Build Log - Rich's Simple Rocket 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anbhtblr

Rich@bna
Reaction score
This is the first build effort I'm documenting here. Hopefully you will keep me on the straight an narrow.

Goal: A rocket capable of 10k' on a 54mm motor. I can tell you this goal won't be met. Early sims in RockSim limit indicate 9k'+.
Build techniques: All/mostly FG (G10/G12). Mechanical, not adhesive joining, as much as possible.
Materials: Easily purchased from vendors such as Mad Cow.
Electronics: 2 cameras (Run Cam Thumb is the initial thought), RRC3 primary, RRC2 secondary, RPi Zero W with pressure, temperature sensor and IMU.

The initial components are shown in the attached photo (from left front to right):
Existing electronics sled I designed for 3" - 4" bays. It consists of an RRC3, RRC2 (on the visible side) and a RPi Zero W with sensors on the opposite side.
54mm motor mount (G12, Mad Cow) to be cut down to, probably 20".
3 fins, isoceles trapazoid, cut from G10 (I could really use some help determining speed at which flutter will start).
3" coupler/electronics bay (G12, Mad Cow).
3" coupler, nose to ariframe (G12, Mad Cow).
AeroTech 54mm motor retainer.
12" nose cone (3" filament wound, Mad Cow).
3/8" tubular kevlar for chute harnesses.
3" x 60" airframe to be divided for dual deploy (probably about 24" and 36") (G12, Mad Cow).

The next step(s) are to design the bulkheads, centering rings, and thrust plate.

Attachments

• SimpleRocket2Components.jpg
    SimpleRocket2Components.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Here is the layout for the centering rings and the thrust plate.
Centering rings will be 3.175mm G10 and the thrust plate will be either 3.175mm G10 or 6061 Al, haven't yet decided.

Next up, bulkhead designs.

Attachments

• SimpleRocket2-CenteringRings_20230729.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SimpleRocket2-CenteringRings_20230729.jpg
    SimpleRocket2-CenteringRings_20230729.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
Here is the layout for the centering rings and the thrust plate.
Centering rings will be 3.175mm G10 and the thrust plate will be either 3.175mm G10 or 6061 Al, haven't yet decided.

Next up, bulkhead designs.
Nice.
Just be careful of overspecifying dimensions. mm to 3 decimal places would probably be a fully ground surface or a Swiss lathe.......
2 DP is fine for general machined construction. 1 DP is fine for general hand construction. If inches, add 1 DP If parts are a critical fit to each other, the sizes would be toleranced.

Last edited:
Nice.
Just be careful of overspecifying dimensions. mm to 3 decimal places would probably be a fully ground surface or a Swiss lathe.......
2 DP is fine for general machined construction. 1 DP is fine for general hand construction. If inches, add 1 DP If parts are a critical fit to each other, the sizes would be toleranced.
You're correct, and I know better. The only thing I can say is the I'm not used to sharing drawings, and when it's just me it doen't make a lot of difference.

Back