Biohazard build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vinyl is in the mail.

While waiting for it, I realized that I could Future the inside of my ring, since that was going to be far easier now than after assembly. So it turned into a bit of an experiment.

First I sanded with 800, much like I did the rest of the rocket. The hand-painted interior was a bit rough, again much like the rocket. After sanding for a while, it smoothed out a bit and looked mottled (say it with me now: "much like the rocket".)
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469128503.994570.jpg

The dark areas are the original gloss, the light areas are the sanded parts. The high areas "protected" the low areas from the sandpaper, so the parts that are still glossy are the low areas. If I kept sanding, I presume it would eventually all look like the lighter sanded areas, once all the high parts were completely sanded down.

What I wanted to see here was whether the Future would equalize the two areas, and I'd end up with a uniform gloss.

First I wrapped the outside with tape, because I was sure I was going to get some Future on the outside.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469128518.857351.jpg

Then I applied my first coat of Future, as always with a foam brush, and blotted off the excess. Here's the result:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469128538.983127.jpg

That, uh, doesn't look too much different. The answer? More Future! (I'll refrain from using the more cowbell GIF again):
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469128529.080707.jpg

Maybe it's a *little* better, but not much. It would seem that Future is not readily capable of glossing up an 800 grit-sanded area. Although it's 100% fine on the inside of the ring (you can't see it unless you get directly light reflecting off it, which won't happen on the ring interior once it's assembled, it does not point to good results if I were to apply a coating of Future directly to the rocket in its current state. I can see a few possibilities:

1) Apply another coat of white to the rocket to restore consistent gloss the whole thing, even if it is a little bumpy.
2) Sand the rocket with much finer grit before Futuring the whole thing. I don't know how fine I'd need to go to enable the Future to gloss up properly. I have some 1500 at the ready, have never gone beyond that.
3) Sand the entire rocket down further right now, to achieve a uniform finish, and *then*, at the end, sand with a finer grit.

I'm not really sure where to go next. Still unclear if this represents a different behavior than I've seen before or not; don't recall encountering this but it's possible the conditions are not quite the same this time.

If anyone has input, I'm all ears. Basically I need to decide on my strategy before I apply the next color coat (which is black). [aside: I really should try to figure out a way to do the red before the black, but dealing with the ring will be such a pain if I try to do it that way. Hmm...]

Last edited:
Today, in an enormous act of willpower and self-control, I decided to lay another coat of white. I sanded it further until the surface was almost completely matte-smooth, then masked it up:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469392118.844705.jpg

The fin masking was very rough, just to protect a few spots; my focus is on the body tube right now.

I laid a single heavy coat of white, and as far as I can tell it looks *much* better. So good.

Why did it take so much willpower to do this? Because I'm now in possession of this:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469392262.484477.jpg

The new coat of white pushes back my first use of the vinyl by at least a week. Oh first-world problems, how you vex me!

Last edited:
...and here is what it looks like now.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469403198.072286.jpg
That is by far the best Rusto 2x top coat I've gotten in my short career. Moral of the story: sanding before the final coat makes a huge difference.

Now I can proceed to the next color with confidence.

Last edited:
Been playing with my trial copy of Rocksim. Got this design loaded up, and updated it with "real" ringtail and pods, no phantom tubes... happy to see that stability comes out just about right when all components are properly accounted for:
bio_rocksim.png

Deleting the ringtail *doubles* simulated altitude. I just can't believe that one piece has such a strong effect. I'm definitely gonna have to fly this thing with an altimeter and see whether this incredibly pessimistic ringtail simulation is realistic (payload section is ready for an altimeter, or at least it will be when everything is finished).

Last edited:
Masked and ready for black paint. This was a somewhat tough masking job to do *well*, because of the long straight mask lines that needed to be pretty precise. Then again, I've learned never to complain about masking ever again.

Here is the entire thing, ready to go:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1470618892.515211.jpg

Working around the launch lugs was quite challenging, because the straight edge of the tape needed to be very close to the lug. Here is a close up of the vinyl paint mask that Mark Hayes made for me, to get the curve at the front of the black part consistent and "perfect".
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1470618882.884893.jpg

Blending the small piece of paint mask with the other tape was not easy, and in hindsight I probably should have put the mask on first. It may need a bit of hand touching up at the end, but it should still be good.

All in all, it's not a perfect job but I think it'll look fine. Here's a sight down one of the stripes which shows (?) that I got the tape lines pretty straight.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1470618871.997796.jpg

Hey, I just realized I never really looked too closely at exactly how far from the end of the BT I put the curved paint masks. I just eyeballed it, and looking at it now I probably put it a bit too far away. Hopefully it'll look OK as is, because I'm certainly not going to undo anything at this point. In other words, "I meant to do that."

Last edited:
Well I think it came out ok, but final judgment will await the removal of the masking. Right now it's a black tapey blob.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1470684307.270984.jpg

The nose does look like a success.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1470684354.406658.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I didn't really see that leaf. I was just giving some rocketeer ribbing. It's a purdy nose cone job Neil.

Ah, sorry. I actually won't be at all surprised if I find I *did* miss a spot, when all is said and done. But I have my trusty $500/gallon Testor's black to fix any and all such problems! :)

"The Black Reveal", sounds like a good mystery novel.

Last night was certainly interesting. Here's a rundown.

THE GOOD
With all the masking tape removed, this rocket is starting to look like something.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471003724.013517.jpg

You know what worked out pretty well? My papered transition.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471003741.813558.jpg

Although, I didn't do a good job of smoothing the joint between transition and the BT above it; shoulda done some more CWF work there. No biggie.

And I had to take another beauty shot of the nose cone, because I'm quite proud of it. Based on how it looked before I painted, I really didn't think it was going to come out this good. I'm sold on the technique (CA followed by CWF).
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471003760.213289.jpg

THE BAD
As expected, I had some paint bleed under some of the tape joints:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471003776.149233.jpg
I had some worse bleed areas where the paint seems to have snuck through the wads of blue tape everywhere. Those surprised me, but also can be fixed with touch-up. Generally, I try to take off as much of the black paint as possible with a knife blade, and then just paint over it.

I also had a couple of discontinuities in my stripe edges, where two consecutive pieces of tape were not aligned carefully enough. Sorry, no pictures of those.

THE UGLY
Out came my freshly-purchased bottle of Testor's white, and I started to paint over the black. It didn't look as good as my previous Testor's adventures, but I figured it was just me and I kept going. After a while I concluded that no, there really was something wrong here. This paint was not glossy. After micro-inspecting the tiny text on the bottle labels, I finally had my answer:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471003789.780643.jpg
This was in the gloss paint shelf at Michaels, but I guess it was misplaced.

*sigh*

I'll have to sand the touched-up areas a bit, and put a new layer or two of gloss on. This will add a couple of feet to the paint job. I'll swap the paint at Michaels today.

I wonder if Testor's could make the paint color text any smaller on the label there.

And the final ugly, of course, is that I couldn't post this last night because of the TRF outage.

Last edited:
I dunno, would Future gloss purge flat paint? It didn't seem to when I tested it on the interior of the ring. Certainly it might *reduce* the differences in finish, but will it really even it out?

A couple.of coats of Future should do the trick. You can also get an acrylic clear that would do a pretty good job in one coat. Many scale modelers use flat whites, yellows and reds when they can because they cover much better than the gloss colors. It adds an extra step but uses much less paint in that case.

Hmm, maybe so. But I think I'll be more comfortable if I get at least one light coat of gloss white on there before applying the clear coat. I already swapped the paint at Michael's (I seem to have drawn the short straw; the one I got was the *only* bottle of flat white in the store).

One other unrelated note: when removing the masking tape from the pods, I really (unavoidably) put a lot of stress on them, and the joint to the fin showed no sign of trouble at all. They seem to be quite strong; hopefully they'll be up to the impact of landing.

Hmm, maybe so. But I think I'll be more comfortable if I get at least one light coat of gloss white on there before applying the clear coat. I already swapped the paint at Michael's (I seem to have drawn the short straw; the one I got was the *only* bottle of flat white in the store).
I don't blame you after the amount of work that you have put in so far, it may not be the best time for trying something new. I use the acrylic clear on my Pinewood Derby cars and the results can be amazing if you have the time to devote to it. After four coats, sanding with 800 grit in between, you get a beautiful "wet" finish. I have an Estes Bull Pup that needs decals and clear coating. I just went with white primer since it is not quite as bright so I'll have to post a before and after when I get around to finishing it.

One other unrelated note: when removing the masking tape from the pods, I really (unavoidably) put a lot of stress on them, and the joint to the fin showed no sign of trouble at all. They seem to be quite strong; hopefully they'll be up to the impact of landing.
It seems as though the finishing process somehow produces the first stress test for most of my builds.

At last a wee bit more progress.

First, I wet-sanded the touch up areas underneath the ring (because they'll be impossible to sand after the ring is in) with 1500 grit. I was definitely able to smooth it out, although it remains the case that the Testor's white is not exactly the same shade as the Rusto 2x Gloss White. Oh well, good to know for the future.

I will not how it's all really going to look until the Future is applied, which is still somewhat in the, ah, future.

So, with that sanding done, it was time to glue in the ring. I have been fretting for quite some time about how to ensure that the ring is glued in perfectly straight and symmetrical. This is difficult because I made the fit just a bit tight, and have been sanding out the fins bit by bit until it all fits. But the ring deforms very easily into its slow, so I never know if it's in correctly.

Tonight I finally realized that the answer was simple. Slide the ring onto a piece of coupler (nice and stiff) and then slide the whole thing in, like this:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472948734.285667.jpg

Initially I discovered that I still needed to do just a bit more sanding. Then I applied glue to the insides of the fins, slid in the coupler+ring, and then attempted to get it positioned as perfectly as possible, which was still difficult but definitely a million times easier than without the coupler.

After the glue set, I went to pull out the coupler and saw that it was still not quite perfectly parallel to the BT; either I didn't get it quite right the first time or it slipped a bit while drying. I was supposed to let it dry standing up, but I forgot and put it horizontal, so it's possible the weight of the coupler pulled it slightly out of position. It's *very slight*, no one will notice unless it causes the rocket to fly sideways.:p

So then I just slipped the coupler out, and voila!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472948744.996130.jpg

Here is the result, now ready for the final red coat and the logo vinyl.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472948755.525515.jpg

Last edited:
Woohoo! Almost there.

Now that you're almost at the finish line with the build, what are your plans for launching?

Good *$#!ing question. I'm really hoping to get to a club launch this month, but no guarantees. When this one's done I'll have 6 new rockets to launch...

I had hoped to have the red paint on this weekend, but sadly that did not happen. I did make some more progress though.

First, I couldn't wait any longer to break out the logo vinyl. I think I even got it on straight and in the right position (after almost ruining it removing the backing paper):
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473126028.701666.jpg

It really transforms the rocket. I love me some Stickershock23 vinyl.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473126016.666945.jpg

Next I did my 1500-grit wet-sanding of the payload section of the rocket (I skipped the canards, though, they were pretty much perfect as-is.). Here's what the very top looked like when I was finished:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473126036.518234.jpg

I am curious to see how that looks post-Future. Also, again, sanding doesn't change the fact that the Testor's white does not match the Rusto. Oh well, at least the whole shebang should be smooth. Then I applied a coat of Future to the payload section and the nose cone (which I didn't bother to sand, because it was close to perfect already). They are now hanging upside down over a garbage can to dry (well, actually *inside* a garbage can; I'll get a picture of that before I remove them).

I finished the night be starting to mask the bottom half of the rocket for the red paint. I *really* should have masked the inside of the ring before I glued it in, dunno how I forgot that. It was difficult and frustrating, but I think I got it. Everything above that (including the logo) was covered by a plastic bag, so that was easy; below that requires lots of tape. I didn't finish it all, but I'm probably about 3/4 of the way there.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473126043.810984.jpg

Still need to tape the insides of the pods, do the close masking around the base of the middle fins, and apply the paint mask for the swoop on the pods (that gets done at the last minute). Then I'm ready for red, which will hopefully happen next weekend. The end is in sight.

Last edited:
Garbage can. On top is a piece of cardboard from a Tire Rack shipment (I love those round pieces) that serves as a lid:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473162219.998238.jpg

Lift the lid and...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473162227.658956.jpg

That is a bent clothes hanger being used to suspend the Future parts. Payload section on right, nose cone on left (barely visible against the black garbage bag). This ensures that all drips go into the garbage, and contains the smell while it dries. Obviously this doesn't work if (a) the rocket part is too large, or (b) there's too much stuff in the garbage. Thus far neither has been a problem.

Anyway, it's all dry now, and looks good (enough). The "finished" payload section and nose cone:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473162233.456123.jpg

I still need to do a bit of sharpie touch-up to the top of the BT.

If I look closer, though, although it is nice and shiny, black areas I had sanded still look a bit cloudy under the gloss:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473162242.056948.jpg

Next to the pure black of the nose cone, you can see the difference. I can live with this (you have to look to notice it) but I really don't understand why this happens.

Final note: considering how good it looks when held in front of you, the finish looks surprisingly bad in that close up photo.:p

Last edited:
Indeed! Too bad he didn't get this thread in the contest. But then again, he's so anal about his build, he'd have never finished it in time. :tongue:

Actually, I had already started it before the official start day, so I self-disqualified right at the start. I also suspected I wouldn't get to finish and fly it before the final deadline, but since I wasn't "in" I didn't make extraordinary efforts to do so.

Despite my anal finishing tendencies (which you'd think would at least result in really good finishes, but alas...) I could have *easily* finished this one in time were it not for my severely limited shop time and painting opportunities. It is an incredibly frustrating situation for me right now; working a few minutes here and there is quite unsatisfying.

Certainly the contest seems to have done just fine without me. :)

Actually, I had already started it before the official start--- snip--- I could have *easily* finished this one in time were it not for my severely limited shop time and painting opportunities.

I knew this Neil. That's why I said it was too bad you didn't get it in. Now about finishing......I do have the time for it, but Mother Nature stops me dead in my tracks. I have to spray outside because unlike some of these lucky 'bastages' that have painting booths inside, I'm dodging humidity. Then a weather break comes into play, and I'm inundated with a work load from hell or just plain lost my mojo. GEEZ! As I speak----lo & behold, it's 86* and 41 humidity right now! Dayum! I can get some painting done today if I just get off my arse! WOO HOO!

Back