Mile High build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mile high flight will probably be at SARG, since the field is flatter. But it won't be this month, I still haven't done ground testing yet.

Cool ...

Do you know if LUNAR is launching this weekend? I hear we may get rain :(

Cool ...

I haven't gotten an email from LUNAR yet, they'll probably send one out today or tomorrow. You can always call their hotline tomorrow to check launch status. The weather reports I've seen say partly cloudy on Saturday, and showers on Sunday.

At those prices I had to order 3 packages of each just to feel better about the shipping charges. So with 30 of each, I should be set for quite awhile.
Thanks Jim.

I only ordered one package of each the first time, because I couldn't believe the prices. But after I received them, I ordered two more packages of each.

Cool ...

I haven't gotten an email from LUNAR yet, they'll probably send one out today or tomorrow. You can always call their hotline tomorrow to check launch status. The weather reports I've seen say partly cloudy on Saturday, and showers on Sunday.

I just called the hotline, and it said the launch is a go. I always call it the morning of the launch before I leave the house, just to make sure.

I changed out the Molex connectors with the JST connectors. Quite a size difference!

365_molex.jpg

366_molex.jpg

367_jst.jpg

368_jst_molex.jpg

369_jst.jpg

Qquake,

How do you secure your wires? I often drill 2 holes close together aund use zip ties.

Qquake,

How do you secure your wires? I often drill 2 holes close together aund use zip ties.

All I did was put zip ties on them. I thought about drilling holes, but I think it'll be okay.

I got some 1/2" reflective nylon webbing from Strapworks. I don't know if it's going to work, though, it's pretty stiff.

webbing_reflective1.jpg

webbing_reflective2.jpg

webbing_reflective3.jpg

I buy from Strap Works as well but, I buy the tubular nylon, 1/2" stuff.

I have a hunch that reflective means: it will be seen by headlights at night as in a dog leash.

JD

I got some 1/2" reflective nylon webbing from Strapworks. I don't know if it's going to work, though, it's pretty stiff.

I buy from Strap Works as well but, I buy the tubular nylon, 1/2" stuff.

I have a hunch that reflective means: it will be seen by headlights at night as in a dog leash.

JD

That is probably true. But reflective is reflective, it should reflect sunlight as well. That's what I'm hoping for.

I have some black reflective that I use for my Little John. Yes, it is stiff but it works well.
I'm enjoying the build so far, carry on!

Alex

I thought it would be easy to thread the Kevlar shock cord through the u-bolt in the centering ring, but it was a little dicey. I tried a 1/4" nut tied to a string, but the nut was too big. I tried a small piece of bead chain, but I couldn't get that to fall through the u-bolt. I tried a 1/4" flat washer, too big. I tried a 1/4" jam nut, still too big. Finally I tried a 10-24 nut, and that worked like a charm. I got it to fall through the u-bolt, then pulled it up with a magnetic pickup tool.

380_shock_cord.jpg

381_shock_cord.jpg

382_shock_cord.jpg

383_shock_cord.jpg

With the string, I tried pulling the so called 1/4 inch Kevlar through the u-bolt. But the knot wouldn't fit between the u-bolt and body tube. I tried pushing it through with a piece of aluminum bar, but no joy. Finally I tried the 3/8" flat Kevlar I had gotten off Ebay, and that went right through.

384_shock_cord.jpg

385_shock_cord.jpg

386_shock_cord.jpg

387_shock_cord.jpg

I pulled the end through the loop, and pulled it tight on the u-bolt. That's about 20 ft of the Kevlar. I haven't decided yet about the reflective webbing. I might put a short length in the middle, but I need to play around with it and see what fits.

388_shock_cord.jpg

389_shock_cord.jpg

390_shock_cord.jpg

I used to build airplanes in bottles. That experience came in real handy when I had to do this exercise ok the Onyx.

Ari.

It is :=) You can't pull on a string to raise your masts :=)

https://www.lib.aero/~ari/aibs/

f-16-side.jpg

kfir-00.jpg

kfir-15.jpg

Back