What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is, to some, discussing those topics strays awful close to their definition of religion. Stating "Lack of Data =/= God" doesn't help your case.

They’re welcome to think so, and smash Report if they feel the violation is especially egregious. I’m pretty sure my conduct and choice of approach is on my side though.

I have expressed similar sentiments regarding extraterrestrial visitors and other unproven phenomena. It’s less a religious or antireligious idea and more an expression of rational skepticism.

Just started reading Ian Toll’s three volume set on the War in the Pacific. Volume 1, titled Pacific Crucible covers 1941-1942.

1696698156042.jpeg
The Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard - A study of the impact of advertising on people from 1957. One of the first of its kind, from what I understand. A lot of it still feels pretty modern and relevant even today. Of course it contains plenty of the language and references of its own time. Very interesting from both a practical and a historical sense.

One more religious book, then I will be taking a break to read some non-religious books in my pile.

I figure the perspective of a convert ought to be interesting.

View attachment 613845
Try: "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins. Most scientific types will like it and the tone.
He has a similar or branch book "The Blind Watchmaker" that further details some things.

It's not religious....

If you are interested in Muslim stuff, this is an interesting discussion:
"Islam and the Future of Tolerance", by Maajid Nawaz/Sam Harris

I don't espouse all of the above opinions, but I did like reading them.

Try: "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins. Most scientific types will like it and the tone.
He has a similar or branch book "The Blind Watchmaker" that further details some things.
Biology isn't that interesting to me, and I already agree that evolution is real and don't need to be convinced, so I'll pass.

Next two in line. I've skimmed the John Monnett book and it's full of eye candy! The next, The Space Barons, is a bit more serious but after a couple of chapters, it's a good read... I mean, come on, the first chapter is titled "A Silly Way to Die".

1699413211596.png 1699413361942.png

Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde. Might make a decent movie if they could get a good actor to play Thursday.

Back