Upscale Estes Starship Vega Build! (3" dia. and blue tube!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
I am building an upscale replica of the Estes Starship Vega:
1704251833483.png
I have already ordered parts from always ready rocketry; I will be using blue tube in this build! The upper and ventral fins have been cut by one of my dad's coworkers. I am going to cut the main fins on my school laser cutter as soon as I can. Here are the upper and ventral fins:
20240102_191400.jpg

I also have purchased a custom made balsa nose cone for this from Roachwerks. (Yes, they are still at it!)
20230328_095509.jpg20230328_095541.jpg

The main tube I ordered for this build is being cut to size and it has custom slots. It will have 6 slots, 3 for the ventral fins, and 3 for the main fins. The man who runs always ready rocketry says he is planning to work on the tube this weekend. Fingers crossed!!

That is not including the cost of the tube itself, which is 30$ on it's own.

Going to throw in this mostly irrelevant picture- a teaser for a future build thread. Do not post what you think it is- some of you will instantly know and others wont. Only posting it in this thread:
20240106_163701.jpg

Always ready rocketry order has arrived!! I now have a custom cut 3" tube with 6 slots, 3 tubes for the pods, another for the motor mount, and 2 centering rings.

20240111_200043.jpg

High quality as expected. Thanks, Dave!

Watching. Starship Vega is one of my favorites.
I had a Citation version in high school, built and wrecked a Q-Modeling version as a fresh BAR, then a 3"a couple years later.
My 3" had a rough landing a couple years ago so now I have to repair a landing leg.

1705173687451.png
Ordered some carbon fiber rods just now for the pods on this rocket. I know I need to stop being obsessed with carbon fiber but they were cheap and I couldn't resist.
My 3" had a rough landing a couple years ago so now I have to repair a landing leg.
At least that wont happen! hopefully...

View attachment 624174
Ordered some carbon fiber rods just now for the pods on this rocket. I know I need to stop being obsessed with carbon fiber but they were cheap and I couldn't resist.

At least that wont happen! hopefully...
Pray tell where does one get cheap carbon fiber rods these days?

Neat project.

They are not the beautiful rolled carbon fiber you have seen. Just plain black. By cheap I mean relatively. They were 16$ for all of them.

The rods are supposed to come tomorrow. They would have already come if it weren't for a snow storm. By snow storm I mean a half inch of snow. It doesn't take much to shut down Oregon, as we don't get much snow. School was also cancelled this week, so I couldn't use my school's laser cutter to cut out the main fins and rings for the pods. I hopefully will do that next week, Monday or Wednesday.

The carbon fiber rods have arrived, and I cut out the centering rings for the pods. The carbon fiber rods are actually really impressive; much higher quality than expected, no bending, VERY strong, no defects, relatively lightweight. The centering rings also came out good.
20240122_180813.jpg

As soon as the STEM teacher at our school has time to cut the way-too-big piece of plywood into smaller, cuttable pieces, I will cut out the main fins.

Decided to test fit the motor mount and ventral fins...
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A ventral fin, or any ventral feature, is one on the underside of something like a plane or a fish. On the top or back it's dorsal, on the bottom or belly it's ventral.

I don't know if there's a 25¢ word for those small fins in between the main ones. "Interdigitated minor fins" might do.

I will be assembling the pods and motor mount (and gluing it in the rocket), then attaching the small upper fins, then the small lower fins, then the main fins, then I will glue the pods to the main fins.

Back