Troubleshooting my Eggtimer Proton-Fixed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Okay the title says it mostly, and yes I did send an email to Eggtimer Support (first thing, after trying to figure it out for myself). I have built a fair number of Egg products and only had an issue once before (2 Quantums, 5 or 6 Quarks, TRS,Eggfinder LCD with all modules, EggFinder Mini) so either I am missing something thats causing the issue or possibly a bad/damaged part (I have yet to cook one but there is a first time for everything).

The issue: I connect power and the only thing that happens is a quick multi-flash on the blue LED on the WiFi board. Hoperfully TRF doesn't reduce the pics quality too much.Proton1.jpg Proton2.jpg Proton3.jpg Proton4.jpg Proton5.jpg

Last edited:
My second step after a good visual is to go over it and hit every connection with the soldering iron.

I can't see any issues from the pictures. But Cris usually responds pretty fast.

My second step after a good visual is to go over it and hit every connection with the soldering iron.

I can't see any issues from the pictures. But Cris usually responds pretty fast.

I did the same thing, if not every nearly every connection got a second pass, especially the ones that looked "less than solid". I know Cris responds pretty quick, just thought I would see if someone on TRF saw something I didn't, I even reverified my polarities several times.

Problem solved, it was the 103 resistor to the right of the 331 resistor and to the left of the 28 pin processor, it was "tombstoned" a bit and the one end may not have been making connection. Solution was to completely remove the resistor and replace with the "extra" that Cris sends of certain very small parts (I have a bag full of extras after all the kits I have assembled). Now the unit boots up just fine.

I have no idea, but this looks weird..compared to the others.

Tony

Attachments

• here...jpg
    here...jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 137
I am SO glad you posted. I had same symptoms ... short blink of the WiFi status LED, no beeps, no output other than garbage line to console.

It turns out I had a cold solder joint on that same resistor. Fixed it, and I'm off and running with a working Proton.

Thanks,

Curtis

The ESP8266 is very picky about pullup and pulldown resistors... if one of them is missing it won't boot. Pretty sure that's the issue here, although the data line actually controls the deployment FET (the low-side).

Glad you posted this. I can honestly say I am a bit intimidated building this thing. So many tiny pins. Ugh.

Glad you posted this. I can honestly say I am a bit intimidated building this thing. So many tiny pins. Ugh.
My first Egg Kit was a Quark, and it was my first electronics soldering project ever, my second was a TRS in my opinion the Proton is somewhere between a Quantum and a TRS in difficulty, the TRS iirc had some really tiny resistors (800 size maybe?) but I dont recall it having near the multi-pin chips like the Proton. Cris's method of attaching the WiFi module by turning it into a through hole device is so much easier than the other method. I have been entertaining the idea of doing assemblies for people, now that I am proficient at Egg products.

...in my opinion the Proton is somewhere between a Quantum and a TRS in difficulty...
That's what we have on the Degree of Assembly Difficulty scale on the web site... a Quantum is a 3 and a TRS is a 5. Building a Proton is about like building two Quantums. The parts are the same size, there's just a bunch more of them. A TRS is another story... lots of itty bitty parts.

That's what we have on the Degree of Assembly Difficulty scale on the web site... a Quantum is a 3 and a TRS is a 5. Building a Proton is about like building two Quantums. The parts are the same size, there's just a bunch more of them. A TRS is another story... lots of itty bitty parts.

Hmmmm, Got 3 TRS's built but I thought they were easier than the Quantums. I whacked a voltage regulator and I suspect there was a short under
the WiFi module on the Quantum I dorked. Got a higher powered VR and still no go so that's the breaks. My other Quantums are fine.

The TRS's are just a bit tedious but no WiFi module to deal with. All three came up nominally with me. Really nice units.
Kurt Savegnago

Hmmmm, Got 3 TRS's built but I thought they were easier than the Quantums. I whacked a voltage regulator and I suspect there was a short under
the WiFi module on the Quantum I dorked. Got a higher powered VR and still no go so that's the breaks. My other Quantums are fine.

The TRS's are just a bit tedious but no WiFi module to deal with. All three came up nominally with me. Really nice units.
Kurt Savegnago

Actually I find the WiFi module quite easy to do, yes it has a bunch of pins to insert and solder but its not bad at all IMO. The error on this one and the TRS problem I had were all me, not the product, I can't say enough good stuff about Cris or his products.

I've done a few Egg products. I cooked my first Quark but have since been given a hot air/solder station that helps tremendously. Hardest part is me getting the paste right where I need it, but I am seeing videos where a line of paste is place across the pads and the heat flows it to where it goes. I need to try that.

Back