Mile High build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I had started a discussion thread a couple of weeks ago, about doing a mile high flight attempt. I've pretty much got the design done, have received the components, and have started the build.

The rocket will be scratch built, from 2.6" Blue Tube, with G10 fiberglass fins. It will be 72" tall, and right now Open Rocket says it will weigh a little over 3 lbs without motor, but I'm sure that will go up a bit as construction continues. It will be dual deploy, of course, using an Adept 22 altimeter. There won't be any tracking, as I don't have a HAM license, but I might use a few tricks such as fluorescent orange chalk powder, and maybe an audible tracker. For the mile high attempt, I'm looking at the same motor I used for my Level 2 flight, a CTI J400 Smoky Sam. I will fly it several times before on smaller motors, slowly working my way higher. This will give me a chance to test out the dual deploy system, making sure everything is dialed in before the big flight.

I got the Blue Tube body tubes, coupler, and plastic nose cone from Always Ready Rocketry. This is my first time using Blue Tube, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the challenges of this more advanced airframe tubing.

View attachment Mile_High_2.6_bluetube.ork

screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• 02_blue_tube.jpg
    02_blue_tube.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 01_blue_tube.jpg
    01_blue_tube.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 03_blue_tube.jpg
    03_blue_tube.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 61
I ordered some forged eyebolts from McMaster-Carr, and some 0.093" G10 fiberglass from Ebay. This is also my first time working with fiberglass, so it should be interesting.

Attachments

• 04_eyebolts.jpg
    04_eyebolts.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 05_fiberglass.jpg
    05_fiberglass.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 06_fiberglass.jpg
    06_fiberglass.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 44
  • 07_fiberglass.jpg
    07_fiberglass.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 44
I cut a 1" section of Blue Tube for the vent band on the av-bay. I decided to use the G10 for the av-bay bulkheads, and cut two discs each with 2-1/2" and 2-3/4" hole saws. It cut easily. I also wore a respirator while I was cutting it, because breathing fiberglass dust can't be good.

08_vent_band.jpg

09_vent_band.jpg

10_vent_band.jpg

11_bulkheads.jpg

You do some really nice builds! I'm sure hitting the mile will go well for you.
Best of Luck!!!! I'm pulling for you.:cool:

When I make bulkheads and centering rings out of plywood, I mount them on the lathe and use a file to cut them to their final size. I don't know what G10 is made out of, but it just laughed at my files! It actually wore grooves in them. So I mounted the discs in a hand drill, and held them against my stationary 1" belt sander. That did the trick. Weird that you can sand the G10, but not file it.

13_file.jpg

14_file.jpg

15_bulkheads.jpg

17_bulkheads.jpg

18_bulkhead.jpg

You can sand because the abrasive in the sandpaper is harder than fiberglass, but the fiberglass is harder than the file and so grinds at the file's teeth.

You can sand because the abrasive in the sandpaper is harder than fiberglass, but the fiberglass is harder than the file and so grinds at the file's teeth.

Wow, I never would have guessed that!

I drilled 3/16" holes in the av-bay bulkheads for the 10-24 threaded rods that will hold everything together.

19_bulkheads.jpg

20_bulkhead.jpg

21_bulkhead.jpg

22_bulkheads.jpg

23_avbay.jpg

This is my first scratch built av-bay, and I'm very happy with how it's turning out so far.

24_avbay.jpg

25_avbay.jpg

26_avbay.jpg

27_avbay.jpg

28_avbay.jpg

I got some 3/8" flat Kevlar webbing off Ebay because it's so compact, but I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I got the neon green 36" main chute, and the 15" thin mill drogue chute from Top Flight. The thin mill chute is so thin, I might get a normal 15" chute instead. I'm afraid if the drogue deploys a little early or late, it'll shred the light chute.

29_kevlar.jpg

30_kevlar.jpg

31_kevlar.jpg

32_parachutes.jpg

Why do I always drool when you post build threads? Probably because of your amazing assortment of equipment? :drool:

Looking great so far Jim (as usual). In case you dont have a source for terminal blocks yet, you can find em on flea-bay. Maybe someone else can chime in for a better source.

Looking good Captain and nice work with the tools (probably why I love scratch building......gives me a reason to use my tools and to buy more :eek: )

I love working with BlueTube and it`s one of those materials that may be worked with power tools and or hand tools (I say that for a reason ,but more on that later)

The Kevlar you have should be plenty strong Jim.

Take care ,I`ll be watching

Paul T:handshake:

I got some 3/8" flat Kevlar webbing off Ebay because it's so compact, but I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I got the neon green 36" main chute, and the 15" thin mill drogue chute from Top Flight. The thin mill chute is so thin, I might get a normal 15" chute instead. I'm afraid if the drogue deploys a little early or late, it'll shred the light chute.

Jim,Great looking build as always.I think you'll be good with the kevlar as I have some I got from Barry at LOC and it's the same size rated at 1200lbs.

Looking great so far Jim (as usual). In case you dont have a source for terminal blocks yet, you can find em on flea-bay. Maybe someone else can chime in for a better source.

I bought my terminal blocks at Radio Shack. The so-called "Euro style".]

When I bought the terminal strip at Radio Shack quite a while ago, they had two sizes. I got the smaller one. I got the 9 volt battery holder at Fry's.

33_terminals.jpg

35_terminals.jpg

36_terminals.jpg

37_battery_holder.jpg

38_battery_holder.jpg

I decided on 1/4" birch plywood for the centering rings and bulkhead. I cut them out with a 2-3/4" hole saw, and sized the OD on the lathe. I cut the center holes in the centering rings with a 1-9/16" hole saw.

39_centering_ring.jpg

40_centering_ring.jpg

41_centering_rings.jpg

42_centering_ring.jpg

43_centering_rings.jpg

I cut some blocks to be epoxied to the centering rings for the rail buttons.

I need some suggestions for the recovery anchor. There's not enough room left on the forward centering ring for either an eyebolt or even a tiny u-bolt. What do you guys suggest?

44_centering_rings.jpg

45_blocks.jpg

46_anchor.jpg

47_blocks.jpg

Well, you could epoxy the shock cord to the motor tube, or you could order a Hard-Point anchor form Giant Leap rocketry.

hope this helps,

rg101

Breaking strength of the Kevlar, you mean? That's certainly stronger than I would have guessed. Where did you find that information?
I bought 100ft of it on ebay last summer for $6 and have used it for a few years.3 Dogs Rocketry has some photos and different strenghs.

Breaking strength of the Kevlar, you mean? That's certainly stronger than I would have guessed. Where did you find that information?
Jim,I just checked and my 1/8" is 750#,I have some from LOC that's 1200#.So yours must be that or more.I can't find the LOC kevlar at the moment but it's flat braided and I thinking around 3/8".

Well, you could epoxy the shock cord to the motor tube, or you could order a Hard-Point anchor form Giant Leap rocketry.

hope this helps,

rg101

+1 on epoxying to the motor mount. A few high performance manufactures recommend this in there instructions.

Last edited:
Got the vent band epoxied on. I put a few pieces of masking tape on the av-bay to make sure the band was centered. Turned out pretty good.

48_vent_band.jpg

49_vent_band.jpg

51_vent_band.jpg

52_vent_band.jpg

53_vent_band.jpg

hope this helps,

rg101

+1 on epoxying to the motor mount. A few high performance manufactures recommend this in there instructions.

I've been thinking about tying a loop of 1/4" tubular Kevlar through two holes in the forward centering ring. I want some sort of loop so I can replace the harness should it ever become necessary. The hardpoint anchor is a good idea, but I'd have to make the motor tube longer and that would take up some of the room in the body tube.

I bought 100ft of it on ebay last summer for $6 and have used it for a few years.3 Dogs Rocketry has some photos and different strenghs.

Jim,I just checked and my 1/8" is 750#,I have some from LOC that's 1200#.So yours must be that or more.I can't find the LOC kevlar at the moment but it's flat braided and I thinking around 3/8".

This Kevlar is probably the same as you have. What have you used it on? I checked LOC, but they don't list any Kevlar on their website.

Back