University Launch Pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewGil

I think I know what I am doing
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am in a University HPR program, and we are looking into getting our own pads for our L1 workshops. There has been some push back from our local club on the amount of students we bring out for certifications. Thus we are thinking of making/ getting our own pads. What would be the best bet?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011RU9ALG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then...

https://8020.net/1010.html
Then...Go support the local hardware store and buy whatever hardware floats your boat for attaching the 2 - there are a lot of ways to do this. Also get some tent spikes to hold down the legs. Might also want to find some scrap metal for a blast deflector. But you're rocket scientists so I'm sure you can fill in the gaps I am leaving here. ;)

Sorry you're getting push back. That's disappointing and I sure hope it isn't discouraging. As a USLI Mentor I hate to see that sort of thing happen for any reason.

Sorry about the pushback. You’ll get less of it if you and your fellow students arrive early and carry most of the setup burden and stay late to take it down. We put up extra pads when we know we will have a lot of students, and, fortunately, they figured out that helping out makes things go a lot better.

I am in a University HPR program, and we are looking into getting our own pads for our L1 workshops. There has been some push back from our local club on the amount of students we bring out for certifications. Thus we are thinking of making/ getting our own pads. What would be the best bet?
Sorry about pushback from the local club, but being in a small club with 5-6 college teams coming out and the same number of TARC teams, I can understand it.
You really need to understand what the pushback is really about and why it's there. Then work with the local club to mitigate their issues. Compromise! Pre-coordinate! It's a two way street. You can't just show up with a large group and overload their few volunteers, most of which want to fly their rockets, just because it's an open launch. The prefect should know 2 weeks in advance how many will be there, how many want to do cert flights, and what equipment they need. Then don't change any of that on the day of the launch. You need to have firm control of your group too.

Good luck and hope things work out better for you.

Well, sounds like one of the issues was a lack of pads, and the university team is addressing that. Good on them.

I think that is a smart solution. I have been to a couple launches where 15-25 students were there for L1 certs, which overwhelmed the 3 or 4 HPR pads the club set up as for a typical launch event. Nobody else could fly until the students cleared out a few hours later. If the students have their own bank of pads (assuming the club has the electronics to support it), that should keep things moving.

I also think the Jawstand and a 1010 rail is the best way to go for quick, DIY pads that can be fabbed with wood and hand tools. No welding or metal work needed.

Make sure the club knows in advance how many people will be certifying as far in advance as you can. Or ask the RSO how many they can cope with before the launch day and you limit the numbers at your end. That way everyone will be on the same page. Having your own launchpad helps but doesn't provide any more RSO's to do the paperwork. Range guys like to fly too. Occasionally. Once you're suitably certified, volunteer as RSO or LCO.
This shows you're prepared to plan ahead, to contribute and to play fair.
Certifying flights normally get priority over others. If you turn up with 20 people that want to certify with no communication with the club, prefect etc, you might not be greeted with as much love..........

Last edited:
Sorry you're getting push back. That's disappointing and I sure hope it isn't discouraging. As a USLI Mentor I hate to see that sort of thing happen for any reason.
Sometimes clubs can become overwhelmed by the pressure from students for certification, particularly small clubs with limited launch opportunities. The clubs are doing their best to provide all members, not just students, with a safe and inclusive environment.

By all means, provide your own pads. As mentioned previously, the jaw stand and 1010 rail is a good start for HPR pads.

However, one of the best ways to assist the club in facilitating university team launches and certifications is to be very well prepared for each launch. Do as much preparation as you can prior to the launch. Offer to help out with range duties where/when appropriate to reduce the load on the club officers.

Last edited:
We started to have lots of students attend our launches, due to Spaceport America Cup and some other comps. We started them out with some being on social media tasks, and also working with the committee to get a typically younger point of view. They now form an active part of our club office bearers, and assist with running the range and setup/teardown. It is great to see so many students and the enthusiasm that they bring to the club. There was one launch recently that I think had about 140 people attending. A significant number of those were from local and interstate universities, on the leadup to SAC.

We started to have lots of students attend our launches, due to Spaceport America Cup and some other comps. We started them out with some being on social media tasks, and also working with the committee to get a typically younger point of view. They now form an active part of our club office bearers, and assist with running the range and setup/teardown. It is great to see so many students and the enthusiasm that they bring to the club. There was one launch recently that I think had about 140 people attending. A significant number of those were from local and interstate universities, on the leadup to SAC.
They are great but lack in lessons in life. While you or I know that chucking a donut in your ute is great fun but not what you do at a launch site on a farm, apparently they don't. Now been added to the things they do know..... :)

A thought: most larger universities, and a number of smaller ones, have a proper shop and machinist/instrument repair/etc worker. If you need to make pads, don't make 'em. Have the facility at the uni do the job, depending on how it will be billed. Billed to the department and not your group? Go for it.

Lots of designs out there for high-power pads. John Coker has a simple design that many rocketnutz have used. A few images of one of my favorites: here, here, and here.

To the OP, very sorry to hear about the pushback, however, as a TRA Prefect and one that supports many certifications (60+ during the 2022-2023 flying season) and also many college teams (NASA SLI, Spaceport, etc.) will say that the keys to success are:
-Respect: Must respect the hosting entity, land owner, safety codes, and the clubs specific rules. If a lack of respect is perceived (real or not) there will be issues.
-Communication: Informing the certification entity (Prefect or TAP) in advance is huge. We ask that anyone who will attempt a certification reach out to the Prefect and we provide contact info. This is on our website and is communicated at launches and club meetings. Note communication goes both ways, the club needs to communicate expectations, and those attending should inform the club of what they intend to do.
-Partnership: Launches are only successful if many help. Set up, operations, and tear down need to be a partnership of all involved. True there are specific requirements for LCO, RSO etc. but not to carry equipment or run cables.

Hope pad construction goes well and that all come together to support the common goal of safe flight operations for all that aim to fly.

-Sean

Why not meet with the local club and sort it out. I'm sure they would be happy to work with you. We work with 2 universities along with the local TARC teams and it all works well when planned correctly. Not to mention where will you launch and who will handle the waiver.

Latest posts

Back