Upscale Estes Starship Vega Build! (3" dia. and blue tube!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what did you eat for breakfast, a dictionary? I will call them canards. 🤣
No, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. 🤣

I was just continuing the funnin' on you. Yes, I would call then canards. You do you, and call them what you want. We ALL get what you mean; we are just being TRFers...that's what we do!

What is most important is that you have a VERY COOL build, and we are all jealous.

just being TRFers...that's what we do!
I've been on the forum since June, believe me, I know.

Also, thanks for the tips! While actually building the rockets, for me is a higher priority than knowing all the terms, it is great to learn new terms. I have heard the term canard fins used before, but didn't think to use it. I want everyone on the forum to know that you are all great people, and very supportive.

Thank you all!

Also, I thought I had added this on the first post, but it looks like I forgot: This is probably the rocket I will use for my NAR junior certification. I have debated just building an apogee zephyr, Loc IV, or using my old scratch build Mega Der Red Max, but after a bit of consideration I couldn't help but go with something a bit crazier!

I downloaded the old instructions as help for this build- they actually were, very, very helpful. Now that you mention it I don't remember how I got that word, but now I know!

Ok, so this far into the build I have put together a basic "plan of action".

I will seal the tubes with some wood sealer I have, (yes I know I should use epoxy clay but I am out and I know this filler works), and then assemble the rocket.

I have heard from several rocketeers (and apogee components) that the best way to fill spiral seams in high power tube is to use epoxy clay, because it is stronger. I would prefer to use epoxy clay, but I have ran out and this wood filler also works.

I will seal the tubes with some wood sealer I have, (yes I know I should use epoxy clay but I am out and I know this filler works), and then assemble the rocket.

Why “should” you use epoxy clay?
I believe the correct wording would be I would rather use epoxy clay but I am out, so I will use wood filler.

The tube seams have been filled, and the small fin pod tube things have been glued to the landing leg mounts (if there is a better word for that please tell me!).
20240204_094526 (1).jpg

The motor mount has been glued with epoxy and is drying, and I also decided to put some of the parts together (without glue) again to see what the finished product will look like!
20240204_113959.jpg
20240204_113440.jpg

Remember, there is still yet another set of fins, the canards, that are not glued on yet. The rocket should look ever cooler with those on!

I have heard from several rocketeers (and apogee components) that the best way to fill spiral seams in high power tube is to use epoxy clay, because it is stronger. I would prefer to use epoxy clay, but I have ran out and this wood filler also works.
That seems possible, but odd. It seems obvious that the spiral filler isn't structural, but maybe on high end high power builds it is? Helping to prevent delamination of the spiral winding? And we often point out that wood glue, and the bond between wood glue and paper or balsa are stronger than the underlying material, but I can certainly believe that may not be true of Blue Tube.

Of course, Apogee sells Rocketpoxy, and it would be perfectly reasonable to pitch it a little, saying something like "Rocketpoxy is good for filling these spirals", but it seems unlike them to say wood filler is actually, materially worse for the job unless it is.

So, odd.

I tried thickened epoxy for filling spirals. Once. Epoxy does not sand well, absolutely nothing like CWF or one-part body putty, even if it's filled with microballoons/QCells. I've also tried Fix-It epoxy clay and found that sometimes it didn't stick as well to the substrate as I'd like.

And if epoxy in the spirals was considered for reasons of strength, I'd suggest just glassing the tube, or use fiberglass/carbon fiber tubing. I know, it's a bit spendy. :(

And if epoxy in the spirals was considered for reasons of strength, I'd suggest just glassing the tube, or use fiberglass/carbon fiber tubing. I know, it's a bit spendy. :(
I totally agree, and thought about including in my post that, if one is that worried about it, to use FG or CF tubes (though I didn't think about glassing the Blue Tube). I didn't mention it because using Blue Tube was a given at that point in the conversation.

Cool rocket and a very nice job with the build.
By any chance you'd be willing to share the .ork/.rkt file?
THX

The motor mount has been glued with epoxy and is drying, and I also decided to put some of the parts together (without glue) again to see what the finished product will look like!
View attachment 628534
View attachment 628535

Remember, there is still yet another set of fins, the canards, that are not glued on yet. The rocket should look ever cooler with those on!

That seems possible, but odd. It seems obvious that the spiral filler isn't structural, but maybe on high end high power builds it is? Helping to prevent delamination of the spiral winding? And we often point out that wood glue, and the bond between wood glue and paper or balsa are stronger than the underlying material, but I can certainly believe that may not be true of Blue Tube.

Of course, Apogee sells Rocketpoxy, and it would be perfectly reasonable to pitch it a little, saying something like "Rocketpoxy is good for filling these spirals", but it seems unlike them to say wood filler is actually, materially worse for the job unless it is.

So, odd.
I believe that apogee did say it for that reason. Also, the reason is not structural- The epoxy clay just stays in better --I guess saying "it is stronger" is not exactly what I meant to say either. The wood filler doesn't stay in as well and I sometimes have to fill it again before painting when I can seal it in. But yes, it is odd I have heard that epoxy clay is best. Apogee did not say specifically that it is better than wood filler, they just said it is the best thing to use. Of course I would believe them. In any case, I do prefer to use the epoxy clay.

Cool rocket and a very nice job with the build.
By any chance you'd be willing to share the .ork/.rkt file?
THX
I have not made one yet, but will be doing so soon so I can make sure it is stable. It will probably be a .rkt. I will post it when I have it.

Small lower fins glued on and epoxy filets have dried. The motor mount has also been securely glued in. Next I will put on the canard fins!
20240207_193101.jpg

Apogee did not say specifically that it is better than wood filler, they just said it is the best thing to use. Of course I would believe them.

I would take that recommendation with a big grain of salt. I personally did not like my experience with their epoxy clay and I don't recall other people on the forums singing its praises either. Wood filler is the standard for filling spirals, though I can see why you might consider something else for the deep blue tube spirals.

Last edited:
Epoxying the third main fin now. Then I will add filets and post a picture!

Latest posts

Back