Estes NC-80K Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place but since it applies to mid-power here we go...

I am working on a new scratch built design that uses an Estes NC-80K nose cone. I was just working in OpenRocket and that's when I noticed how short the shoulder is. The diameter is 2.6 inches but the shoulder is only 1 inch.

This is the same nose cone used on the Maxi Alpha, Phoenix and Executioner. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems due to the short shoulder?

TIA,
-BOb

NC80K is one of my favorites. Never any issue with the shoulder length. Plenty of friction to hold it, as is. Of course you can always put a couple pieces of masking tape on, depending on airframe condition, weather, etc.

I feel like the shoulder is more than an inch, I can measure when I get home tonight. I’ve got 2 rockets that use this Cone and no issues.

Rocketarium carries an 80K nose cone, it’s heavier than the Estes version and the shoulder is a bit longer - can’t beat the $7.00 price. Rocketarium’s kits that I’ve built have had top notch materials.

https://www.rocketarium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_59&products_id=1529
This is a great cone, but nothing wrong with the Estes one either. If a build will demand a bit more nose weight, then the choice is clearer.

Shoulder on the Estes cone is 1", just measured one.

A nice thing about the Estes PNC-80K is that short, 1-in shoulder goes all the way around at the same length. So when it uncorks, it uncorks.

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1291/est1291.pdf
The Rocketarium cone is like the Estes 3-in cone, where the wedge-shaped void for the recovery attachment loop uncorks the airframe for pressure after only a small amount of travel, while there may still be significant friction to be overcome to separate the cone from the tube.

The Rocketarium nose cone is just a bit longer (8.25 versus 8.125 for the Estes), made of heavier material and does have the longer shoulder. If it was in their Amazon store I would buy one or two. Apogee also has a nice one that is like the Rocketarium nose cone but is actually a little longer at 9 inches which would be great for this build but it's 18.20 plus 9.74 shipping. The Estes nose cone is 4.49 and I always need more of their pro series parts that can only be bought from Estes so free shipping is easy to reach :)

If a build will demand a bit more nose weight, then the choice is clearer Oh yeah, plenty of nose weight. Short rocket, fins not at the end of the body tube, plus a boat tail. I have 7 ounces added to get 1 cal with a G64

WARNING: Upcoming sort of rant
I am only designing this rocket as a BT-80 because Estes is out of stock on a lot of the pro series parts. Some sizes you can get the body tubes but not the nose cone. Other sizes is just the opposite. Some parts have sort of disappeared like the 29mm motor tubes. I love that they are bringing out more pro series parts but they need to keep what they have in stock. And make the BT-70 parts available separately and the smaller pro chutes available as well.

Anyway, thanks for all the inputs. Now that I know it doesn't have issues like the Big Daddy nose cone I am going forward with it in the design

-Bob

I feel like the shoulder is more than an inch, I can measure when I get home tonight. I’ve got 2 rockets that use this Cone and no issues.
It is only an inch. I guess I never thought about it, the Cone works great on 2 of my rockets.

Back