What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up on this thread. I just finished this captivating read:
1705243153529.png

For some lighter fare, this Sci-Fi series is cheeky, but entertaining, I'm on the 2nd book.
1705243269907.png

This is next, just picked it up from the library:
1705243413497.png

Oh, and I'm in the middle of this, waiting for it to become available again through OverDrive (grrr):
1705244613119.png

Love this thread, a lot of good books on here - I've added these to my ever-growing list:
- Nimitz at War
- Vengeance
- Mysterious case of Rudolf Diesel
- 12 seconds of silence
- The Blind Watchmaker
- An immense world

Comments
- "Rocket Men" - Try "Apollo 8" by Kluger, I thought it was the better of the two that came out around the same time

I second these fantastic books mentioned recently:
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Philip K Dick
- A Canticle for Liebowitz, Walter M Miller
- City, Clifford Simak
- Wuthering Heights

Already on my list
- The Pacfic, Ian Toll
- The Space Barons

Well you have to commend Hobie1dog for posting a challenging opinion.

Here's two books just recently added to my read pile. Not sure which one to read first . . . .

View attachment 606138

Inquiring minds need to know.
I'm wondering if you finished Timoshenko. There is a lot of stuff in that book, that is one of the big ones on the subject of buckling. I understand some of it, it gets into differential equations pretty fast.

I'm wondering if you finished Timoshenko. There is a lot of stuff in that book, that is one of the big ones on the subject of buckling. I understand some of it, it gets into differential equations pretty fast.
I'm reading it in bits & pieces at a time. As you noted the math can get dense. What's more important
to me is the overall picture of what is happening to the structural element. How and Why it's reacting
(performing) the way it is.

This can help diagnose (explain) issues that develop in an already built structure, or help avoid
possible issues during the early stages in a design. The math just gets you a number. You still
need to "see" in your head what's happening.

Here's a good book to read while you wade through Timoshenko.

Highly recommend it for all engineering types - whether Degree'd or School of Hard Knocks.

Engineering_andthe_MindsEye.jpg

I finished the chapter on liquids in space propulsion and design. It was long good but long.

Ps solids is much less dense, probably because I know a bit already.

Just finished Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu: The Adventure of the Deadly Dimensions by Lois H. Gresh. Not a bad read, but I was a bit annoyed that Holmes and Watson kept using the Metric System. Victorian England used Imperial, not Metric. I mean, c'mon! I understand the desire to get Americans used to the Metric System, but it's a glaring anachronism.

Abuelita Faith: What women on the margins teach us about wisdom, persistence, and strength. By Kat Armas

I'm actually reading H.G. Wells "The War of the Worlds". I needed a little reading to take on my camping trip in case I needed to pass some time so I took it. I've seen the movies but never read the book, I didn't realize that the book was written in 1895.

Back