Tripoli Wisconsin TWA - Bong - April 8th, 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I have a hair or two trimmed, I might be inclined to attend the festival of the launching of the self-propelled aerial devices.

Hey Justin,

Thanks as always for taking some great pic's of the launch today. Here's a video of what happened after that beautiful lift off pic you took of my 12" Bullet Bobby, lol!

Bullet Bobby.JPG

Always a good time seeing my rocket buds at Bong.

Yes. It weathercocked a bit, but everything flight-wise was fine. Good recovery all the way around. If the booster had landed 5' west, it would have been back in my trunk. Literally.

I'm working up the videos now.

Eggstation testing didn't go as well. The telemetry channel errored out on site, and I haven't figured out why. Also, it hangs, then causes buffer over flows when my surface goes to sleep. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep it awake.

Dave, here's a frame from the onboard video with G79 Smokey Sam doing its thing.
View attachment 573767

And in this one the red fin is pointed directly at AeppelTreow Cidery/Distillery.

View attachment 573768
Charles, what was the motive power in the Terrier Booster? I've not had an opportunity to see many of the different propellant formulas, is that Blue Thunder?

You should use the second photo in your Cidery/Distillery advertising. Great images!!!

Charles, what was the motive power in the Terrier Booster? I've not had an opportunity to see many of the different propellant formulas, is that Blue Thunder?

You should use the second photo in your Cidery/Distillery advertising. Great images!!!
The motor in the Talos was an AT DMS I-500 Blue Thunder. Well Spotted.

What happened to the Bullet after the great lift off

I noticed just how loose the nosecone was when we were putting it on the rail and should have wrapped a layer of tape on the shoulder. It also didn't help that the shoulder was only 4" long.

When Bobby went sideways air must have gotten between it and separated it. The chute put the brakes on under full thrust and the rocket barrel rolled with the kevlar cord sheering all 4 fins off. Big perk to the 6' Rocket Man Chute that held up to that motor under thrust without failing.

Capture.JPG

All and all it was a great day to fly.

Last edited:
I noticed just how loose the nosecone was when we were putting it on the rail and should have wrapped a layer of tape on the shoulder. It also didn't help that the shoulder was only 4" long.

When Bobby went sideways air must have gotten between it and separated it. The chute put the brakes on under full thrust and the rocket barrel rolled with the kevlar cord sheering all 4 fins off. Big perk to the 6' Rocket Man Chute that held up to that motor under thrust without failing.

View attachment 573941

All and all it was a great day to fly.
To bad it happened Bobby looks great. You'll have to get Bobby healed back up and try again.

Back