Wile E. Coyote's ACME Rocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
After a conversation the other night in TRF Chat, I wanted to see if i could create a flying model of Wile's ACME rocket, complete with him hanging on, and at apogee, he'd come back on a streamer while the rocket returned via chute.

I had to make 1 adjustment to length, given it needed to be stable, but overall it looks pretty good in Rocksim.

Click on the Wile rocket to be taken to his own page where you can see images, a logo and d/l the .rkt file if you'd like:

https://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id5.htm

As a side note:

When I designed this, I was unsure how to have an inner tube sticking out the rear of the main airframe, AND attach fins to it, so I wound up adding a secondary tube to attach the fins at the rear, BUT when she is built, it will be a single airframe running from the rear up to the nosecone.

MMT=24MM - Simmed to 500 feet.

Cheers,

OK, now yer NOT going to have a big fuse sticking out the back of this thing?

Really cool!

Too Cool!
But if you're that artistic, why not try to model a Wile E out of something you artistic types know about that I don't?
Just a thought.

Keep us up to date.

Greg

Deploying the chute at apogee? You'd get more mision points if you'd design it to auger in with Wile E clinging for dear life and *then* deploying the chute---POOF! :D

That's great! It's always good to see the Super Genius get some airtime, never expected to see some 'real' versions :)

The Wile Rocket is now complete.

He turned out far better than I hoped, and I can't stop giggling when I look at it.

Build notes and photos are available at my site:

Click on the Wile rocket to be taken to his own page where you can see images, a logo and d/l the UPDATED .rkt file if you'd like:

https://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id5.htm

Cheers,

Very cool! I love to see that kind of innovation put into practice.

Thanks,

Paul

And it may just be me, but I cannot get that RS file to work.
Could you just attach it here?

Greg

That is just so cool. I'd love to see that thing fly...and the looks of everyone when they see it. Good luck on it's maiden flight!

Guys,

Many thanks for the kind words. This is a really fun little project to do, and doesn't take much time.

11Bravo,

The .rkt file is for Rocksim 7 - just in case.

Hope this helps,

Now it works.
I just kept getting errors with it when I got it from the site.
I tried it in both v7 and v8.
Now if I can just get you guys to move the launch lugs out of line with the fins. :D
Thanks,

Greg

Soo Cool!! Did the Road Runner get away?.....Rhetorical question .....I know....:D

as a huge Loony Toons fan I love this thing!!

May have to build one to go with our Duck Dodgers Rocket!

Really....!!!

Although I'm not sure about what's coolest...
The fact that it was built and flown... or the rocsim file you
created to build it ...!!!

Carry On...

Heee. Heee. Heee. Snort. Heee. Heee. Heee. Chuckle. Heee. Heee. Heee. Snickle. Heee. Heee. Heee. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by 11Bravo
And it may just be me, but I cannot get that RS file to work.
Not just you, it seems Tripod is inserting some javascript advertising into the XML.... :(

I discovered this over the weekend as I started on my very own copy of Wile E! My wife and
kids all thought this was a cool project. Thanks silverleaf!

I made a few mods-
  • I used 1/4" foamboard instead of cardstock/balsa for fins and CRs
  • my MMT hangs out (a la Tulanko Tail) for masking tape retention
  • no forward thrust ring either (has anyone flown this on an E9?)
  • I don't have RockSim v7, so I had to guess on the fin pattern (even after parsing the raw XML)
  • I printed the Acme decal on Avery clear stock, so I don't have to x-acto each letter
I may add Wily's aiming reticle and use it for the upper launch rod guidance.

No paint on mine yet, and I still need to attach Wile E, but here's a nekkid shot. With luck, this
will be finished in time for the monthly section launch in a couple weeks.

Brian,

Excellent !! Its very cool to see something I posted be created by a fellow TRFer. I'm glad the drawings printed out well for you..8)

has anyone flown this on an E9?

On my model, a D12 was plenty, given the post flight showed some bubbling of the paint on the smaller BT-55 tube right where the MMT ends. I'm sure it would scream on an E, but please let me know IF you decide to do so, as I'd be interested to hear your own findings.

The tripod thing has me a bit upset, since I didn't realize it was doing this. After today I will not have access to my cpu, since I'm moving and will have it in storage for awhile, but from what I can see, your fins look very good and almost identical to what I originally designed.

As an afterthought, IF you'd like to make Wile a bit stronger for the flight up on the outside of the ACME rocket, laminating him wouldn't be a bad idea.

Best of luck on painting, and the flight, and I look forward to hearing how Wile flew for you.

Cheers my friend,

Originally posted by Silverleaf
a D12 was plenty, given the post flight showed some bubbling of the paint on the smaller BT-55 tube right where the MMT ends.
My Wile E. got to ride a D12-3 today, and I didn't see any heat problems on the MMT.

The flight was great and all the folks on the field thought the 'HELP!' cartoon idea was
a great one RS!

We had a bit of wind pick up, so I went with a 12" chute instead of the planned 15".
I didn't see any problems but after a closer inspection, I discovered a crack in a fin. :(

Doesn't look like a big deal. I think some white glue will take care of it.

Thanks again for posting the plans for this one!

Back