Upscale Estes Guardian

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i do actually have a E-bay in it already (its just not assembled, i.e no bulkheads)..

Basically the order is like this:

Booster section
- When needed a 6" extender tube (which i haven't painted, and will separate the Guardian decal)
6" tube that is the e-bay
6" tube that attaches to the transition
Transition
Upper fin section
Nosecone

Basically my plan is to use the extender tube when i want to use electronic deployment,it will be put in place to allow room for a parachute and the ebay bulkhead when the ebay is assembled and another parachute will be placed in the upper fin section which has a 38mm stuffer tube

Im still not a 100% sure how ill set the whole thing up yet, since i don't have any electronics yet and have never messed with e-deploy or If I will even bother with e-deployment on this build... I really think i may hold all that off for a 5" or 6" guardian where ill have a bit more room in the airframe to work with and now that i have already got the basic idea of upscaling Guardian, the larger version will be much easier to figure out...

I also still may try to do e-deploy since i can get some really nice altitudes with AMW "I" reloads and some AT reloads. And anything over 2,000' I think i am gonna want DD

Anyway when/if you do build yours, id love to see how you do the electronics if you dont mind and remember to show me.

well Guardian flew this weekend at Three Oaks on a H242 and it was as I figured an absolutely beautiful flight, straight as an arrow up and probably reaching an altitude of 1500'-1700'. Recovery was flawless except for separation at most separation joints (will be fixed with removable rivets later)...

Anyway, this was also my second Level 1 cert attempt, and needless to say I passed and finally i am now a L1....

With that said, I would like to thank everyone that made this a successful build and L1 certification...

Special thanks to:
Randy Milliken: some build materials, custom transition, parachute, and moral support :D
Gus Pipenburg: motor, ride to 3 Oaks, and moral support as well :D

Thanks Dave... Now i am certified to spend a lot more money on my hobby, LOL

Congrats on your L1 cert. Thats a sweet looking rocket. The Guardian has always been one of my faves

rocketgurl,

Thank you much...

Yeah guardian is definitely my favorite rocket right now, it has always been a beautiful and stable flight, which i can only imagine has something to do with the multi-fin config... I seriously am considering doing another Guardian upscale for my L2 cert, but thats TBD yet...

I think next in line is a "buddy" project, where we are thinking of doing an approximate 4x upscale of the Comanche 3.. Again another of my favorite rockets..

However on a personal build I think I may have to make the BullPup my next upscale.. Or for shts n giggles doing a Astron Outlaw upscale.. Because when I became a BORN AGAIN ROCKETEER i bought the starter kit, and again the Astron Outlaw was quite stable plus has also outlasted all of my other Estes rockets up until I lost a fin on it a couple of weeks ago..

Anyway glad to see your yet another lady into rocketry, wish there was more like you out there..

LOL.. most women just look at me stupid/unmoved/uninterested when I talk about rocketry.. ;)

Anyway glad to see your yet another lady into rocketry, wish there was more like you out there..

LOL.. most women just look at me stupid/unmoved/uninterested when I talk about rocketry.. ;)

I just got started with rocketry about a year and a half ago. Got my L1 cert and the bug really bit me bad.

I just got started with rocketry about a year and a half ago. Got my L1 cert and the bug really bit me bad.

hehehe, I understand completely... For me all it took was my first scratch built "big rocket" and flying on a G67R.. I knew at that point I was hooked, this L1 cert only makes things "worse" hahaha... Which is obvious since im already considering my L2 project and studying the test questions :)

So what go you into rocketry in the first place, especially since its extremely rare to see women in this hobby (besides the ones tagging along with their husbands/boyfriends)...

LOL and i see you are yet another late night rocketeer (with the fast reply), sometimes I wonder how us vampire rocketeers ever make it to these early morning events, hahaha

LOL and i see you are yet another late night rocketeer (with the fast reply), sometimes I wonder how us vampire rocketeers ever make it to these early morning events, hahaha

We generally show up about the crack of noon!:rotflol:

hehehe, I understand completely... For me all it took was my first scratch built "big rocket" and flying on a G67R.. I knew at that point I was hooked, this L1 cert only makes things "worse" hahaha... Which is obvious since im already considering my L2 project and studying the test questions :)

So what go you into rocketry in the first place, especially since its extremely rare to see women in this hobby (besides the ones tagging along with their husbands/boyfriends)...

I've already passed the test...planning the L2 rocket.

What got me into rocketry? Boyfriend is Aerospace Engineering Major. Hes team captain of a Rocket team - Space Cowboys - compete in NASA's USLI program. I'm a Secondary Ed. major and they needed someone to do outreach with students.

I've already passed the test...planning the L2 rocket.

What got me into rocketry? Boyfriend is Aerospace Engineering Major. Hes team captain of a Rocket team - Space Cowboys - compete in NASA's USLI program. I'm a Secondary Ed. major and they needed someone to do outreach with students.

Ahhhhh, i see... So it was a BF that got you into it.. Thats cool...

Was checking out the space cowboy website... whats the deal with the Custom Recovery video... I realize its a rocket stuck in a tree but what are you guys using to make the top of the tree move so much, looks like someone has a fishing pole trying to get it down.. Which would be extremely hilarious to me since ive been "rocket fishing" a couple of times trying to get a rocket off the roof of the school near my house..

And i thought I was the only one with that crazy idea... If only i had as much luck really fishing as I do with "rocket fishing", i might be another Bill Dance... LOL, that just made me think of a really funny new "You Might Be A Redneck" joke.

Congratulations! Glad to hear the flight went well after the heartache of motor failure at NSL.

Ahhhhh, i see... So it was a BF that got you into it.. Thats cool...

Was checking out the space cowboy website... whats the deal with the Custom Recovery video... I realize its a rocket stuck in a tree but what are you guys using to make the top of the tree move so much, looks like someone has a fishing pole trying to get it down.. Which would be extremely hilarious to me since ive been "rocket fishing" a couple of times trying to get a rocket off the roof of the school near my house..

And i thought I was the only one with that crazy idea... If only i had as much luck really fishing as I do with "rocket fishing", i might be another Bill Dance... LOL, that just made me think of a really funny new "You Might Be A Redneck" joke.

Nope, we weren't "rocket fishing." That was actually one of our team members in the top of the tree trying to get it. We had two attempt it and then finally a girl had to get up there and get it.

That is one sweet rocket you've got there. The Guardian was the first rocket I ever build and launched...I've been planning an upscale for a while now and just haven't gotten around to it.

Nope, we weren't "rocket fishing." That was actually one of our team members in the top of the tree trying to get it. We had two attempt it and then finally a girl had to get up there and get it.

Is that the event that start y'all's official tree climber position?

Back