Mile High build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are 15 years old. I think I'm growing less patient as I grow older. I can hardly imagine building one now.

Ari.

I made some brackets out of brass to attach the charge canisters to. I don't want them flopping around during flight.

391_brackets.jpg

392_brackets.jpg

393_brackets.jpg

394_brackets.jpg

395_brackets.jpg

Jim, I'm confused about your wiring. You have screw terminals but also JST connectors. On my Onyx, I have wires from screw terminals go directly into the altimeter. I'm unclear on the role JSTs play in your setup.

Ari.

Jim, I'm confused about your wiring. You have screw terminals but also JST connectors. On my Onyx, I have wires from screw terminals go directly into the altimeter. I'm unclear on the role JSTs play in your setup.

Ari.

The connectors are so I can disconnect the terminals on the bulkheads to be able to take the sled out of the av-bay. I'll need to do that to change the battery, etc. I'll also use them to connect the charges for ground testing.

Ah! I understand now. On my Onyx, I simply make the wires longer so I can take out the bulkheads.

Ari.

I made some brackets out of brass to attach the charge canisters to. I don't want them flopping around during flight.

Why not?

Isn't the point of using canisters like that so you can put them in the other end of the BT from the Alt-bay? They don't actually "flop" around BTW. If you want them attached to the alt-bay bulkhead, why not use a powder well/holder that's permenately attached to the bulkhead instead of having to buy new canisters every flight?

I got the aft shock cord done. I sure hope that Kevlar holds up, it feels awfully flimsy to me. But then, the drogue is only 15". It shouldn't put much of a shock on the Kevlar when it opens.

406_shock_cord.jpg

407_shock_cord.jpg

I'm going to call my first ground test a success. It was only 0.5 gram of BP, but it was more energetic than I expected. If the bundle of Kevlar hadn't caught on the box, I think it would have stretched it all the way out.

[YOUTUBE]tFywz2DlqZg[/YOUTUBE]

408_ground_test.jpg

409_ground_test.jpg

410_ground_test.jpg

411_ground_test.jpg

412_ground_test.jpg

The Kevlar also caught on the Coastlock swivel. Needless to say, I won't be using it.

414_swivel.jpg

415_swivel.jpg

I just didn't feel comfortable with the thin Kevlar. It felt flimsy to me. So I figured out a way to use the 1/4" Kevlar. I feel more confident about its strength.

418_kevlar.jpg

419_shock_cord.jpg

420_shock_cord.jpg

423_shock_cord.jpg

424_shock_cord.jpg

I got the shear pins installed. I'm using 2-56 nylon screws. I drilled the holes with a 1/16" bit, and threaded them with a 2-56 tap. I didn't put in brass plates, but I'm hoping the Blue Tube will be tough enough to not need them.

426_shear_pins.jpg

427_shear_pins.jpg

428_shear_pins.jpg

429_shear_pins.jpg

425_shear_pins.jpg

Looking good! Waiting to spot for you at Snow Ranch!

Ari.

Ground tested the forward section, with shear pins. I used 0.7 grams of BP this time.

436_scale.jpg

437_charge_tube.jpg

440_ground_test.jpg

441_ground_test.jpg

444_ground_test.jpg

It broke the shear pins cleanly and stretched out the shock cord. I'd say that was successful!

[YOUTUBE]6UL5TslJpy8[/YOUTUBE]

460_ground_test.jpg

463_ground_test.jpg

groundtest2_sequence1.jpg

groundtest2_sequence2.jpg

groundtest2_sequence3.jpg

The chute got singed a little bit, I'm going to have to pack it more carefully next time. The tip of the nose cone dug into the soft dirt a little. I'd say it was moving pretty good.

465_ground_test.jpg

466_chute.jpg

467_chute.jpg

468_mud.jpg

469_mud.jpg

Why not?

Isn't the point of using canisters like that so you can put them in the other end of the BT from the Alt-bay? They don't actually "flop" around BTW. If you want them attached to the alt-bay bulkhead, why not use a powder well/holder that's permenately attached to the bulkhead instead of having to buy new canisters every flight?

Couple of reasons I chose to use centrifuge tubes. One, there's not much room left on the av-bay bulkheads. And two, I can make them up ahead of time.

Looking good! Waiting to spot for you at Snow Ranch!

Ari.

Thanks Ari. The more eyes on it the better! I'm planning on sending it up to around 3000 ft at Snow Ranch. On either a CTI I180 Skid or I212 Smoky.

Boy, Open Rocket sure was wrong about the weight. I weighed Milestone last night, and it weighs 63 oz without the motor, a full 13 oz more than what OR said! But I should still be able to hit a mile with a CTI J400SS or an AT J350W. For the 3000 ft first flight, though, I'll need something bigger than the CTI I212.

Back