Wonderful is most certainly alive and well among us..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onebadhawk

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
An 83-year-old man was preparing to step onto the down escalator at the Holyoke Mall in Ingleside, Massachusetts, last summer... but suddenly stopped. Fear was obvious in his eyes, and he trembled. That did not go unnoticed. 23-year-old Alonzo Johnson caught it; he could tell the man was scared to death to step onto that escalator. So Alonzo quickly changed his course and headed over to the frightened, elderly man. He asked the man if he could help him down the escalator. The man said Yes, and Alonzo took him by the arm and the two of them carefully stepped onto the escalator. A friend Alonzo was with in the mall took a photo of the two riding down the escalator and posted it on Facebook. It quickly went viral and had more than 420,000 likes and more than 25,000 comments. One of those comments read: “In about an hour, the evening news will air and we'll be reminded of division, race wars, political mud-slinging, shootings and other heartaches. But today, violence, race, age, politics and other social lines were blurred and one person simply helped another.” Alonzo, who had no idea a photo was taken of the moment, said: “My mom always tells us to be nice and do the right thing... It's really the way I was brought up and how I was raised.” And from where I sit, Alonzo's mom did a pretty darn good job bringing him up..

1690583208791.png

A lady asks: "How much do you sell your eggs for?"

The old vendor replies "50¢ an egg, madam.” The lady says, “I'll take 6 eggs for $2.50 or I'm leaving.”

The old salesman replies “Buy them at the price you want, Madam. This is a good start for me because I haven't sold a single egg today and I need this to live.”

She bought her eggs at a bargain price and left with the feeling that she had won.

She got into her fancy car and went to a fancy restaurant with her friend. She and her friend ordered what they wanted. They ate a little and left a lot of what they had asked for.

They paid the bill, which was $150. The ladies gave $200 and told the fancy restaurant owner to keep the change as a tip...

This story might seem quite normal to the owner of the fancy restaurant, but very unfair to the egg seller...

The question it raises is:

𝙒𝙝𝙮 𝙙𝙤 𝙬𝙚 𝙖𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙚 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙥𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙬𝙚 𝙗𝙪𝙮 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙𝙮?

𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗲 𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗼 𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘆?

I once read this somewhere ,that a father used to buy goods from poor people at high prices, even though he didn't need the things. Sometimes he paid more for them.

I was amazed. One day his son asked him "Why are you doing this Dad?" His father replied: "It's charity wrapped in dignity, son."

Teddy

A nurse took the tired, anxious serviceman to the bedside. “Your son is here,” she said to the old man. She had to repeat the words several times before the patient’s eyes opened.
Heavily sedated because of the pain of his heart attack, he dimly saw the young uniformed Marine standing outside the oxygen tent. He reached out his hand. The Marine wrapped his toughened fingers around the old man’s limp ones, squeezing a message of love and encouragement.
The nurse brought a chair so that the Marine could sit beside the bed. All through the night the young Marine sat there in the poorly lighted ward, holding the old man’s hand and offering him words of love and strength. Occasionally, the nurse suggested that the Marine move away and rest awhile. He refused.
Whenever the nurse came into the ward, the Marine was oblivious of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the clanking of the oxygen tank, the laughter of the night staff members exchanging greetings, the cries and moans of the other patients. Now and then she heard him say a few gentle words. The dying man said nothing, only held tightly to his son all through the night.
Along towards dawn, the old man died. The Marine released the now lifeless hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse. While she did what she had to do, he waited.
Finally, she returned. She started to offer words of sympathy, but the Marine interrupted her, “Who was that man?” he asked.
The nurse was startled, “He was your father,” she answered.
“No, he wasn’t,” the Marine replied. “I never saw him before in my life.”
“Then why didn’t you say something when I took you to him?”
“I knew right away there had been a mistake, but I also knew he needed his son, and his son just wasn’t here. When I realized that he was too sick to tell whether or not I was his son, knowing how much he needed me, I stayed. I came here tonight to find a Mr. William Grey. His Son was killed in Iraq today, and I was sent to inform him. What was this Gentleman’s Name? “
The nurse with tears in her eyes answered, “Mr. William Grey………”
The next time someone needs you … just be there

Teddy

A nurse took the tired, anxious serviceman to the bedside. “Your son is here,” she said to the old man. She had to repeat the words several times before the patient’s eyes opened.
Heavily sedated because of the pain of his heart attack, he dimly saw the young uniformed Marine standing outside the oxygen tent. He reached out his hand. The Marine wrapped his toughened fingers around the old man’s limp ones, squeezing a message of love and encouragement.
The nurse brought a chair so that the Marine could sit beside the bed. All through the night the young Marine sat there in the poorly lighted ward, holding the old man’s hand and offering him words of love and strength. Occasionally, the nurse suggested that the Marine move away and rest awhile. He refused.
Whenever the nurse came into the ward, the Marine was oblivious of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the clanking of the oxygen tank, the laughter of the night staff members exchanging greetings, the cries and moans of the other patients. Now and then she heard him say a few gentle words. The dying man said nothing, only held tightly to his son all through the night.
Along towards dawn, the old man died. The Marine released the now lifeless hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse. While she did what she had to do, he waited.
Finally, she returned. She started to offer words of sympathy, but the Marine interrupted her, “Who was that man?” he asked.
“I knew right away there had been a mistake, but I also knew he needed his son, and his son just wasn’t here. When I realized that he was too sick to tell whether or not I was his son, knowing how much he needed me, I stayed. I came here tonight to find a Mr. William Grey. His Son was killed in Iraq today, and I was sent to inform him. What was this Gentleman’s Name? “

Teddy
This story has brought back a sad memory for me. An older friend in my small-town neighborhood was killed in Vietnam. A Marine. He was an only child, lived 3 blocks from me, and was well liked by everyone. He earned a Silver Star for his final action, coming forward to help pinned-down guys under fire. Coincidentally, his name was William Gray....
https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/19701/WILLIAM-R-GRAY-JR/

Teddy
Danged onions!!

This story has brought back a sad memory for me. An older friend in my small-town neighborhood was killed in Vietnam. A Marine. He was an only child, lived 3 blocks from me, and was well liked by everyone. He earned a Silver Star for his final action, coming forward to help pinned-down guys under fire. Coincidentally, his name was William Gray....
https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/19701/WILLIAM-R-GRAY-JR/
Huh,
My wife Sandy says there's a reason for everything.
Just because we don't have knowledge of the reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ( strage i couldn't get out of the double negative ).
Spelling of the last name is different though.

I don't know John.

Teddy

"Heading home on the Q train yesterday when this young black man nods off on the shoulder of a Jewish man. The man doesn't move a muscle, just lets him stay there. After a minute, I asked the man if he wanted me to wake the kid up, but he shook his head and responded, 'He must have had a long day, let him sleep. We've all been there, right?'"

main-qimg-a703b4666176d59a33cb8a37aa79312e

We could use more people like this. Compassion is the universal solution to a lot of the world’s problems. Let’s remember to be compassionate. We don’t always know where someone is at or the battle they are facing.

This is more common than you'd think on the NYC subway..

Teddy

Back