GaryDean L3 Build Thread - Prometheus 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats - one new person to serve as a Mentor for Spaceport!

Congratulations @GaryDean!
Enjoyed this thread.
What’s the next planned flight? The L1520T?
Hello Keith,
THANKS! I flew at Tripoli Tampa to take advantage of Jim Harris (Tripoli TAP) for the L3 Project. My next planned flight will be a AT L2200G in the same rocket, at Spacecoast Rocketry Association (SRA) in Palm Bay, so that my friends there can get a chance to see this rocket in the air. After that I will focus on an unopened package in the corner of my man-cave, which is a 54mm Mach 2 Carbon from Wildman. Just received the appropriate case (54 / 2800), hardware, and motor (AT L1000W) from Brian (the Motorman). That specific motor is planned for Airfest next year, but am arranging a few smaller motors to introduce that rocket to some lower altitudes, prior to Kansas.
Along the way, I will have to investigate how to build my own Launch Tower for this rocket. The awesome information available on this site will certainly reduce the challenge in that effort!

Last edited:
Yay, success today with the L3 Launch at Tripoli Tampa. Great weather although a bit gusty at times, as you could spot with the immediate weathercocking into the wind off the launch rail! Unfortunately, about the only real cloud we saw all day just happened to be along the flight path at the end of my countdown. 45.1 lbs. on the pad, with an AT M2050X reached 6,686 feet versus the RocSim 7,150 feet. Max velocity @ 828 fps, drogue descent averaged 74 fps, while the very short (deployed at 800 feet) main descent averaged 35 fps. All electronics performed nominal, all ejection charges fired, and rocket was fully functional after recovery in the open field. The best video was my TAP signing the paperwork for the successful L3 Flight / Certification!!!!
Wow, congratulations! I just read through the thread, very cool! Thanks for sharing that, its an inspiration for sure.

Back