What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap. Here we go again! Another thumpy-bumpy night in store. I hope the folks further north are OK.
[edit] when the weatherguy on TV says "pegged out the meter"... I kinda worry
i don't know what the statistics say, but watching the news it sure looks like a lot of places had record snowfall ,record precipitation, flooding, a crap load of tornadoes..... it was all over the place.

Now that I finished up work in the basement of the new house, on to the kitchen renovations…. I’m doing the demo and flooring, hiring a contractor for the cabinets…. Started with exposing some fabulous 1961 wallpaper and a random AC duct hidden behind the worlds stupidest 6” deep cabinet…

Attachments

• IMG_6952.jpeg
    IMG_6952.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Watched a couple of hawks on the nearby Fire Station Antenna. Started to send my drone up to take pictures. Well you know Hawks if it flies it dies!

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    834.7 KB · Views: 0
i don't know what the statistics say, but watching the news it sure looks like a lot of places had record snowfall ,record precipitation, flooding, a crap load of tornadoes..... it was all over the place.
Yeah, but when the TV weather guy says things like "scours the earth", and "get underground or you will die", my ears perk up. One local station tracked storms (mostly on radar) until the early hours of this morning. They tracked a tornado the formed and died, them two others took its place - rotating in opposite directions, a clock-wise and counter-clock-wise rotation.

Last edited:
After four phone calls, three of them conference calls involving heavily accented speech (please......slow.......down) I was finally able to switch to Consumer Cellular and keep my number. Unfortunately I now get none or one bar at home. (The cell tower that was just two blocks away was taken down.) Drive half a mile north, 4 bars. At least the calls don't seem to be dropping.

Tracfone is inexpensive but you get what you pay for. They just didn't want to make it simple to switch.

Attempted to make lemon jam, as Corinne likes lemon and Geniece is a fanatic for it. Made lemon syrup instead :( ; a box and a half of pectin in just 2 1/2 pints of jam and it still wouldn't gel. At a guess, too much acid.
You could try making acid jellies, a type of "gummy" candy. Per 12 oz can of frozen juice concentrate, I use 6 packets of gelatin. I've made cranberry and "margarita" candies this way. Add the gelatin to about a half cup of juice and let sit so the juice can be absorbed. Bring the rest of the juice to a gentle boil. Slowly add in the gelatin mixture, stirring, and bring it back up to a gentle boil. Take it off the heat, and pour into a lightly greased heat-proof glass baking dish and allow to cool.
Another alternative is lemon curd. Fruit curds are a type of custard. Lemon curd can be made with eggs, butter, sugar, and of course, the lemons.

Sat on my butt half the day feeling like crap. Took some Amazon returns to the UPS store. I wish my wife would stop buying things and then deciding she doesn't want them after they arrive. Decided to stop trying to kill the crickets. No matter how many I kill they are replaced by some of the Giga Zillions in the desert. Last night I opened the garage doors to let some heat out and then tried to close them as fast as I could. Outside the doors were over a hundred crickets within ten feet of the doors. The second the doors went up and they saw the light inside they made a mass attempt to get inside. I spent the next ten minutes killing the ones that got in that I could find. These crickets are the kind that fly. When I was spraying them I would find an area with hundreds of them. Some looked like they were eating another of them. I would spray them and they both would move. They are breading. I hope it gets hot enough this summer that it kills the eggs. If not next year will be as bad or worse. After the wind the crickets are the second topic we talk about in town.

Read the updated insurance policy that comes as part of my credit card Seems hijacking of aircraft has increased in risk and reduction of payout if it happens. Actuaries are pretty good at working out risk .......
IMG_20240503_104939.jpg

Last edited:
I helped (watched) my lawn sprinkler company repair a part of the sprinkler system that I discovered wasn't working. They came yesterday and fixed another part that wasn't working because the internet company cut that wire when they installed new internet fiber cable. The other part wasn't getting electric continuity through the circuit, for some unknown reason. Even with their "sounding instrument" we couldn't find that valve. We ended up digging in another spot and hit the end of that circuit, the supply wires, and the main supply pipe. So the repair guy suggested tapping into the main supply and installing a new valve right there. They came back today to do that but we got a lot of rain overnight so the trenches and holes were full of water. I pumped out about 50 gallons with my old shop vac. The ground was pretty wet but we managed to get it finished and working. With the rain we don't really need it right now but we will later in the summer.

Today was a very rare day. When I got out of bed I felt better than I have for a month and a half. I went out to the garage and sat at my desk. Slid the blinds apart to see my wind sock across the street in the desert. Wind speed today was forecast for 10mph. When I looked at the wind sock it was hanging limp. I haven't seen that all year. I decided to fly something in the afternoon too. I had planned to do some shooting today. I had done some prep last night. This morning I took the rifles I wanted to shoot out of the safe and started putting all the stuff I needed together. I was going to go out at 2:00. But about 1:00 I started to feel bad again. I still wanted to go shooting. I pushed the time back to go to 4:00. In the end I didn't feel well enough to go at all. Scraped flying too. So what started out as a good day was wasted. Oh well.

9am cardiologist, 10am sleep doctor. Good news: one heart valve has minor leakage and there's some stiffening of some vessels but overall it's pretty good:clapping:. (In an earlier post I misunderstood one of the terms, thought it meant problems) Especially good news considering that both parents and four siblings (so far...), three of who are younger than me, have had serious heart problems. CPAP doing an excellent job of handling sleep apnea. Trazodone dose increased because 50 mg doesn't prevent waking at 1-2AM, as can be seen by the time stamp.

Also, after seven calls to Tracfone and Consumer Cellular, finally I can call AND text! :) (Don't care much about data. These fingers type on a keyboard much, much faster than on a little screen.)

teepot: suggest that next time you are going to open the garage door at night, you turn on a bright light outside first and keep the garage dim. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
--------------
prfesser: Friends who couldn't get enough bars at home installed some sort of gadget to help. In the attic, I think. Now they'll be fine as long as they don't get noticed by the WCTU.
----------
Have had a slump day, though I did get some exercise in and started to replace the old gel cell in my electric lawnmower with a lithium iron phosphate one that weighs much less. But then it started to rain.

I have a weed torch. At twilight it looks like an afterburner. After using Malathion for three nights and seeing no effect on them I think they are very hard to kill or Malathion isn't a good insecticide. Last night I got my can of scorpion spray and went after the ones near the garage doors and on the driveway. It kills them in seconds. When I went out today all I saw were dead ones. Tonight I turned all the lights off in the garage and opened the door. I expected to see some live ones. But all I saw were dead ones. I took the can of spray with me to the mail box and killed every one I saw. Now I need a new can. I could use the torch on them but there would be just as many the next night. So I give up and they win.

Fell. :(

I'm okay, just more pain and probably a spectacular bruise on the hip. Locking up the house last night. It's two steps down from the kitchen to the door to the garage. Put my foot wrong on the step, ankle turned, and down I went.

A friend told me "You know you're getting older when you fall in spectacular fashion, and everyone rushes to see if you're okay instead of laughing."

Fell. :(

I'm okay, just more pain and probably a spectacular bruise on the hip. Locking up the house last night. It's two steps down from the kitchen to the door to the garage. Put my foot wrong on the step, ankle turned, and down I went.

A friend told me "You know you're getting older when you fall in spectacular fashion, and everyone rushes to see if you're okay instead of laughing."
I've had 42 falls in the past 10 years.

I have a weed torch. At twilight it looks like an afterburner. After using Malathion for three nights and seeing no effect on them I think they are very hard to kill or Malathion isn't a good insecticide. Last night I got my can of scorpion spray and went after the ones near the garage doors and on the driveway. It kills them in seconds. When I went out today all I saw were dead ones. Tonight I turned all the lights off in the garage and opened the door. I expected to see some live ones. But all I saw were dead ones. I took the can of spray with me to the mail box and killed every one I saw. Now I need a new can. I could use the torch on them but there would be just as many the next night. So I give up and they win.

The dead bodies might keep live ones from wanting to hang out?

Back