Turning my first nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been in this boat a couple of times, Jim. I would recommend automotive body filler to build the aft end back up to where it needs to be. Works fine on wood but you do have to be careful of not oversanding the balsa while you are fairing the two together. Do this before you get to a point where you can't remount the part on the lathe. Gordy is right, the best recourse is to start over, but this will work if you take your time. Just have fun with it, take your time and you will be fine. Good to see you trying some new things, nice project! Later, John.:handshake:

I got the shoulder sanded to fit inside the clear tubing. Apparently somewhere along the line, I sanded the diameter of the nose cone too small. Yeah, I muttered a few choice words. I measured it several times with a caliper, not sure where I went wrong. The only thing I can think of at this point is to build up the diameter with putty and sand it smooth. I'm open to suggestions.

After well over a year, I decided to resurrect this build. My recent nose cone turning successes have given me the confidence to try again. I cut a piece of the clear tubing to use as a guide, and smeared Bondo spot putty around the nose cone, to hopefully build it up to the correct diameter.

90_shoulder.jpg

91_shoulder.jpg

92_bondo.jpg

93_bondo.jpg

Unfortunately, the Bondo didn't adhere to the balsa as well as I had hoped. So I'll try some Elmer's wood filler and see if that works better.

95_bondo.jpg

96_bondo.jpg

97_wood_filler.jpg

98_wood_filler.jpg

I hear ya brother-it's about 4 hours at a stretch for me now. sux to get old but I'll take it over the other option....

Well, the wood filler worked better. But this nose cone just isn't going to work out, the shape isn't right. Plus, it's not very straight, as you can see in the video. I'll have to start over, with basswood this time.

[YOUTUBE]QmNP3RMipuo[/YOUTUBE]

99_wood_filler.jpg

100_wood_filler.jpg

101_wood_filler.jpg

102_wood_filler.jpg

103_spinning.jpg

Does that small imperfection really matter in the overall scheme of things?

I know, I know. It's the principle of the thing.

Does that small imperfection really matter in the overall scheme of things?

I know, I know. It's the principle of the thing.

The shape isn't quite right. It narrows just forward of the shoulder. I'm afraid it would bug me too much. But after I get the transition turned, I'll see how it looks in the payload section.

Turn it down for a smaller size BT and use it to build another rocket ('cause thats what you need...).

You know, that's not a bad idea. I've had an idea for a BT-80 based design that needs an elliptical nose cone. Hmmm...

Back