Nose Cones for Blue Tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure the right sub-forum for parts questions, so I'll put it here in Scratch Built, where the cool kids hang out. (And because it's about a part for a potential scratch build.)

Context: I'm planning (which means I may or may not ever build) a 29 mm, minimum diameter rocket for CTI engines with the tail cone rear closure. I might call it "Zoom", or something like that. It would be for mid to high power, F to I engines, so I'm planning to use Blue Tube.

Issue: A nose cone's base diameter should match the body tube's OD, and the shoulder diameter should match the ID, obviously. So the thicker the tube wall (like the large thickness of Blue Tube) the bigger the difference between base and shoulder diameters, i.e. the step size, must be. Pictured is the nose cone from my Apogee Slo-Mo in the Blue Tube I'm thinking of using:
PXL_20230409_195141127.jpg
So the question is, where does one get nose cones with the required shoulder-to-base step size? Yes, there are ways to fabricate one's own. Ways aplenty that do not need rehashing here. The question is where, and for that matter if one can buy them.

Since it's Blue Tube I'm thinking about, I tried Always Ready's web site, but they don't seem to have nose cones for sale.

The same question, of course, would apply much more broadly to other brands and types of body tubes.

Blue Tube is mostly the same as cardboard and (other) phenolic tubes, so I would expect Loc/Precision and Public Missiles to have tubes. (29mm is a bit small for MPR/HPR, but I'd imagine there would be at least a couple of choices.

I'm not sure the right sub-forum for parts questions, so I'll put it here in Scratch Built, where the cool kids hang out. (And because it's about a part for a potential scratch build.)

Context: I'm planning (which means I may or may not ever build) a 29 mm, minimum diameter rocket for CTI engines with the tail cone rear closure. I might call it "Zoom", or something like that. It would be for mid to high power, F to I engines, so I'm planning to use Blue Tube.

Issue: A nose cone's base diameter should match the body tube's OD, and the shoulder diameter should match the ID, obviously. So the thicker the tube wall (like the large thickness of Blue Tube) the bigger the difference between base and shoulder diameters, i.e. the step size, must be. Pictured is the nose cone from my Apogee Slo-Mo in the Blue Tube I'm thinking of using:
View attachment 573976
So the question is, where does one get nose cones with the required shoulder-to-base step size? Yes, there are ways to fabricate one's own. Ways aplenty that do not need rehashing here. The question is where, and for that matter if one can buy them.

Since it's Blue Tube I'm thinking about, I tried Always Ready's web site, but they don't seem to have nose cones for sale.

The same question, of course, would apply much more broadly to other brands and types of body tubes.
Print one.

Blue Tube is mostly the same as cardboard and (other) phenolic tubes, so I would expect Loc/Precision and Public Missiles to have tubes. (29mm is a bit small for MPR/HPR, but I'd imagine there would be at least a couple of choices.
https://alwaysreadyrocketry.com/product/nosecones/
But as John mentioned, blue tube mostly matches HPR tubing, and the nose cones at ARR are probably LOC/PML cones.
Thanks. And I guess I should have looked harder at ARR.

Print one.
Yes, there are ways to fabricate one's own. Ways aplenty that do not need rehashing here. The question is where, and for that matter if one can buy them.

Thanks. And I guess I should have looked harder at ARR.
Use any of the nose cone design programs and create what you want. Then get a price. Or, if you don't want to design it yourself, PM me what the dimensions/shape shoulder length are and I'll design it for you. Then you just have to order it.
1681074247724.png

Last edited:
You could just sand a taper into the end of the tube so that it matches the base diameter of your nosecone.

In 29mm to my knowledge there are only a few nosecones: the PML conical, the Apogee you already have, the new Estes So Long, and the fiberglass ones that used to pop up at Madcow or Wildman.

The heavy urethane from PML is probably closest available, unless you can find a 29mm GoDevil kit somewhere.

In 29mm to my knowledge there are only a few nosecones

Indeed.

Composite Warehouse has them listed for 2 different tube thicknesses. They’re expensive and you’ll have to draw your own conclusions on ordering from them.

@jqavins, I have a spare 29mm printed ogive. Must likely for LPR tube, but I’ll measure the shoulder tonight and post.

Back