Secret Santa build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Secret Santa sent me a BNC300BB nose cone from BMS (thanks Pantherjon!), so I'm building a Big Betty upscale with it. I'm calling him "Big Bad Burt". He'll be 3" diameter and 44" long, and weigh about 22oz (without motor) according to Open Rocket. He'll be a center break zipperless design with ejection baffle, and have a 29mm motor mount. I'm building him very stout, with three 1/4" plywood fins and 1/4" centering rings.

screen_shot.jpg

View attachment Big Bad Burt.ork

As with most of my builds, I started by cutting out the centering rings with a hole saw. This is a 3-1/4" saw. I also cut out the bulkhead/baffle that will be epoxied into the coupler, with a 3" saw. Mounting the centering rings on my woodlathe, I cut the outside diameters to final size.

01_centering_rings.jpg

02_centering_rings.jpg

03_baffle.jpg

04_baffle.jpg

05_baffle.jpg

I cut the center holes in the centering rings with a 1-1/8" hole saw, then sanded them to fit the motor tube with my Dremel and a sanding drum. I marked the baffle with a center punch and drilled eight 5/16" holes around the perimeter.

07_centering_rings.jpg

08_baffle.jpg

09_baffle.jpg

10_baffle.jpg

11_baffle.jpg

Since the balsa nose cone is so soft, I epoxied a hardwood dowel in it for the screw eye. I cut grooves in the dowel to give the epoxy more "grab".

12_dowel.jpg

13_dowel.jpg

14_nose.jpg

15_nose.jpg

17_nose.jpg

I cut out the half moon baffle disks with a hole saw, and sealed the pilot holes with epoxy. I also installed the tee nuts.

16_baffle.jpg

18_tee_nuts.jpg

19_tee_nuts.jpg

I installed the eyebolt in the baffle with a fender washer, lockwasher, and nut. I'm paranoid about the eyebolt nut coming loose, so I staked it with a chisel after I cut off the extra length. I also covered it with epoxy.

21_eye_bolt.jpg

22_eye_bolt.jpg

23_eye_bolt.jpg

27_eye_bolt.jpg

28_eye_bolt.jpg

As I've been doing lately, I epoxied blocks to the centering rings for the rail buttons to screw into. It's been working out very well for me. I also got the half moon baffle disks epoxied into the top of the motor tube.

29_centering_rings.jpg

32_centering_rings.jpg

31_baffle.jpg

33_baffle.jpg

34_baffle.jpg

I used a piece of plastic pipe as a spacer to epoxy the forward centering ring to the motor tube at the correct distance from the end. It also keeps the ring square to the tube. I flooded the outside of the coupler and inside of the upper body tube with CA, so I could sand them smooth.

35_motor_mount.jpg

36_motor_mount.jpg

37_coupler.jpg

41_body.jpg

I mounted the coupler on my lathe, and sanded and polished the end with the CA smooth. This is where the rocket will separate during ejection. I also trimmed a section off the coupler since it was so long.

38_coupler.jpg

39_coupler.jpg

40_coupler.jpg

42_coupler.jpg

Nice buiild!

Could please tell me how you post a pic of the open rocket design?

I got the motor mount epoxied in, and the baffle epoxied in the coupler.

43_motor_mount.jpg

44_motor_mount.jpg

45_coupler.jpg

47_coupler.jpg

48_coupler.jpg

I've had my bandsaw for several years, and have never replaced the blade. I bought new Timberwolf blades a few years ago for it, and finally installed one. It was a pain in the butt, but man does that new blade cut!

new_blade3.jpg

new_blade4.jpg

new_blade9.jpg

new_blade12.jpg

With my new bandsaw blade installed, I started on Burt's fins. I used 1/4" birch plywood that I got from Michael's. It's pretty good quality, and very inexpensive. I cut out the fin blanks, traced the pattern on one of them, and drilled 1/4" holes through for dowel pins.

49_fins.jpg

50_fins.jpg

51_fins.jpg

53_fins.jpg

With the fin blanks pinned together, it's very easy to cut them all at once. With the fins still pinned together, I match sanded them with my stationary belt sander. I separated them to do the final sanding.

54_fins.jpg

55_fins.jpg

56_fins.jpg

58_fins.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of it, but I used a piece of aluminum angle to cut the fin slots just like I did on Tank Girl. Using my handy dandy fin alignment jig as always, I started attaching the fins. I'll tell ya, I can't imagine any other way of attaching fins. The jig makes it so easy. And I'm getting better with fin tabs - I didn't have to sand these at all, they were just about perfect. These are the thickest fins I've ever made. It was kinda fun working with the heavier plywood.

59_fins.jpg

61_fins.jpg

69_fins.jpg

71_fins.jpg

72_fins.jpg

Next, probably the most boring part of any build, applying the fillets. The balsa nose cone had a couple of gouges in it and was pretty rough on the tip. So I filled the bad places with Elmer's wood filler.

74_fillets.jpg

76_nose.jpg

77_nose.jpg

78_nose.jpg

After sanding the wood filler down, I put a couple coats of thinned filler on it and sanded it smooth. Turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself. The sun is out, and if it warms up enough today, I'll spray several coats of sanding sealer on it.

79_nose.jpg

80_nose.jpg

81_nose.jpg

After the epoxy had time to set, I sanded the blocks on the centering rings. He's going to be a good looking rocket!

82_centering_rings.jpg

83_centering_rings.jpg

burt1.jpg

Qquake's build threads are the best!
They(threads) make me want to go buy more tools.
I still say qquake has more woodworking tools than this guy.

thumbnail.aspx

Qquake's build threads are the best!

Aw shucks! :blush:

I just like documenting everything, and hope that someone can learn something from my builds. That's how I learned most of what I know about rockets.

Yep. Right now im going to harbor freight tobuy some new tools.

I buy a lot of tools from Harbor Freight. I've had pretty good luck with them. My woodlathe is from there. And I used to have an HF bandsaw, until I bought the Craftsman. It's actually made by Rikon, and has a deeper throat than the HF did.

Looks like someone stayed home today and built himself a rocket! LOL!!

You continue to amaze me as to how quickly you get your birds put together. I sometimes spend months puttering around on my rockets.

I've been looking at the 3-1/4" hole saw blades for making 3" centering rings. I understand that the disks come out a bit over-sized and you turn them down to fit. My question is how much material do you have to remove? I don't have a lathe but think I can turn the disks down using my drill press and a fence with a sand-papered surface. As Gunny Highway says, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Are you using Milwaukee, Bosch or Lenox brand hole saws?

Great build thread ,I love looking at these !

The Timberwolf blades are great ,I can attest to that !

What kind of bandsaw do you have ?

Alright carry on sir :handshake:

Paul T

Looks like someone stayed home today and built himself a rocket! LOL!!

You continue to amaze me as to how quickly you get your birds put together. I sometimes spend months puttering around on my rockets.

I've been looking at the 3-1/4" hole saw blades for making 3" centering rings. I understand that the disks come out a bit over-sized and you turn them down to fit. My question is how much material do you have to remove? I don't have a lathe but think I can turn the disks down using my drill press and a fence with a sand-papered surface. As Gunny Highway says, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Are you using Milwaukee, Bosch or Lenox brand hole saws?

Actually, I opened the package early because I didn't know it was from Secret Santa. So naturally, I ordered the parts and started the build. LOL

A 3-1/4" hole saw should give you a disk about 3" in diameter, which would be about perfect for 3" body tubes. You should be able to sand them to size pretty easily. Most of my hole saws are Starrett. A buddy of mine years ago used to buy pallets of tools to sell at gun shows. He gave me a bunch. I've bought Lennox, DeWalt, and Bosch, but don't have a preference. I've bought a few off Ebay lately pretty cheap. I just got a 4-1/4" one for $17 shipped. They were $28 at Home Depot.

Great thread as usual. Can't wait to see the video of this guy taking to the air.

Great build thread ,I love looking at these !

The Timberwolf blades are great ,I can attest to that !

What kind of bandsaw do you have ?

Alright carry on sir :handshake:

Paul T

My bandsaw is a Craftsman, but I believe it's made by Rikon. Sears doesn't sell them anymore, but it looks the same as this one, just a different color.

Back