3D Printing 2.6" Dia. 3D Printed A4-V2 Missile Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
I found this thingiverse thing a while ago and I have finally got all of the parts printed out. So far I have printed and sanded them, and then glued the 2 nose pieces together. This is as far as I have gotten, but will post more soon! Here is the link to the file on thingiverse: A4/V2 rocket thingiverse link 20230711_160812.jpg

Just finished a lot more of it!

Body tube pieces glued together:
20230711_182707.jpg

Lower fin can piece and motor tube glued:
1689127674521.jpeg

Lower and upper fin can parts glued plus a stiff foamboard upper centering ring I cut out:
20230711_185720.jpg

I hope someone gets something out of or enjoys this! ;)

And now I finished even more!!

Fin can glued to body tube:
20230711_192109.jpg

Same thing showed with nose cone on:
20230711_192253.jpg

Will be painting it with a sort of faded random merged camo using the following colors:
20230711_192455.jpg

This actually has a 24mm motor mount like the Estes version. It is the same size. Here is the comparison:
20230711_195557.jpg

And YES, I did finish painting it just now too. Here are some more pics of the finished product:
20230711_194950 (1).jpg

20230711_195005.jpg
20230711_195007.jpg
20230711_195009.jpg

Sorry if some of the pics are a little blurry- I'm not kidding when I say the camo was so good the camera had a hard time focusing on the rocket! I think the camera thought it was part of the backdrop. Anyway the rocket is actually really light, despite being all 3d printed. It would work, I think, on even a C11 motor! Of course, unless it was in a really small park and I really needed to recover it, I would not fly it on a C11. I plan on flying it at an upcoming launch in brothers, Oregon on an Aerotech E20! The launch will be either on the 21st or 22 of July and I hope to post the launch video within a week of that!

I am glad that you enjoyed my posts on this thread!

Happy flying!

Nice build! Can you tell us, what is the total weight of just the rocket without motor or chute?
I'll watch for it next week in Brothers!

With no motor or recovery the rocket weighs 188.54 grams. Yeah maybe I was exaggerating when I said it would work with a C11, but probably would work with a D12. Anyway I'm flying it on an E20 so I don't think I have to worry about that! I printed it out of PLA with 20% infill so that the walls would be solid but the core of the fins would be partly hollow. See you there, Kelly!! Are you going to try to break that Tripoli G record again?

See you there, Kelly!! Are you going to try to break that Tripoli G record again?
That's a different Kelly, actually. But he sometimes posts here, under hist last name I believe.

Just flew it on an E20 motor in brothers Oregon. Part of one of the fins partially broke midflight, causing it to go sideways at the end! Very interesting flight, but I got it back OK! Here is the launch video:

Attachments

• 20230722_112331_1.mp4
    11.8 MB
The designer (on Thingiverse) describes the design as unstable. Did you modify the rocket in anyway before flight? Nose weight? I've had this one marked as a future print for sometime, but I'd go with PETG, especially after your fin break. .

The designer (on Thingiverse) describes the design as unstable. Did you modify the rocket in anyway before flight? Nose weight? I've had this one marked as a future print for sometime, but I'd go with PETG, especially after your fin break.
Yes I calculated the stability on rocsim and added nose weight. The reason that the rocket went sideways midflight is because the fin broke and caused it to steer under thrust.

Reprint the fins in 100% infill and they won't break. I can guarantee an E20 will still lift it

Yup, I know that. I may try to rebuild it but it isn't on my list right now.

I found this thingiverse thing a while ago and I have finally got all of the parts printed out. So far I have printed and sanded them, and then glued the 2 nose pieces together. This is as far as I have gotten, but will post more soon! Here is the link to the file on thingiverse: A4/V2 rocket thingiverse link View attachment 591577
I have printed this and love the design. Great print.

Back