(Very Slow) Demon 5 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The RRC3 flight data from Friday was corrupted, but the beeps said 2880ft, which was ~10% below the sim. Given that, I expected today's flight to be ~4000ft, ~10% below the sim. But the RRC3 says 4720ft and the RRC2+ backup says 4680ft! Very interesting. The RRC3 data graph looks really shaky, unlike the data I've gotten in 6 flights on my other RRC3 in my other DD rocket. Only construction thing that's different is one vent port vs. three. @rfjustin, ye of a single vent, could that be it? Obviously it could be the RRC3 itself as well, since I don't have any comparison data on this specific altimeter. Here's the graph:

1709522973370.png

The extra voltage droops are bizarre (purple line), the velocity data under drogue is crazy (the green line), varying between +60fps and -175fps, and even the velocity data under main doesn't smooth out very much!

Here's the graph form Friday's flight of A Series of Tubes on a K456DM, which is more what I expected the previous graph to look like:

1709523240055.png

Thanks for looking!

Biggest motor and highest flight for me so far, which is cool regardless of the data weirdness. I could see the rocket the whole time in the clear skies, and watched the main deployment clearly.

The RRC3 flight data from Friday was corrupted, but the beeps said 2880ft, which was ~10% below the sim. Given that, I expected today's flight to be ~4000ft, ~10% below the sim. But the RRC3 says 4720ft and the RRC2+ backup says 4680ft! Very interesting. The RRC3 data graph looks really shaky, unlike the data I've gotten in 6 flights on my other RRC3 in my other DD rocket. Only construction thing that's different is one vent port vs. three. @rfjustin, ye of a single vent, could that be it? Obviously it could be the RRC3 itself as well, since I don't have any comparison data on this specific altimeter. Here's the graph:

View attachment 633819

The extra voltage droops are bizarre (purple line), the velocity data under drogue is crazy (the green line), varying between +60fps and -175fps, and even the velocity data under main doesn't smooth out very much!

Here's the graph form Friday's flight of A Series of Tubes on a K456DM, which is more what I expected the previous graph to look like:

View attachment 633820

Thanks for looking!

Biggest motor and highest flight for me so far, which is cool regardless of the data weirdness. I could see the rocket the whole time in the clear skies, and watched the main deployment clearly.
I agree that first graph looks funky as hell. I would send that to Jim at MW and see if he is willing or able to opine. That's really odd data, something seems to have gotten pissed off. :)

How was that K-1800 for you?

Last edited:
I agree that first graph looks funky as hell. I would send that to Jim at MW and see if willing or able to opine. That's really odd data, something seems to have gotten pissed off. :)

How was that K-1800 for you?

It was awesome! I'm glad I swallowed the price premium and ordered it anyway. Someone launched a K1000T yesterday too, confirming my opinion that I'll take Super Thunder over regular Blue Thunder 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. I have a K2050 on order from Wildman and will definitely be considering another K1800 in November.

Back