Upscale kit ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonRocketry

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas of upscaled kits you would like to see. I got a couple in works but always looking for ideas of what people are interested in.

Wonder what kit these go to?
tailcone.jpg

Keep in mind these upscales would be hi power kits. One I am working on for a friend right now is an upscale of the black hole space probe. This is a semi upscale. The reason I say semi is because we change the nose cone due to availability. This is 3" dia with a 54mm motor mount and is dual deployment. I should have enough stuff left over to do two more kits.

3in estes black hole space probe.jpg

Keep in mind these upscales would be hi power kits. One I am working on for a friend right now is an upscale of the black hole space probe. This is a semi upscale. The reason I say semi is because we change the nose cone due to availability. This is 3" dia with a 54mm motor mount and is dual deployment. I should have enough stuff left over to do two more kits.

View attachment 507860
Dibs

Estes Astron Omega (K-52P) in 3" and 4" diameters (same upscales go for the rest of this list), Astron Omega with Cineroc payload section, Citation Patriot, Maxi Icarus, Goblin, Der Big Red Max (1977), Astrocam 110 (original livery), Cameroc with Cameroc Carrier, Magnum Payloader.

I could go for either (or both 😉) a 4-inch Interceptor or Laser-X.
I've actually spent some time working on scratch building a larger upscale Laser-X, and it's tough if you keep the proportions accurate - the forward body tube is still really small diameter (if you want to try to pack a chute in it), and the main fins get really big real quick as you scale up.

Considering the number of rocketnutz like me who love the Interceptor, it might be a good choice for a 4" upscale. I don't know how well the pods would scale up on a high-power motor; rather draggy. An upscale of the Interceptor G would minimize the problem with draggy pods, and would even permit a three-motor cluster. But make a nose cone (conical, with cockpit) like the Interceptor and Interceptor E have.

It'd undoubtedly be an expensive kit, but what is money for? 😁

1646578578149.png

1646578601220.png

Considering the number of rocketnutz like me who love the Interceptor, it might be a good choice for a 4" upscale. I don't know how well the pods would scale up on a high-power motor; rather draggy. An upscale of the Interceptor G would minimize the problem with draggy pods, and would even permit a three-motor cluster. But make a nose cone (conical, with cockpit) like the Interceptor and Interceptor E have.

It'd undoubtedly be an expensive kit, but what is money for? 😁

View attachment 507936

View attachment 507937
This would be a semi scale as those tail cones would be a problem as I do not have a 3d printer yet. The pod nose cones, I am sure there is something out there close to the shape depending on what the pod tube size becomes. When I get some spare time, I will have to work on the design and see what i can come up with.

I'd like to see the entire von Braun line in the same scale from V2 to SatV. I can get some of them as current kits but not the entire line and they're all in different scales. 1/70th is a nice scale for the bigger ones but the smaller ones are squarely in the LPR size. Anything bigger and the large ones end up being very large and expensive.

Scott, not to hijack your thread but I have a 4" Explorer Aquarius nosecone if anyone can make a mold of it I would gladly pay costs. I have been wanting to kit this thing forever.

If you do an upscale Alien Explorer I can offer:
- any measurement or scan from an Estes
- any measurement or scan from a Semroc
- any measurement or scan from a MoreRockets
- to buy at least one :cool:

PS: If anyone has a Thrustline or Qmodeling ( did they make one? ) they want to get rid of.....

Keep in mind these upscales would be hi power kits.

I would like to see 3x ( 3..073 : 1 ) or 4x ( 4.0984 : 1 ) upscale of the Estes SAROS ( 22.5" overall length ) . . .

3X would have a length of 69.14" . . . 4X would be 92.2".

My personal preference would be the 3X size.

Dave F.

1647043364097.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back