Does your wife know how much you spend on rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does your wife/spouse/partner/significant other know how much money you spend on rock

• She doesn't know or care how much money I spend on rocketry.

• Yes, we make all spending decisions jointly.

• Yes, and she complains about it too.

• No, but even if she knew how much I spend on rocketry, she wouldn't care.

• No, and if she knew how much money I spend on rocketry she would give me a hard time about it.

• I don't have a wife/spouse/partner/significant other.

• I don't have any money.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My wife, no (take a guess why).

My mom, on the other hand...
(Hint, I have to pay everything using her paypal address... :p)

Pretty much in the same boat as Matt...:p

Nate

We each get a bit of money every week that we are allowed to use as we please.
Mine goes towards rocketry

So she doesn't know what I spend, but so long as it is from my "allowance" it doesn't matter

My girlfriend doesn't care how much spend on any my hobbies. It's my money and earned it and besides I'm pretty good at saving money and watching how I spend it regardless.

My wife would disapprove if it weren't for the fact that I make liberal use of Michaels and Hobby Lobby coupons. Plus I just finished a scratchbuild out of recyclables...only store-bought components are the launch lug and the sewing-elastic shock cord. She's more concerned about how much of my time rocketry consumes...

We each get a bit of money every week that we are allowed to use as we please.
Mine goes towards rocketry

So she doesn't know what I spend, but so long as it is from my "allowance" it doesn't matter

This system works, and makes the monthly budgeting far easier. I don't have to sweat when she sports a new pair of boots, and she doesn't have to worry when the HobbyLinc box arrives.

Do what I did, get rid of the wife and you can spend whatever you want.

I just got back into high power rocketry after a 4 1/2 year break and unlike before, I am now married. It's funny because when my friend and I were trying to figure out what size motor to fly for the first launch I said I wanted a K, but it was probably too much. She asked how much and I said about $100. Her response, "oh that's not very much at all. I thought it would be way more than that". Well tomorrow both my wife and my friend attend their first high power launch so we'll see if a K550 is worth $100 to them.
Btw my wife did grow up in Orlando and has a big interest in rockets due to NASA so...

My wife is cool about it. I recently turned all my financial info over to her and put her on everything because I'm lazy and she keeps up on that. We were discussing rocketry and I tol;d her what I spent on black Friday last year. her jaw hit thew ground. I drew up a yearly motor plan that came out to about 8 grand. She easily approved the $400 I really wanted and now supports my desire to go EX

I travel in my profession. I am given a daily allowance (per diem) for meals and incidentals. My rocket money comes from excess per diem. If I want money, I eat a lot of PB&J, or I eat well & have no $$. Since it doesn't affect the household money, she doesn't care.

Response missing from Poll:

"Yes, she knows, and spends more on rocketry than me"

I'm a lucky guy!

All the best, James

I just got back into high power rocketry after a 4 1/2 year break and unlike before, I am now married. It's funny because when my friend and I were trying to figure out what size motor to fly for the first launch I said I wanted a K, but it was probably too much. She asked how much and I said about $100. Her response, "oh that's not very much at all. I thought it would be way more than that". Well tomorrow both my wife and my friend attend their first high power launch so we'll see if a K550 is worth $100 to them.
Btw my wife did grow up in Orlando and has a big interest in rockets due to NASA so...

You don't realize it but your wife was hoping you'd answer her question of how much with the answer, $5000. Then she would have been able to come clean about her big expenditure. Now you'll never know.

We both get an allowance and it's ours to spend however we see fit. Works well this way. Neither of us can complain.

My wife spends more than I do in all areas. She knows better than to say anything.

top choice in poll , but I would dare guess spend 4 times more than she would ever guess

I don't volunteer info on what I spend in Rocketry to my wife. But if asked I tell her. I have on occasion forgot where to put the decimal point when I've told her. I find it easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Last edited:
My wife is cool about it. I recently turned all my financial info over to her and put her on everything because I'm lazy and she keeps up on that. We were discussing rocketry and I tol;d her what I spent on black Friday last year. her jaw hit thew ground. I drew up a yearly motor plan that came out to about 8 grand. She easily approved the $400 I really wanted and now supports my desire to go EX

This is where I am at. My wife doesn't care what I spend ask g as we have the scratch to cover the bills. Besides, rocketry is low buck compare to what I spend on fishing last year.

Are you out of your freaking mind??? That's like telling the IRS you won the Mexican Lottery! EVERYBODY knows each rocket comes with a lifetime supply of motors, right??? Check your dipstick-you're a quart low if you think I'll even admit to MYSELF how much I spend on rockets, let alone tell the Viking Princess!

Are you out of your freaking mind??? That's like telling the IRS you won the Mexican Lottery! EVERYBODY knows each rocket comes with a lifetime supply of motors, right??? Check your dipstick-you're a quart low if you think I'll even admit to MYSELF how much I spend on rockets, let alone tell the Viking Princess!
OH!!
Is that like saying everybody knows that if you crash a rocket, it is replaced for free, and every rocket costs $10?
:p

One of the few good things about getting old is that one's ability to hear deteriorates. I see her lips moving, but, it's difficult to make out the words. So I just nod in agreement and take out the trash.

For you youngsters I suggest "don't ask and don't tell". :duck:

I didn't see a place to check for "wives that spend more than their rocketry husbands." :wink:

My husband doesn't care what I spend but then I seem to have a knack for finding kits and supplies for well below wholesale and multiple engine packs for $1. About a year ago I came across a rural Walmart that had 24 packs of C6-3 engines and dozens of C6-5's, more than 200 engines total. I bought the lot for about $30. When I got home I told him about the purchase and knowing we have little use for C6-3's his only response was "did you get them all?" I said yes I did. He said good, we can always sell them to club members for what you paid and we probably will at some point. We will pass some of the savings on to other people.

I love getting 3 engines for a dollar, don't you?

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

I didn't see a place to check for "wives that spend more than their rocketry husbands." :wink:

My husband doesn't care what I spend but then I seem to have a knack for finding kits and supplies for well below wholesale and multiple engine packs for $1. About a year ago I came across a rural Walmart that had 24 packs of C6-3 engines and dozens of C6-5's, more than 200 engines total. I bought the lot for about $30. When I got home I told him about the purchase and knowing we have little use for C6-3's his only response was "did you get them all?" I said yes I did. He said good, we can always sell them to club members for what you paid and we probably will at some point. We will pass some of the savings on to other people.

I love getting 3 engines for a dollar, don't you?

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm
I donated a motor stash to the club for a raffle. One young buck won 128 ABC motors (mostly C's is what I had) for $3.00-it was like a "guess jelly beans in the jar" thing. not as cool as finding them for a buck a pack tho'-you rock, Verna!

Back