Struggling With Eggtimer Builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the issue is or even where to start looking. I seem to have difficulty flashing different Eggtimer products with firmware updates. I assembled a Quantum today. It fired up on the first attempt, broadcasts a wifi access point, sends the expected page to my browser with continuity and ran a successful test fire on both channels. However, when I tried to flash the current firmware, it does not connect. When I short the PGM pads and connect the battery, I get continuous beep and the update fails with a message that it cannot connect. Likewise when I try to connect with Putty, it opens the serial port but no data appears to be sent. The instructions said to check connections on the wifi module when no data is sent out, but the wifi does seem to be working.

I've had similar frustrations flashing my LCD receiver. No matter how many times and ways I try to short the RST pads, when I run the command for the firmware upgrade the LCD just boots as normal rather than downloading the new firmware.

The USB dongle does work with my Windows 11 laptop. The TRS connects through Putty it accepts commands as I would expect. It also accepted the firmware update the first time with no errors.

If all that isn't enough, my LCD with old firmware developed a new problem today. I wanted to set the frequency on my Eggfinder Mini to the same as my TRS and use different ID channels. After connecting the Mini to the LCD with the cable, the LCD showed the programming options, but after setting the ID, it made a long beep after pressing the button, but did not show the next screen where it says the changes were saved and turn off to reset. Even with the Mini disconnected, the LCD will no longer save any settings that are changed on it and when it is reset, any changes made were not saved.

Sorry for the long posts, but I'm stumped.

The Quantum will often make a continuous beep while flashing... it's because of a shared pin. (Sometimes when you design things and you're one pin short you have to make some compromises).

It sounds to me like your fundamental problem isn't the device, it's your serial interface and driver. If you have the cable interface, you need to use the driver that's on our web site... the one that comes with Windows doesn't work, and the one on Prolific's web site no longer works with this cable either. If you have the "dongle", see the document on our web site about using the dongle. We also recommend setting the port to COM2... the update programs seem to work better that way.

The driver is current. The port is set to COM2 with 115200 bits per second, 8 data bits, no parity 1 stop bit and no flow control. The batch file matches the baud and COM2

The TRS took the update with the same cable and dongle and also connects through Putty with the baud set at 9600.

sillabsdriver.png

I get this error:

Code:
C:\eggtimer>Quantum_1_09f.bat

C:\eggtimer>esptool.exe -vv -cd ck -cb 115200 -cp COM2 -ca 0x00000 -cf Quantum_1_09f.bin
esptool v0.4.5 - (c) 2014 Ch. Klippel <[email protected]>
        setting board to ck
        setting baudrate from 115200 to 115200
        setting port from COM1 to COM2
        setting address from 0x00000000 to 0x00000000
        espcomm_upload_file
        stat Quantum_1_09f.bin success
        setting serial port timeouts to 1000 ms
opening bootloader
resetting board
trying to connect
        flush start
        setting serial port timeouts to 1 ms
        flush complete
        espcomm_send_command: sending command header
        espcomm_send_command: sending command payload
        read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
resetting board
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
resetting board
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
        flush start
        flush complete
        read 0, requested 1
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed

C:\eggtimer>

The Wifi device update pretty easily... just put the jumper on PGM, and leave it there during the programming procedure. If you're pulling it out like you have to do with the LCD, TRS, etc. then it's not going to work.

Also check your connections... I've seen some that "look" OK but are actually loose.

I still cannot get any of these devices to update. Connections look good and shiny and nothing feels loose. I was not pulling the jumper off the PGM pads like is done with the LCD. I even ordered and tried a different USB to TTL device. They're going in the spare parts bin.

If you can't get them to update, you can send them to me and I will update them. PM me.
Does that apply to me, too? I’m really inept when it comes to connecting things to the computer. COM port? What’s that? (I’m not quite that bad, but close) Putty? Isn’t that what plumbers use to put a drain in the sink?

Sure, but email/PM me first. I don't have the time to handle 100 Eggs showing up at my doorstep for firmware updating... that's why we publish the procedure and the firmware.

Back