Tim "Wildman" Lehr for the BOD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim has been my money drain for the past 6 years I believe. Beyond that, as others have said, he's a first class individual that provides a constant source of help, entertainment, supplies, and friendship. He's a tremendous asset to the Midwest and abroad, and with a few votes, a tremendous asset to the whole TRA org. Mark my vote!

-Eric-

tim:

what would your position be on the current state of affairs, i.e:

No written test of NFPA 1127 is currently required for a person attempting an L1 cert. A written test on NFPA 1127 is required for L2 cert.

It seems to me this is backward. A person flying L1 rockets should know the NFPA 1127 as well as anybody doing L2 or above.

I mean afterwall, NFPA 1127 and the TRA Safety Code are both the same thing yes? SO right now both the NAR and TRA allows a person to fly and cert as L1 without knowing NFPA 1127 or the TRA safety code in this instance, if you are a TRA member. Souldn't TRA members know the TAR Safety Code prior to certifying at L!?

Don't you think it would be better if everybody knew NFPA 1127 if a NAR L1 and the TRA safety Code if a TRA L1 certifier?

thanks in advance,

terry dean

ps by the way, the fact that TRA members who are running for TRA BOD, have the foresight to annouce their candidancy here on TRF shows how important TRF has become as a communciation tool for all NAR/TRA members!...
Maybe the next NAR trustee election will also bring them forth here on TRF?

Heck with people like Tim and Erik running for lsots on the TRA BOD, heck I may even break down and join the TRA.

Don't you think it would be better if everybody knew NFPA 1127 if a NAR L1 and the TRA safety Code if a TRA L1 certifier?

This is a trickey one I still don't know the entire process for NFPA
The tripoli test for level 2 doesn't tell you much about the NFPA what really gets me no where does it tell you how to find this stuff

The only way I could find it was to buy a copy from the NFPA website

We have 2 seats on the nfpa from what I understand so we do have some say in how it is written,but I could be wrong

I personally think that prefects should be aware of it at least

To answer your question level one partial and level 2 more with some way of researching it besides memorising the test
Tim

Originally posted by WILDMANRS

This is a trickey one I still don't know the entire process for NFPA
The tripoli test for level 2 doesn't tell you much about the NFPA what really gets me no where does it tell you how to find this stuff

The only way I could find it was to buy a copy from the NFPA website

Hi Tim,

That was the biggest obstacle I ran into when attempting my L2 certification flight. I had to do all my studying by taking the practice test and learning the answers to all the questions in the pool.
I soon realized that I didn't actually know much about NFPA 1127 and the TRA safety code, I only knew the answers to the predetermined questions. I could read the first 4 words of a question and I knew if the answer was A, B, or C without even having to read them, because of how I was forced to learn. Admittedly, I still knew the correct answers, but less so than if I had been legitimatley allowed to read through NFPA1127.

I would suggest perhaps including a copy (or a slightly abridged copy if it's over 20 pages) of the TRA safety code, and NFPA 1127 with every tripoli membership folder...this was certifying members will be allowed to actually learn the test materials instead of memorizing questions.

nate,
makes sense to me, but heres even a wilder idea as i agree this stuff is pretty easily memorized w/o much else.

First, forget including hard copies of anything. Have a page description of the materials needed to be mastered with links to the appropriate places.

Second: no pool of questions on-line or elsewhere from which the actual exam questions must be taken from. Ok to have tons of sample questions along with explanations for the answers.

Third: have a panel constantly rewrite the questions for the exam.

this is more or less how med school was, my god to have on-line a guarenteed pool of questions, only the bravest would have learned a thing.

now grad school was a different beast altogether--oral examiners have an uncanny way of probing the soft underbelly neath the facade... impractical here, but cuts to the mustard...
john s

Tim-
A question.
As I understand it, TRA commercial and research launches are not to be combined for insurance purposes.
What is the possibility of having two distinct insurance policies and designating prefectures as "Standard" or "Research"?
The prefectures could decide which they choose to be.
The standard ones would continue with the status quo while those that choose research could mix and match as they see fit.
Yes, the research choice would likely cost more, but you gotta pay to play, right?

Thanks,

Greg

Seems like we are desperately trying to staple Jell-O to the wall with respect to combining Resaerch and Commercial launches.

Tim - I missed where the NFPA came into the picture. Can you point me at that info?

A

I'm pretty sure the thing about perchlorates was due to dry cleaning.

Perchloreythelene does not break down and continues to polute for years after a spill.

Enviromental studies from around dry cleaning sites and some electronic parts manufacturing facilities show "perc" in the soil for YEARS after the dumping occured

Some of the EPA's most contaminated sites are from perchloreythelene.

Back