(Very Slow) Demon 5 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With no Red Glare for 2024, I have to hope I can make it to the Higgs launch in Feb/March or get permission to take my sons to LDRS to fly this thing.
Or come on out and fly with us at Battlepark :)) so long as the weather cooperates we’re flying twice in February, twice in March, and have a three day launch in April

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions

Or come on out and fly with us at Battlepark :)) so long as the weather cooperates we’re flying twice in February, twice in March, and have a three day launch in April

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions

It's on my list to come down there at some point. It's farther than MDRA or NOVAAR, but not as far as LDRS!

Last night, attached the switch band to the av-bay coupler and filled the tailcone/airframe gap with epoxy. (Uninteresting) Pictures are in the what did you do today thread. I got my wiring supplies out, so I should be able to work on that sooner rather than later. I hope I can get to fin fillets in the next couple weeks, too.

Wired the av-bay! After diagnosing a dead battery everything beeps and lights up as expected. RRC3 is primary with main at 600ft; RRC2+ is backup with main at 500ft and +1sec for the apogee charge. 2x Lab Rat Rocketry pull pin switches control power.

PXL_20240105_050353416.jpg

I drilled one vent/switch hole. I'm considering just enlarging it vs using 3 holes. I used 3g Doghouse Rocketry charge wells, with through-bulkhead electrical connectors.

PXL_20240105_050206328.MP.jpg

I have to do some strain relief, finish the vent holes, and drill/tap the shear pins. I'm thinking 2x 2-56 for the airframe and 2x 4-40 for the nose cone.

Airframe needs to get fin fillets pulled, recovery anchor installed, and recovery checked out. Nose cone needs the tip permanently installed. Then I get to ground test!

Wired the av-bay! After diagnosing a dead battery everything beeps and lights up as expected. RRC3 is primary with main at 600ft; RRC2+ is backup with main at 500ft and +1sec for the apogee charge. 2x Lab Rat Rocketry pull pin switches control power.

View attachment 622898

I drilled one vent/switch hole. I'm considering just enlarging it vs using 3 holes. I used 3g Doghouse Rocketry charge wells, with through-bulkhead electrical connectors.

View attachment 622899

I have to do some strain relief, finish the vent holes, and drill/tap the shear pins. I'm thinking 2x 2-56 for the airframe and 2x 4-40 for the nose cone.

Airframe needs to get fin fillets pulled, recovery anchor installed, and recovery checked out. Nose cone needs the tip permanently installed. Then I get to ground test!
I would go 800-900 on the main. I've had HED DD chutes get "hung-up" a bit in the cone and wiggled loose just in time. 600 is a bit low IMO.

Enjoying the build! :)

JF
Where do you place the charge on HED deployment?
Directly on the bulkhead. Been doing it that way for years with great success. I also know others that run the charges to the nose cone tip and they are also successful. Many ways to skin a cat. But I hate cats, for they are bipolar assholes, buy I digress.... LOL

Directly on the bulkhead. Been doing it that way for years with great success. I also know others that run the charges to the nose cone tip and they are also successful. Many ways to skin a cat. But I hate cats, for they are bipolar assholes, buy I digress.... LOL
Since you're here and answering questions ;), would you mind sharing how you lay out the main harness? I've seen several options, but most of them have the main chute connected to the harness very close to the nose cone. This makes me worried about the chute not coming out, but somehow staying stuck/partially stuck in the nose cone. Obviously I'm going to ground test, but I would love to start with expert opinion.

Since you're here and answering questions ;), would you mind sharing how you lay out the main harness? I've seen several options, but most of them have the main chute connected to the harness very close to the nose cone. This makes me worried about the chute not coming out, but somehow staying stuck/partially stuck in the nose cone. Obviously I'm going to ground test, but I would love to start with expert opinion.
Certainly. I'll take some pics and circle back in relative short order.

Thank you!
Pics below are mocked up from a non HED bird mocked up for the pics, but you can get the idea. First way is pretty basic, chute above the nomex and the recovery cord between the chute and the nomex is folded into the burrito. Based on how its packed, the whole burrito gets pulled out by the cord. I make the burrito longer than wide, and not a tight fit in the cone.
image000000(7).jpg

Did my fin fillets with ~80g of West System G-Flex 655 pre-thickened, flexible epoxy. Doesn't sag, so I can do all of the fillets at the same time.

PXL_20240107_211026525.jpg

Pulled the tape about an hour later. There are more bubbles than I remember from the last time I used this, so next time I'll have to heat gun the mix before application.

I also found some electrical tape to protect the wire splicing I did in the av-bay.

Last edited:
Thanks for that post @jmasterj

I bought a set of G-Flex 650 from the local West Marine store last month and planned on thickening it myself with 406 Colloidal Silica.

I'll be sure to watch the temperature out in the garage when I do the fillets on my next rocket.

-- kjh

Finally did a bit of work: evened out the mating interface between the nose cone and the switch band. I tried sanding the switch band first with a Dremel but couldn't get it to work evenly, so I just made it worse. Fixed an initial 1/8" gap on one side by sanding down the opposite edge of the nose cone, a little at a time until it was acceptably even all around. Then I sanded down some of the outside of the nose cone and some of the outside of the switch band until there wasn't a tangible lip either way at any point on the circumference.

The picture isn't really interesting but it's something!

To do the airframe/switch band interface at work would be a pain in the butt, but I may end up doing anyway to use the downdraft table and better sander there.
PXL_20240207_215723907.MP.jpg

Two 4-40 shear pin holes drilled and tapped. Av-bay and airframe are loaded up in the car for sanding tomorrow (today?).

View attachment 629236
Not sure why you tap the shear pin holes. Why is that? What part do you tap? The nose cone under the screw head, or the inside? If you do the inside, how do you get the sheared part out? How much larger do you do the other hole than the tapped hole?
I've always just drilled a hole straight through that the nylon screw fits in. Only issue I've had is as I get 10 or more flights on the rocket, sometimes I need to put a small piece of tape over the screw to make sure it doesn't fall out while handling the rocket and putting it on the pad.

Not sure why you tap the shear pin holes. Why is that? What part do you tap? The nose cone under the screw head, or the inside? If you do the inside, how do you get the sheared part out? How much larger do you do the other hole than the tapped hole?
I've always just drilled a hole straight through that the nylon screw fits in. Only issue I've had is as I get 10 or more flights on the rocket, sometimes I need to put a small piece of tape over the screw to make sure it doesn't fall out while handling the rocket and putting it on the pad.
I tap the outside section, nose cone and airframe. Inside is drilled bigger to allow the screw to slide in (or out). I do it so it stays put, but it sounds like that's just another overkill thing I've done.

I tap the outside section, nose cone and airframe. Inside is drilled bigger to allow the screw to slide in (or out). I do it so it stays put, but it sounds like that's just another overkill thing I've done.
I'm not sure I'd call it overkill. I just tear off a small piece of blue painters tape to hold the nylon screws in. Guess it's a trade off on the time it takes to screw it in and unscrew it after vs. the tape to hold it in, or what it looks like with just the screws vs. the tape all over. Kind of a person preference to my way of thinking. I just didn't know if there was some big advantage to tapping the holes that I wasn't aware of.

I'm not sure I'd call it overkill. I just tear off a small piece of blue painters tape to hold the nylon screws in. Guess it's a trade off on the time it takes to screw it in and unscrew it after vs. the tape to hold it in, or what it looks like with just the screws vs. the tape all over. Kind of a person preference to my way of thinking. I just didn't know if there was some big advantage to tapping the holes that I wasn't aware of.
The first "shear pins" I read about (in Make: High Power Rockets) were just styrene rod, but with nylon screws it just seemed intuitive to me to screw them into a tapped hole. I'm probably not going to switch away from it, but your experience will make me think about it next time.

The first "shear pins" I read about (in Make: High Power Rockets) were just styrene rod, but with nylon screws it just seemed intuitive to me to screw them into a tapped hole. I'm probably not going to switch away from it, but your experience will make me think about it next time.
I think the only issue is removal - is it harder to get the pieces out after flight if they holes are tapped and the nylon screws threaded in? If not, no worries.

I think the only issue is removal - is it harder to get the pieces out after flight if they holes are tapped and the nylon screws threaded in? If not, no worries.
Not really. The sheared parts fall out or get poked out and the heads screw out really easily with the same screwdriver I use to turn the altimeters on/off.

Lots of progress today! At work on our downdraft table, I sanded the mating surface between the airframe and the switch band to relatively even.

Carrying the rocket into our maker space, I met a coworker who is also an MDRA flyer! He's going for his L3 in three weeks, when I'm hoping to fly this Demon.

At home tonight, I drilled and tapped the 2-56 airframe shear pin holes. Then I epoxied the recovery anchor into the airframe, leaving enough room for the CTI 75 6GXL that I will probably never fly as well a comfortable amount of space for the drogue chute and harness.

PXL_20240210_053725613.jpg

I attached the nose cone tip with blue loctite (I'll probably remove it when I get around to painting this bird). Then I laid out, joined, and practiced lacking the recovery package. It looks like the Rocketman chute I planned to use for the main will fit in the nose cone fine.

PXL_20240210_053714443.jpg

I was thinking I could ground test tomorrow afternoon, but that's really not a full cure time for the recovery anchor epoxy. Maybe Sunday but probably next Sunday. We'll see if my boys are interested in pressing the button again for the ground tests. They got bored last time after the first few tests.

I stacked up the whole rocket for the first time this morning!

PXL_20240214_163418981.jpg

I also weighed it (20.5lbs) and measured the dry CG. I put that data in my sim and started thinking about what motor I want to fly it on at Higgs Farm on 2.5 weeks. It will depend on the wind, but I'd really like to fly some higher flights since I won't have many (any?) more chances till Fall/Winter. So the higher options are a 75mm K780R or K1800ST, and the lower ones are a 54mm K550W or a 38mm Loki J1026CT.

I'm planning on doing ground testing on Sunday.

Back