Tim "Wildman" Lehr for the BOD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Fellow Rocketeers:

I am a native son of the great state of Illinois. I was born in1964 in Oak Park, raised in Woodridge since the age of four, and lived in Van Orin since 1998. I’ve been married to my wonderful wife Jackie for 11 years, and we are blessed with three wonderful children between 15 and 21years of age.

My first introduction to rocketry came on a family visit to the Kennedy Space Center when I was 8 years old. Soon after that unforgettable trip, I was introduced to hobby rocketry when my brother received the Cox Saturn V starter set. it seemed absolutely huge to me .That rocket kit left an indelible impression on me, and I started flying model rockets when was ten years old—using the same Cox Saturn V starter set. When I say the same set, I mean the same set: it was my brother’s rocket. And then, like many of us, I flew uncountable numbers of Estes and Centuri rockets. I was forced to quit flying hobby rockets in 1982 for awhile when I graduated from high school and joined the Marines, and had to work with real rockets, helicopters and such.

After retiring from the Marines I returned to Illinois and started my own body shop. As fate would have it the body shop was short lived, and I went to work with my Dad in the local Midway Finer Foods family-owned store. A year later I became a mechanic and also took up a side job of throwing newspapers (the roots of my current delivery business). Upon returning home, and all throughout this time, I was flying low power rockets—unaware of the existence of larger hobby rockets. I discovered MPR and HPR in 1997, and similarly to many TRA members who had a temporary leave of absence from the hobby—this discovery profoundly changed my life. Exploring the brave new world of bigger and better rockets led me to a hobby shop in the Chicago suburbs, which was teeming with rocketry goodies that lifted the imagination and the spirit, and punished the wallet. One thing led to another, and in 1998, I took a job as the “rocketdude” at that hobby store.

As a benefit of my personal growth in rocketry (I completed my TRA L3 certification in 2001), and through incessant conversations with rocketeers at the store and at local launches at which I vended, it became abundantly clear to me that there were many ways in which I could contribute to the development and growth of the hobby. This realization has become the driving force in my life. I decided that I would have greatest flexibility in this regard if I were to strike out on my own, without competing demands of other store departments influencing my ambition to expand the options available to rocketeers—including myself. So, I started my own rocketry business (Wildman Rocketry). This has had several important implications for my involvement in hobby rocketry. For example, rather than vending locally only, I now also vend from coast to coast—and even in different countries (for example, the last LDRS launch in Canada). Thus I have ample opportunity to meet with TRA and NAR fliers around the country, and to hear the concerns of the membership at a national level, rather than singly the concerns of my local colleagues, or of a non-representative sample calling my store or ordering material over the internet. Thus, I am astutely aware of common concerns as well as local issues, across the board, across the land, and across the border.

With increasing frequency and snowballing success, I’ve been making alliances with manufacturers to produce and distribute high-quality material (for example, all fiberglass rocket kits, reloadable motor systems, parachutes) that save rocketeers money—getting them more bang for the buck. This increases the prowess, involvement and satisfaction of current fliers, brings new people into the hobby, and increases the sales and profitability of the manufacturers. I also am very active in promoting junior fliers—offering educational and club discounts, providing launch infrastructure for kids groups, supporting efforts such as the well-known Rockets for Schools program, and pro bono teaching and demonstration of rocketry in schools and community clubs.

I also decided that fliers (including me) needed more opportunities to fly. Accordingly, I became one of the founding members of Tripoli Quad Cities, abbreviated as TQC (https://tripoliquadcities39.com/page9.html), and am now the Prefect. Together we grew from a small club of less than a dozen members, to one of the most vibrant collections of rocketeers in the area. The TQC club now has over 50 members, our web page message board (https://p209.ezboard.com/btqc) has 149 members from as far away as New Zealand, and three current BOD members post on our boards. In October we annually sponsor the Midwest Power launch, which last year attracted 100 fliers from 8 states, in only the 3rd year for the event

Our launches are newsworthy, as evidenced by articles covering the events we sponsor, and projects we fly, that are published in rocketry periodicals such as Extreme Rocketry. TQC group and member projects also are newsworthy: members of TQC (including me) have appeared on the Discovery Show special on LDRS, have been featured in Extreme Rocketry LDRS DVDs, and the Master Blasters show.

Members of TQC are also “regulars” at multiple national and regional events, such as LDRS, AirFest, Southern Nationals, to name a few. It truly is a brotherhood of like-minded people.

Like any brothers, of course, the sailing is not always smooth. In an environment in which Estes rockets sit on the launch pad at the same time as do Q-powered giants, with an eclectic collection of NAR and TRA members, one might expect differences of opinions to emerge, especially among people with the strong will and self determination typical of those in our hobby. And, one would not be disappointed—as differences of opinion do occur from time to time. This opportunity for “clash of titans” is exacerbated by the fact that our club has a multitude of research fliers, building rocket motors up to P impulse routinely as well as electronic devices, recovery systems, gigantic launch systems, radio-control devices for launch control, telemetry, recovery operations, tracking, and so forth. And yet, we always have managed to work out a solution through open communication: we debate, come to a resolution, and we are stronger friends and colleagues as a result. We pull together, and get things done. .

I truly love this hobby and the people who are involved in it. You won’t find a better group of people anywhere. That’s why I have put so much time and effort into improving the lot of the fliers and the manufacturers, and why I am asking for your support in running for the office of BOD. Increasing involvement in rocketry is not a passing fad for me… I am in frequent contact with many individuals in leadership roles in hobby rocketry—including current officers in TRA and NAR, with commercial manufacturers and vendors in all domains of hobby material, with rocketry club presidents, insurance officers, FAA administrators, and local, regional, national and international regulatory agencies I believe that this gestalt provides me with a relatively unique capacity to understand the needs of the fliers, the organizers, the regulators, and the business infrastructure.

Why do I want to serve on the Tripoli Board?

I believe that if elected I can contribute to making Tripoli grow as a whole like I have done in the Quad Cities area. Specific issues that interest me include closing the rapidly increasing gulf separating commercial and EX fliers—that threatens to splinter our membership into opposing factions, as well increasing the maximum power allowed at premier launches—currently set at levels far below that the FAA permits. I will strive to do everything in my power to ensure that TRA is run for the membership. Those who know me well also know that I will ask the tough questions, and that I will never be content to stop with the answer “because that’s the way it is”.

Tripoli was formed by people that were not afraid to take it to the next level and I want to ensure it stays that way.

Our future as a community is ours to forge, together.

Thank you for your support,

Tim Lehr

Very well thought out. You have great prices and treat you customers very well, therefore I think that you will make a great addition to the BoD. I hope that you get the position Tim, and we look forward to seeing you again at LDRS and AirFest.

Good Luck

I have known tim for about 6 years. He is a stand up guy! He will work for the members,for years I have seen him give up his own flying time to help out a new rocketeer,at a lunch he will announce a kid's estes rocket with as much fanfare as the largest project at the launch.

Steve M
TRA 09342 L2
Thanks to The Wildman!

I've been using Tim as my primary vendor for the past year since returning to the hobby and moving forward into HPR. That first purchase was due to his prices. However, while his prices are great, his service, knowledge, and friendliness and willingness to provide advice on projects/materials is why I always return. I had the pleasure of meeting Tim for the first time at this year's Florida Winter Nationals. He's even better in person than on the phone. I think he'd make an excellent addition to the BoD. He certainly has my support.

I too have worked with Tim before, and he is absolutely great for the hobby. He is my primary HPR vendor, and is very helpful with any project, regardless of the scale.

Good luck Tim - you definitely have my support.

Tim

Thank you for bringing your resume over for consideration

A few questions:

1) Would you support the possibility of combined EX (Research) and commercial launches? Please explain why you feel the way you do.

2) Regarding the motor certification process. Would you discuss any changes you feel would be beneficial?

3) Speaking of certification, would you speak to how you feel about the status of the flyer certification process? Do you believe improvements are possible?

Thanks

Al

al:

what is important is insurance coverage for combined hpr/mr/research(EX or AR).

The TRA insurance is Primary and coverage for a landowner is available. Also availble is Liability Waiver for non-TRA members and spectators.

Does anybody from TRA know if the current Insurance policy as written allows for combined launches.

The only other possible legal exculsion might arise from the NFPA codes, but I haven't reviewed them yet.

Terry

I realize that there are insurance difficulties. I am trying to get a feel for whether our BOD candidates think the battle is worth fighting. This subject is important to me as I am trying to maintain membership in a time where some the reallyskilled flyers drive 4-5 hours past our launch because we don't actively do EX.

A

Al please read my resume

The answer to your first question is there

1)Yes I support combined launches with no seperation !
Flying rockets is flying rockets

2)I feel that motor cetifcation needs to be done to insure the public gets what they pay for and makes the MFG. accountalbe to put out a quality product

3)The answer to this question involves #1
I am in favor of a level 4 certification for research flyers to give it a little more credability ,saftey and another goal to reach for our membership I know that this will not be popular with some people but in comanation with #1 I think that this would be a benificail to all and safer all the way around
If you are asking about something else please elaberate and I will reply

I've dealt with Tim before and I was very impressed, I had a problem with my order and Tim got on the phone and straightened things out immediatly. I even got a call back from wildman to see if everything was ok. I'd love to see Tim on the BOD, would really help advance the hobby.

I'd have to agree with most of these posts. I have only dealt with Tim from afar. Spoke with him a few time on the phone. Attended a banquet with him. Fixed any order snafus I have had immediately. Attended Midwest Power III and he did a super job. Tireless in his efforts! Puts on a top quality launch (especially like the satellite radio piped in to the launch site), great banquet afterward, solicits input for improvements, etc. Just a great for rocketry all around!

-Tim

Tim

Thanks for your responses, which answered everthing I needed to know.

I must of read your resume three times and still did not catch the answer to #1.

Perhaps I will off-line my amplifying questions as the one I do have is an almost guaranteed flamefest trigger.

A

Tim,

A question for you, and any other BOD candidates. Someone hands you a copy of this report, and asks you how you can support a hobby that is destroying the environment. How would you respond?

https://www.commondreams.org/news2006/0303-08.htm

"White House Delays Release of Study Showing Toxic Rocket Fuel in Most Americans"

wildman,

we met briefly--i think during balls at brunos, but may me mistaken. there is a rumor you might be vending at some of the bigger colo launches, in which case hope to spend some money, provided its not on products already available--we need Loki out here!

but that is all an aside, as a matter of fact i would agree on the "l4", or better yet an L2 or 3 with additional rsch designation. most of the exers i know are L2 and while capable of L3, may not have the 400 bucks or so for a cert load. they should not have to be l3 certed to do what they are already safely doing.

but given the imminent tra/nar victory over batf, the recent relaxation re commingling of motors at rsch launches, and the smaller time window, i agree that an additional designation is in all our best interests, with say a 50 question exam pulled from a pool of several hundred, along the lines of HAM radio. people really need to understand the interactions between grain geom, prop characteristics, nozzle size, retention, burst strength etc, as reduced fed restrictions will likely lead to greater availability of 2 part mix and shake, "instant" amarillo blue on the internet. and those that charge money for classes, are they to be subject to certification/curriculum oversite?

my other query, would be along the lines of promoting growth in the hobby, and maybe coattailing on the imminent boom in non-govt space/rocket activity.

lastly i appreciate your guts in winging it on a big and diverse public forum like this, vs the few hundred word tra election statement. that takes some huevos.

we need huevos in this time of duck for cover, someone might notice what we are up to, time!
john smolley, md,pphd

A question for you, and any other BOD candidates. Someone hands you a copy of this report, and asks you how you can support a hobby that is destroying the environment. How would you respond

First there is nothing here about destroying the enviroment , they are saying is stunts growth if I am reading it correctly
Second they are not saying its caused from rockets as a matter of fact they are saying its comming from water and food not at alll connected with model rockets more about military

Tim

I plan on comming to mile high mayhem

If you guys can't get an M reload for under $400 you need to call me

One of the reasons that I suggest a level 4 is there is nothing in level 1 or 2 about electronics and almost all research motors require them , level 3 requires them and a little more scrutiny

About rideing the coat tails of the atf thing I don't think so we have at least tripled the size of our club here under the past 5 years has tripoli as a whole done that ?

Lastly I want to THANK YOU all for the complements here

If elected I will do my best to serve the members that includes answering questions I can't always be on all of the forums but you can always contact me directly

P.S. my spelling Sucks please don't count that against me :D

Thank You
Tim

its here

Specific issues that interest me include closing the rapidly increasing gulf separating commercial and EX fliers—that threatens to splinter our membership into opposing factions

Tim

Originally posted by WILDMANRS
I plan on comming to mile high mayhem

If you guys can't get an M reload for under $400 you need to call me

One of the reasons that I suggest a level 4 is there is nothing in level 1 or 2 about electronics and almost all research motors require them , level 3 requires them and a little more scrutiny

About rideing the coat tails of the atf thing I don't think so we have at least tripled the size of our club here under the past 5 years has tripoli as a whole done that ?

Lastly I want to THANK YOU all for the complements here

If elected I will do my best to serve the members that includes answering questions I can't always be on all of the forums but you can always contact me directly

P.S. my spelling Sucks please don't count that against me :D

Thank You
Tim

wildman,
you're right of course in that l2 doesn't require altimeter knowledge or demo of expertise, yet ones a weenie not to use electronic dd (with motor backup if needed) imho, and if i'm not mistaken, there are many l2 reloads where you have no option but to use such. fix that first, then tailor the ex designations. Of course folks can argue that they can build into their research motors smoke and timed ec's but if anything that may be trickier than 2 or 3 bates grains naked and wall to wall.

glad to hear you'll be at mile-hi-mayhem. as you likely know, joe h is working on getting windows above our standing 20k (yes, read it and weep for most of you), and you'll be well advised to bring some big loads.
js

I absolutley love Wildman's service and prices, and Tim is a magnificent guy to work with.
I hope you'll bring an M1315 for me to MHM Tim, I'll certainly buy it from you. :D:D:D

I look forward to the election results, I would love to see you on the BOD, your resume seems very well said, and I appreciate all your responses on this forum so far.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by denverdoc

glad to hear you'll be at mile-hi-mayhem. as you likely know, joe h is working on getting windows above our standing 20k (yes, read it and weep for most of you), and you'll be well advised to bring some big loads.
js

LOL :D

Yeah - we've discussed windows of between 25 and 35k, although that may or may not happen by MHM (I hope it does however). There have even been discussions about raising the standing waiver to 25k and getting a 35k call in.

Overall, it should be a great launch, and I'd bet money that it will be NCR's biggest launch to date, both by number of flyers and by propellant burned.

Other than that little off topic bit, I agree with everything else that's been said, and can guarantee that me and my dad will buy at least 2 J's and several I's from you at MHM. You have among the best service, and the lowest prices of anyone around, and are willing to help anyone and everyone at launches. I think you would be a real asset to the BOD, and wish you the best of luck getting the position.

Originally posted by WILDMANRS
its here

Specific issues that interest me include closing the rapidly increasing gulf separating commercial and EX fliers—that threatens to splinter our membership into opposing factions

Tim

Found it!

Where do I claim by prize? I hear you are doing a $400 L3 special with a 75-6400 motor and an M1315.:p

A guy can dream can't he?

I'm seriously considering joining TRA soon actually. Although I am already an NAR junior member, and already junior certed through the NAR, the newest Tripoli mag sounds like it might be good, and financially supporting both organizations has some benefit imho, especially as it could help fund the legal battle against the ATF. I'm still thinking about it, but there's a strong chance I'll have joined by the time the elections happen.

If I am a member by the time the elections happen, I'll definitely vote for you.

Where do I claim by prize? I hear you are doing a $400 L3 special with a 75-6400 motor and an M1315.
You know I am going to get all kinds of phone calls monday about this asking for that special Thats a going to be a hard one to do
Tim

ATTENTION EVERYBODY

The $400 L3 special is a joke on my part, please do not call Wildman asking for it.

On the other hand if you do and he coughs it up, I'll give you $500 for it...

Seriously

Thanks for the dialog Tim. I hope you will pop in from time to time just to keep up with what our segment of the community is doing

OT: CJL the new TRA mag "Rockets" is not included in your membership fee. It's extra, but I think you get a discount on the normal subscription price.

I'm waiting for the March/April issue to come out. I'll buy that single copy 'cause I want the Winter Nats report and to take a look at the mag to see if it's worth the price of subscription.

Originally posted by MarkM
OT: CJL the new TRA mag "Rockets" is not included in your membership fee. It's extra, but I think you get a discount on the normal subscription price.

I'm waiting for the March/April issue to come out. I'll buy that single copy 'cause I want the Winter Nats report and to take a look at the mag to see if it's worth the price of subscription.

I know that, however, the discounted subscription is not the main reason I would join. That is simply a fringe benefit ;)

Well..............I am glad to see you finally took our conversation on the way back from Canada serious. Congratulations on your decision and you can count on me for undying support!

I think you can do more for this hobby in a year, if given the opportunity ,than is imaginable, considering the postion you are in, and the availablity of personal contact to the members you offer. via your constant travel to launches.

As much as you have supported rocketry thru your attendance to numerous launches, and your continued effort to do so, all rocketeers who consider the direction this hobby or sport is going, should welcome the chance to support you in your effort to represent them on the issues at hand..................... GOOD LUCK!

For those of you who don't know who he is, this is Tim Lehr carrying his entry [ Jumanj] out to the pad at the Winternationals.

Vote Tim Lehr for President

Back