• 10-15 years

• 15-20 years

• 20-25 years

• 25+ years

Results are only viewable after voting.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Just realized something today, I joined NAR in July 1989 when was 10 years old. I been a non-stop member for 20 years! How long have you been a NAR member?

Opps. Messed up the poll, cant seem to fix it. repeated years ><

Last edited:

JStarStar

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, I was a member for 2-3 years in the 1970s, and for 5-6 years now, so I guess I am coming up on 10 years total.

It's been about 35 years since I first joined, but ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ben_ullman

Reaction score
I was a member of NAR all of 6 months due to the local club being NAR. Found tripoli and dropped NAR. Tripoli is the best thing since sliced bread :p

Ben

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been a NAR member for more the 30 year....Humm as I think about it closer to 40 but after 20 whos counting LOL.

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been a member for nearly 39 years now (non-stop). Joined October 1970.

NAR #18723

- George Gassaway

cjl

Reaction score
I was a member of NAR all of 6 months due to the local club being NAR. Found tripoli and dropped NAR. Tripoli is the best thing since sliced bread :p

Ben
Why not stay a member of both?

I've been a NAR member for 5 or 6 years now (TRA for a bit over 2).

MarkII

Reaction score

Ben
Well, I'm glad to hear that TRA is working out well for you, Ben, because for what you do, Tripoli is really your only option. :p

In my case, the nearest Tripoli prefecture is even farther away than the nearest NAR section. To get to ASTRE's (NAR #471) meetings or one of their launches, it is a 3 hour drive for me each way. I don't even know where METRA's meetings are held, but their launch field (Pine Island, NY) is double that distance, or six hours of driving each way for me. Tripoli is a fine organization, and I am interested in getting to know some of its members and in learning from them. But since I am not interested in making my own motors, I don't see what joining TRA right now would do for me that NAR doesn't already do, especially since it is extremely unlikely that I would ever get to a meeting or even attend a launch. What constitutes the "best" organization is always a personal decision, based on things like your circumstances, your location, and what you really want to do in rocketry.

I joined NAR in 2006, two years after becoming a BAR. I didn't join it when I was flying model rockets in the late '60's (although I wanted to), because back then I could barely scratch together the money for a handful of kits and enough motors to fly each rocket two or three times. (And when I put them away in 1971, I still had a few motors left over. In my four years of participation in model rocketry as a kid, I think that I did a grand total of about 8 flights with my 5 rocket fleet.) I simply could not put the money together for a membership back then, even though I wanted very much to join. If I had kept going with the hobby back then, I am certain that I would have become a member within a few years, though.

MarkII

Last edited:

RazorConcepts

Reaction score
Interesting. You see a lot of people joined NAR from the golden era of rocketry, then it dies off, then a bunch of new guys. Cool thing to see :D

JOAT

Reaction score
Just stumbled onto this forum last week while renewing my NAR membership. I spent many years hanging around on RMR (rec.models.rockets) on Usenet. The spam and politics helped me lose interest in that forum. This looks like a good spot to hang out.

I first joined in '78 but didn't maintain my NAR membership through the mid-80s and into the early 90s as I wasn't into the competition stuff. Rejoined and maintained the membership just to support the hobby, though I've always been a rocket scientist.

:cheers:

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Just stumbled onto this forum last week while renewing my NAR membership. I spent many years hanging around on RMR (rec.models.rockets) on Usenet. The spam and politics helped me lose interest in that forum. This looks like a good spot to hang out.

I first joined in '78 but didn't maintain my NAR membership through the mid-80s and into the early 90s as I wasn't into the competition stuff. Rejoined and maintained the membership just to support the hobby, though I've always been a rocket scientist.

:cheers:
Welcome aboard. Feel free to jump right in. Questions are always welcome (naturally).

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
I joined Tripoli in August 1988 when I found out about motors larger than F. Joined NAR in January 1989 since the local club was NAR. I've been a member of both since.

Latest posts