% infill. I don't think it needes the skirt, but I wasn't sure if the tall body needed the extra support at the bottom. The filament is just Creality PLA.

Congreve02.jpg

From the left, 3 bands to hold the stick, the nosecone with a shoulder under it, coupler, the rocket body which has a retainer threada and motor mount inside it, a retainer cap, and a thrust ring for BP motors.

Congreve03.jpg

Assembly was straight forward. I used BSI 15 minute epoxy. First slide the bands onto the rocket body. There are tabs to help you align everything. They slide in from the top. There is a slight flare on the rear end of the rocket body as a stop. Use a thin layer of epoxy for each band.

The rocket body and nose cone shoulder each have a mount for the shock cord. I used about 4 feet of thin Kevlar tied off to each piece. The coupler gets epoxied to the rocket body and the shoulder gets epoxied into the nose cone.

I'll let everything cure and add the stick later. I haven't decided if I'll use a parachute or a streamer for recovery yet .

I found a Poplar dowel long enough at Lowe's and added it to the rocket body today. It is a nice and snug fit with the printed bands, so I just wicked some thin CA into each joint to secure it. The people who taught me make stick rockers said if there is any bend in the stick, to make sure it curves to the inside. It's hard finding straight sticks unless you rip them yourself, so the slight curve goes in like I was taught.

I'll also add a few strips of foil tape to the stick near the motor for flame protection. I'd like to get 2 or 3 launches before the stick needs replaced or a new body printed.

It's far to windy to launch today, but all it needs is a motor, parachute and better weather. These rockets will weather vane, so conditions and field size are important considerations.

Congreve04.jpg

I found a Poplar dowel long enough at Lowe's and added it to the rocket body today. It is a nice and snug fit with the printed bands, so I just wicked some thin CA into each joint to secure it. The people who taught me make stick rockers said if there is any bend in the stick, to make sure it curves to the inside. It's hard finding straight sticks unless you rip them yourself, so the slight curve goes in like I was taught.

I'll also add a few strips of foil tape to the stick near the motor for flame protection. I'd like to get 2 or 3 launches before the stick needs replaced or a new body printed.

It's far to windy to launch today, but all it needs is a motor, parachute and better weather. These rockets will weather vane, so conditions and field size are important considerations.

View attachment 544988

Did you ever launch this?

Back