Missile Database site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I" haven't seen this stash before (and I spend [too] much time here and at RP!). Nice find and thanks for sharing.

Scott

Really? You guys hadn't seen it before? I have used it extensively, especially for my L2 (a scale AIM-120C). It's a great resource to be sure, and it has a lot of good info.

I`ve had that site in my "favs" for several years now ,and it is a very useful piece of information to be sure.

Thanks for posting the site Bone Daddy ,it should help many others as it has myself :cheers:

Paul T

If you ever do much googling to look up background data on an old missile, you willl probably run into that website pretty quickly. It has lots of data (a mile wide) but in many cases it is not very detailed (an inch deep). Still, it's better than nothing.

I would welcome having a place to post info on websites with good - and not so good - scale data. Or to post a note saying if we have some other form of scale data we would be willing to share. Or to post a note about a museum location with a missile or rocket in it.

I know some folks put a LOT of energy and effort (and $$$) into chasing down decent scale data, and I understand if they don't wish to share it for free. I cannot fault them if they want to make a little profit somehow. But for the rest of us, I just hate the idea of piles of scale data getting moldy in a box in someone's closet because they didn't know anyone else wanted it.

Maybe we could talk Jim Ball's site into hosting a scale data library?

If you ever do much googling to look up background data on an old missile, you willl probably run into that website pretty quickly. It has lots of data (a mile wide) but in many cases it is not very detailed (an inch deep). Still, it's better than nothing.

I would welcome having a place to post info on websites with good - and not so good - scale data. Or to post a note saying if we have some other form of scale data we would be willing to share. Or to post a note about a museum location with a missile or rocket in it.

I know some folks put a LOT of energy and effort (and $$$) into chasing down decent scale data, and I understand if they don't wish to share it for free. I cannot fault them if they want to make a little profit somehow. But for the rest of us, I just hate the idea of piles of scale data getting moldy in a box in someone's closet because they didn't know anyone else wanted it.

Maybe we could talk Jim Ball's site into hosting a scale data library?

Precisely...what a great idea.It would be great to have a library /source on file for all of us to tap into.I know there are many rockets /missiles that are on tap (rockets of the world ,magazines....etc.) but there are always guys out there who have data .but which nobody thinks of asking for (the Russian R-73 thread started by Layne (Pem Tech)
This kind of resourse would be of benefit to all those who scratch build or just want to see what`s out there.
You can never have too many resourses when it comes to rockets.

Paul T

I think we need a different kind of reference library from many of the other, existing internet sources. We are looking for a different level of detail, documentation, color illustration, and authenticity. All you have to do is look at most of the internet sites that are available and see how woefully bad they are.

I mean, I could mention that there is a Nike Ajax propped up, pointing at the sky, right next to hwy 281 in Burnet (Texas, of course). It looks genuine. But I do not recommend that any scale rocketry buff waste a minute trying to get there for pix or measurements, because it has been left in the weather for years, it has had too many layers of bad paint slopped on, and it is in generally pitiful condition.

I could also mention that if you go into the Rock Island Arsenal (between Davenport and Moline) using the entrance on the east end, that there is a little outdoor display park a little ways down the road. It has been some years since I last visited but they had a Little John in very good condition and a launcher that I had not seen before. (There were other weapons on display at that spot too but I don't remember what they all were.) Someone from the local Tripoli club (I think there is one there near Davenport?) could go in there and verify what items are on display.

Sites like Jim Ball's are rare. We all rely heavily on these few sources of good data, and I think we have a responsibility to give back and help these websites grow and improve. I know I have data that I will never use for a competition scale model, so I would be happy to share.

The White Sands Missile Range has a lot of missiles on display to the general public. Since it is in spitting distance from this year NSL I am planning to take advantage of the opportunity. If anyone has a specific interest, let me know, as I will be taking lot of pictures. :)

https://www.wsmr-history.org/

Man ,I would sure like to get out to WSMR some day ,armed with a camera and tape measure.Who knows.....some day.Visiting Russia`s cosmodromes would be a great adventure also.

I agree ,Jim Ball`s fabulous site was and is my "go to" place ever since I found it as a BAR many years ago.It was after finding his site ,I began scratch building ,although I wish I would have known about CP & CG and RockSim.Made for some interesting flights !

Paul

Man ,I would sure like to get out to WSMR some day ,armed with a camera and tape measure.Who knows.....some day.Visiting Russia`s cosmodromes would be a great adventure also.

I agree ,Jim Ball`s fabulous site was and is my "go to" place ever since I found it as a BAR many years ago.It was after finding his site ,I began scratch building ,although I wish I would have known about CP & CG and RockSim.Made for some interesting flights !

Paul

One old idea from years ago when photographing railroad stuff for modelling, make a 4 fool long measuring stick with each foot alternately painted black and white.

Make sure you take pictures as square on the subject as possible and have the yardstick next to of in front of the model in the picture.

I think we need a different kind of reference library from many of the other, existing internet sources. We are looking for a different level of detail, documentation, color illustration, and authenticity. All you have to do is look at most of the internet sites that are available and see how woefully bad they are.

Sites like Jim Ball's are rare. We all rely heavily on these few sources of good data, and I think we have a responsibility to give back and help these websites grow and improve. I know I have data that I will never use for a competition scale model, so I would be happy to share.

Here Here!!
Fantastic idea!
If no one has any objections I would like to volunteer a sub-domain under our URL. Non-profit, and if possible, run it as a ghost domain so our Pem-Tech URL doesn't show. If this is cool with everyone I will check with my hosting service and see if we could extend our drive space and bandwidth.
One catch I can think of, someone else may need to be the webdude for this resource, my time is overdrawn as it is.

What says the crowd?

One old idea from years ago when photographing railroad stuff for modelling, make a 4 fool long measuring stick with each foot alternately painted black and white.

Make sure you take pictures as square on the subject as possible and have the yardstick next to of in front of the model in the picture.

Good idea ,instead of having a ruler or tape ,everything is scaled to the stick.

Paul

Here Here!!
Fantastic idea!
If no one has any objections I would like to volunteer a sub-domain under our URL. Non-profit, and if possible, run it as a ghost domain so our Pem-Tech URL doesn't show. If this is cool with everyone I will check with my hosting service and see if we could extend our drive space and bandwidth.
One catch I can think of, someone else may need to be the webdude for this resource, my time is overdrawn as it is.

What says the crowd?

I like it !

Paul

FWIW, I have an entire server on which TRF and several other sites sit. I can easily create space for this; Layne, that may save you the hassle of dealing with your ISP.

Just thought I'd toss the offer out there.

Nobody would get charged for the space or access to the site.

-Kevin

Wherever it's hosted, I'd be happy to maintain it if you don't have time or if nobody better volunteers.

Cheers,
Phil

FWIW, I have an entire server on which TRF and several other sites sit. I can easily create space for this; Layne, that may save you the hassle of dealing with your ISP.

Just thought I'd toss the offer out there.

Nobody would get charged for the space or access to the site.

-Kevin

Hey, sounds good to me. Whatever floats the Collective Boat. My offer stands if hosting becomes becomes an issue in the future.
Phil, I could share the design and maintenance duties with you, if you like.

Maybe we can make this happen....
:D

Someone want to propose a domain name that's not already taken? Once we have that, I'll get it registered and create a space to host the information.

-Kevin

As nobody else seems to have any ideas, can I suggest we just stick it on a TRF subdomain (scaledata.rocketryforum.com maybe?) for the time being? Save anyone spending money on another domain before we actually have anything to point it to.

Phil

As nobody else seems to have any ideas, can I suggest we just stick it on a TRF subdomain (scaledata.rocketryforum.com maybe?) for the time being? Save anyone spending money on another domain before we actually have anything to point it to.

Phil

Nothing obvious, that wasn't already claimed, comes to mind...

So I second the motion for a TRF sub-domain.

Back