This wife needs gift ideas...thanks. :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the launch box goes your best bet is to look at fishing tackle boxes, but it needs to be a large one. Take a look at what he normally brings with to a launch as see how much room he needs and then add more he will use it.
I got a wooden toolbox, one of those things they only seem to sell at Christmas, as a gift a few years before I got back into rocketry, and it sat around empty. But boy, is it a good range box!

And hey... how is he fixed for paint? And primer? Seriously, when people ask me what I want I say "Rustoleum Filler Primer." You can never have too much...

Hi - I know next-to-nothing about model rockets, but my husband has been building/launching rockets since he was a kid, and it seems like I always get him a rocket kit for his birthday and Christmas (which are 5 days apart and that stinks! haha).

I am wondering if you can suggest rocketry-related gifts other than kits. I was thinking a launch box or something, which would be useful, but not really a "wow!" kind of gift. Help me?!

Thanks. :)

Honey? Is that you?

You're the best!

I'd like the Altimeter Two to see how high my rockets go, and an 808 #16 keychain camera for strapping to the rocket and recording in-flight video.

Thanks, Sweetie!

Another recomendation for the Altimeter 2 by Jolly Logic. Every rocketeer should have at least one.

Reloadable motors are another great gift. The Aerotech hobbyline motors are a must have for anyone stepping up from small rockets to mid sized.

When my wife or kids ask me what I want for Christmas, B'day or Fathers Day I usually say a Hobbylinc gift certificate. I can pick out what I want from a good selection of rocketry products and it is very easy for them to buy online and for me to redeem online. There are a lot of other vendors besides Hobbylinc but few of them match the value and selection.

Here are the recommended Aerotech motors for his Initiator rocket. Check where he stores his rocket motors to see what he doesn't already have. If he doesn't have an RMS 29/40-120 casing, that would be a nice gift. You could also buy him some appropriate reload packs for that RMS casing. All depends on how much you want to spend. If he absolutely prefers single use (SU) motors for their simplicity (don't know how you could accurately determine that without asking him), you could buy him some SU motors. An economical source for all of these would be:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=TC&submit=Search&str_s=aerotech&p=1 (4 pages worth to scroll through)

SU means single use:

AET-77910.jpg

RMS means reloadable motor system:

4899979689_6b79677d2e_z.jpg

Recommended RMS Motors for Initiator rocket:

E18-4W
E11-3J
E28-4T
F24-4W
F12-3J
F39-6T
F35-5W
E16-4W
E23-5T
F40-7W
F22-5J
F52-8T
G53-7FJ
G64-7W
G71-7R
G76-7G

Recommended SU Motors Initiator rocket:

E15-4W
E30-4T
F32-4T
F20-4W
F23-4FJ
F25-6W
F26-6FJ
F27-4R
F42-4T
F50-6T
G38-7FJ
G40-7W
G77-7R
G78-7G
G79-7W

If he's a details kind of guy, a nice airbrush kit would be a great idea!

g-train

I have to agree with giving him an altimeter. Every person flying rockets will at some point always want to know how high or how fast it went. I'll bet your husband too!

IMHO the AltimeterTwo from Jolly Logic would be the perfect choice. He can fly it in any of his rockets.

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! I will check everything out but the altimeter sounds cool (just afraid if he loses a rocket it will be gone!) and the tools that were mentioned. I will check out his motor situation tomorrow when he's at work. I am confident he does not have any reloadable motors so that is also a big possibility. And I may just get him a NAR t-shirt or something with it. Not very 'wow' but I know he would like it and wear it with pride.

And Thirsty guy...I don't think I am your wife. haha! But if my husband is on here (I am not even sure?!) then he will definitely know this is me by the user name! Agh.

Thanks again -- these are really all great ideas that I would never have thought of. Will keep checking back for more replies. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! I will check everything out but the altimeter sounds cool (just afraid if he loses a rocket it will be gone!) and the tools that were mentioned. I will check out his motor situation tomorrow when he's at work. I am confident he does not have any reloadable motors so that is also a big possibility. And I may just get him a NAR t-shirt or something with it. Not very 'wow' but I know he would like it and wear it with pride.

And Thirsty guy...I don't think I am your wife. haha! But if my husband is on here (I am not even sure?!) then he will definitely know this is me by the user name! Agh.

Thanks again -- these are really all great ideas that I would never have thought of. Will keep checking back for more replies. Have a great rest of the weekend!

I don't know where you fly, but if thick, near ground, foliage is a problem, then a small personal alarm may help, especially if you've got a relatively expensive altimeter or RMS casing riding onboard, and they're pretty cheap, too.

Latest posts

Back