Whistle Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CQBArms

Reaction score
I was messing around and had some flat whistles and never mounted one to a rocket. Man what a mistake. It is REALLY loud and pretty annoying.My dogs where freaking out when the thing went up. Even the chickens didn't like it.
This is the type of whistle I'm talking about...pretty small and very thin.

Tornadoslimline.jpg

That takes the phrase "sounding rocket" to a whole new level, doesn't it?

So, where did you mount them? Any pics? I suppose it would be easy to put them on the tips of the fins.

I couple of years ago at a kids birthday party, I seen some small plastic harmonicas.

Since then I've always wanted to build the "Harmonirok" using the instruments as fins. I'm sure I could of had some fun creating music on the way up by blocking off holes....

I left the rocket at the other office...but consider an SLS Jaguar...
At first I was going to mount them high up near the nosecone but I ended up mounting them diametrically opposed nested between two fins, along the body.
I think they are perfectly disrupting the the laminar flow as they are LOUD as all get out. The ports are out, tip facing up.
TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Originally posted by DaveCombs
That takes the phrase "sounding rocket" to a whole new level, doesn't it?

So, where did you mount them? Any pics? I suppose it would be easy to put them on the tips of the fins.

I might just have to put that on my 4" rocket. Good way to get some attention.

Edward

I think the reason they are so much louder on a rocket is due to the venturi effect. On a rocket in the slipstream you're getting inbound air in the mouthpiece but you're also getting assistance with the evacuation over the whistle exhaust slot via the venturi effect.

You could test this theory by disrupting the air flow near the whistle exhaust port without blocking it.

Back