Mile High build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark at Stickershock didn't have any hot pink vinyl. But he did have some metallic purple and silver prism. Behold, the Milestone decal!

349_decal.jpg

350_decal.jpg

351_decal.jpg

352_decal.jpg

353_decal.jpg

Now what do I do with all this hot pink prism tape I have left over? :confused:
Build a LOC Graduator in the 1989 paint scheme, or a Lil' Nuke in the 1997 paint scheme (or better yet, a Caliber or a Bruiser!). Prism tape always reminds me of the Ron Schultz-era LOC/Precision kits. Nothing else like 'em!

1997_Novice.jpg1997_CaliberEZI.jpg1997_MagnumBruiser.jpg

This has got to be the most obnoxious rocket decal I've yet seen. But I must say, from a visibility standpoint, it's perfect! When the flash hits it, it absolutely lights up. Awesome!

354_decal.jpg

355_decal.jpg

356_decal.jpg

357_decal.jpg

Build a LOC Graduator in the 1989 paint scheme, or a Lil' Nuke in the 1997 paint scheme (or better yet, a Caliber or a Bruiser!). Prism tape always reminds me of the Ron Schultz-era LOC/Precision kits. Nothing else like 'em!

Wow, I didn't know LOC had been around so long. I'm afraid the prism tape I have is way too small for a Bruiser! LOL

Beautiful job Jim. Love the metalic look too. I'm also going to attempt a mile high flight this spring with a 2" all fiberglass rocket. Good luck with your flight!

Looks fantastic Jim, when is the launch?

I know I am itching for my next launch, my L2 Magnum with DD set up...thinking of a 54mm L motor!

I'm not sure how much the pink tape will help with visibility but the Stickershock decal certainly will.

From my experience it's a case of larger is better.

Mark at Stickershock didn't have any hot pink vinyl. But he did have some metallic purple and silver prism. Behold, the Milestone decal!

I'm grasping for words. All I'm coming up with is "WOW."

Ari.

Beautiful job Jim. Love the metalic look too. I'm also going to attempt a mile high flight this spring with a 2" all fiberglass rocket. Good luck with your flight!

Thanks Bill! How long is your mile high rocket?

Looks fantastic Jim, when is the launch?

I know I am itching for my next launch, my L2 Magnum with DD set up...thinking of a 54mm L motor!

Wow, a Magnum on an L! Should be an epic flight! My flight probably won't be until February. I was shooting for next month, but I haven't even ground tested yet.

I'm not sure how much the pink tape will help with visibility but the Stickershock decal certainly will.

From my experience it's a case of larger is better.

Roger that. That's why I decided to put on the second decal.

I'm grasping for words. All I'm coming up with is "WOW."

Ari.

"WOW" as in "That's an ugly rocket"? :tongue:

Mark sent me two decals, so I decided to put the second one on the upper body tube. For flights, I'll orient it opposite the lower decal. That way as it rotates, there will be twice the chance the sun will catch it. I hope it works!

360_decal2.jpg

361_decal2.jpg

362_decal2.jpg

363_decal2.jpg

364_decal2.jpg

Mark sent me two decals, so I decided to put the second one on the upper body tube. For flights, I'll orient it opposite the lower decal. That way as it rotates, there will be twice the chance the sun will catch it. I hope it works!

So would that qualify as "going the extra mile?"

Beautiful build, as usual. Looking forward to your successful flight reports!

Great looking build Jim,that sticker(s) should reflect enough sun.At 5200', not much else you'll see at that height.How many eyes will be on it?GPS?

I am always trying to get the 'shot' so I stand close by (within safety limits of course).

I wonder, when tracking a high flight, is it better to get someone further away? Say 1/4 mile downrange? Or not really?

Talc powder in a little saran wrap bundle can be your friend at apogee.

When tracking a high flight, farther away is often not better. When the tracking smoke doesn't overlap itself, as from the side, it makes the rocket essentially disappear after burnout.

That said, polarized sunglasses are a must.

I am always trying to get the 'shot' so I stand close by (within safety limits of course).

I wonder, when tracking a high flight, is it better to get someone further away? Say 1/4 mile downrange? Or not really?

Talc powder in a little saran wrap bundle can be your friend at apogee.

When tracking a high flight, farther away is often not better. When the tracking smoke doesn't overlap itself, as from the side, it makes the rocket essentially disappear after burnout.

That said, polarized sunglasses are a must.

I do know when I'm videoing flights, standing farther back is easier than standing closer. The closer you are, the faster the angle of your view from the ground to the rocket increases. I'm probably not explaining this correctly, but I know what I'm saying. LOL

And I will be using tracking powder.

Great looking build Jim,that sticker(s) should reflect enough sun.At 5200', not much else you'll see at that height.How many eyes will be on it?GPS?

Well, my eyes will be on it, but I'll be videoing. Either my son or my nephew will be taking still shots. o1d_dude has graciously offered to watch it with binoculars. Other than that, I'm sure I can recruit a few volunteers to watch it, too. And no GPS, too expensive. This will be old school tracking!

I do know when I'm videoing flights, standing farther back is easier than standing closer. The closer you are, the faster the angle of your view from the ground to the rocket increases. I'm probably not explaining this correctly, but I know what I'm saying. LOL

And I will be using tracking powder.

If you are not flying Vmax or Warp Nine, your eye can track a rocket no matter how close you are to the pad. However, when the rocket is a mile up, a person who is standing a quarter mile away will be looking through a thinner stream of tracking smoke and if they cannot see the body of the rocket body the tracking smoke won't help as much as if you are beneath it, aligned with the flight.

This will be old school tracking!
You'll be fine. Back in the days before radio trackers were ubiquitous, lots and lots of people (me and my dad included) flew regularly to 10k'+ and got them back with no problems. (Martha Sienkiewicz flew a 54mm paper and wood Laser/LOC 2.1EA at LDRS 11 on a K250 to 21,000' and got it back, for example.) The prism tape and shiny decals will help even more. Even going 5k', I bet you'll be surprised at how close it lands :)

You'll be fine. Back in the days before radio trackers were ubiquitous, lots and lots of people (me and my dad included) flew regularly to 10k'+ and got them back with no problems.

Yeah but your Dad had an Eagle Eyed teenager. :wink:

For all you who said the smoke trail would be less visibile farther away: I don't lose sight of smoke trails. It's rockets I lose sight of. :wink:
Once the smoke trail stops, and that happens on higher flights, or is mixed in with the haze, it's useless. I was not talking about seeing the smoke trail, I was talking about seeing the ROCKET :surprised:. I thought, perhaps, further away it might present a different angle with the rocket presenting a full side view. Also its angular motion seems muted some making it easier for a spotter to follow the rocket with binos (watch out for that Sun!!! :no:).

Oh well.. just an idea. :)

Well, my eyes will be on it, but I'll be videoing. Either my son or my nephew will be taking still shots. o1d_dude has graciously offered to watch it with binoculars. Other than that, I'm sure I can recruit a few volunteers to watch it, too. And no GPS, too expensive. This will be old school tracking!

If you're launching at Snow Ranch, I'll help track it. (Assuming I'm not off over the hill trying to track down my Kraken or something.)

I just got these connectors from Hobby King. Shipping was slow, took about three weeks (they came from China). But the price made the wait worthwhile. They look really nice, and have silicone insulation on the wires. They'll be perfect for av-bay wiring.

Attachments

• connectors.jpg
    connectors.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 15
I just got these connectors from Hobby King. Shipping was slow, took about three weeks (they came from China). But the price made the wait worthwhile. They look really nice, and have silicone insulation on the wires. They'll be perfect for av-bay wiring.

I put some of these in my 5.5" Nike Smoke. Makes hooking up the 4 circuits going to the drogue bulkhead (2x apogee circuits, 2x air start circuits) a cinch. Great product!

I'm waiting for the same pair of products, and the price cannot be beat!

G.D.

Back