The Executuioner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleaklejok

Reaction score
Is the Executuioner from Estes a rocket worth buying? My rocket club instructor has one. My friends and I all think its very cool in general... So is it worth buying?..

I have 4 of them and love them. I keep buying them when I see a sale.
It is a good rocket to put a 29mm mount in if you want bigger motors. Yiou can also change it up a bit and build it with a "zipperless" design. I would say YES it is worth it.

I have one, and after about a dozen great flights I l love it. It's been a lot of fun and will be for a long time.

www.hobbylinc.com

Executioner-E Model Rocket Kit by Estes Rockets

Vital Information
Updated 10/3/2011
Your Price: $28.09 Retail: $43.49
Savings: 35% off
Product #: EST1951
Availability: Usually ships out in 24 hours

'E'normous "E" powered model rocket that stands over 3 feet (0.9 m) tall! The Executioner comes with a blow molded nose cone, laser cut wood fins and a slotted body tube.
Found In : Model Rockets > Rocket Kits > Level 3

The Executioner is a very popular kit, and a great Mid Power rocket. :cool:

I think a lot of folks leave out the motor hook, and upgrade the shock cord and parachute. I added a Rocketarium 24mm retainer on mine.

My Executioner flys great on composite 24mm motors like the E15, or F32. :y:

I stretched mine with another length of BT80 and replaced the single motor mount with a 3x24mm. Flies awesome on D12's, E9's and AT E20's!

I'd get a Big Bertha first, it's cheaper to launch and it flies great.

www.hobbylinc.com

Executioner-E Model Rocket Kit by Estes Rockets

I ordered mine from hobbylinc. The fins were badly warped, and the body dinged up. Hobbylinc said they'd talk to the warehouse manager about it, but provided no further help. I could have emailed Estes, but I decided to fix the issues myself since they were more annoying than catastrophic.....

It was a fun build, good solid kit. On my second flight, the parachute failed to eject due to my poor packing. Hit the ground at 40 MPH. I cut off 6" of body tube, and threw her right back on the pad. Flew great. :) I'm going to order/buy another one. This time I'll pay more and get it locally so I can check it out.

Some shots and video of mine: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26673

I haven't built an Executioner as an Executioner yet (have a couple more on hand) but I did build one as a Maxi Alpha instead (used same thickness of balsa to make a Maxi Alpha fin set that I added the TTW fin tab to). I would suggest a few mods to it, however:

1) add an ejection baffle to it - that BT-80 takes a lot of wadding to fill and gives you a good chance for blow-by. A baffle eliminates both of those problems.

2) replace the shock cord with something a bit more stout - I'd use a couple feet or so of either braided nylon or kevlar. You can use either 1/4" elastic or the 1/4" rubber as a bungee section if you like, but at least add a couple feet of nylon or kevlar to that. I usually attach a kevlar bridle to the baffle for attachment rather than using an Estes paper mount on the BT wall.

3) replace the plastic parachute with a nylon chute. I you decide to fly it with either 24mm reloads or with SU composite motors, you stand a really good chance of pulling those shroud line off that plastic parachute. A nylon chute will be a lot tougher.

Everything else can be built stock, even flying with E or F composites. The orange motor spacer that comes with the kit will adapt AT motors just fine (if you are at all worried about clearance, you can always peal a layer from the inside before you use it, but it really isn't necessary). Except maybe for epoxy fin fillets, you can use yellow glue for the build - it will be plenty strong for E and F motors without over-building.

I ordered mine from hobbylinc. The fins were badly warped, and the body dinged up.

QUOTE]

Warped fins and fin slots seem to be a common problem with this kit. Estes makes the kit, Hobbylinc only sells the kit at a sizable discount.

Put Executioner into search to read about the problems and the solutions people have come up with.

I ordered mine from hobbylinc. The fins were badly warped, and the body dinged up. Hobbylinc said they'd talk to the warehouse manager about it, but provided no further help. I could have emailed Estes, but I decided to fix the issues myself since they were more annoying than catastrophic.....

It was a fun build, good solid kit. On my second flight, the parachute failed to eject due to my poor packing. Hit the ground at 40 MPH. I cut off 6" of body tube, and threw her right back on the pad. Flew great. :) I'm going to order/buy another one. This time I'll pay more and get it locally so I can check it out.

Some shots and video of mine: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26673

I've only received one damaged kit from hobbylinc. I emailed them, they sent me a return authorization with postage for the damaged kit and sent me a new kit. Very good customer service from my perspective.

I love my Executioner. I replaced the motor tube with a LOC/PRecision 24mm motor tube (thicker/beefier tube, handles heat better), and changed out the recovery system with a long piece of kevlar cord, and fly it on 24mm reloads all the time. This thing LOVES E18-4 and F24-7 loads...

I love my Executioner. I got it from Hobbylinc. The fins were warped, but I emailed Estes and they sent me a new set. The fin tab slots were too narrow, but that was no big deal. I built it stock using epoxy. I've only flown it on AP motors, and my favorite is the E11.

[YOUTUBE]yZtbIFRE9hY[/YOUTUBE]

I would suggest a few mods to it, however:

1) add an ejection baffle to it - that BT-80 takes a lot of wadding to fill and gives you a good chance for blow-by. A baffle eliminates both of those problems.

2) replace the shock cord with something a bit more stout - I'd use a couple feet or so of either braided nylon or kevlar. You can use either 1/4" elastic or the 1/4" rubber as a bungee section if you like, but at least add a couple feet of nylon or kevlar to that. I usually attach a kevlar bridle to the baffle for attachment rather than using an Estes paper mount on the BT wall.

3) replace the plastic parachute with a nylon chute. I you decide to fly it with either 24mm reloads or with SU composite motors, you stand a really good chance of pulling those shroud line off that plastic parachute. A nylon chute will be a lot tougher.

Everything else can be built stock, even flying with E or F composites. The orange motor spacer that comes with the kit will adapt AT motors just fine (if you are at all worried about clearance, you can always peal a layer from the inside before you use it, but it really isn't necessary). Except maybe for epoxy fin fillets, you can use yellow glue for the build - it will be plenty strong for E and F motors without over-building.

All good points that I incorporated into mine as well. Sadly the parachute came after a failure of the stock chute. :( I was too imaptient to wait until the nylon chute was complete though. I built my baffle into the tube coupler and attached the kevlar there. It's fun to fly and performs well on a wide range of motors.

I still order from hobbylinc, Got a box of motors in the mail today.
But since the fin issue is so widespread, and they seem to have warped ones, I thought itd be good to mention. He may have a step or two to do in prep that isn't listed in the instructions. For someone new, that's good to know about.

Before deciding how to build, look at what motors you will use. I added epoxy fillets and a nylon chute. A D12-3 only flies to about 190 feet. An E9 would likely be a lob, and possible dart. If you plan to use larger motors, then swapping out parts isn't as much of an issue.

One of the members of the rocketry club QQuake and I belong to (SARG) routinely flies his Executioner on F39's. Other than being a zipperless conversion, it's basically stock and gets outta Dodge right smartly.

I have an Executioner, and I LOVE it! But be warned, you might have to make some upgrades. I put in a kevlar cord, plywood rings, and a screw eye for the shock cord mount. I also added some light external epoxy fillets using fixit epoxy. I also added a Nomex square, and a 24" nylon 'chute. Final weight is about 10 ounces without the motor.
It flies fine on D15 motors, but I have an E15 just taunting me...
Overall, it is a great value. You can get one real cheap at hobbylinc.com, too.

I launched my teachers executioner today at rocket club and it was amazing I'm going to get one now

built (almost) stock they fly nicely on an F12-5 (I incorporated a baffle into the tube coupler).

Mine is a bit modified (basswood fins, anti-zipper, 29mm) but I fly mine on 24mm F-39's Sweeeet!

Im still partial to the White Lightening motors though, makes for a majestic launch....lots of fire and smoke, too!

Great kit, I'm sure you'll love it!

Be careful with it. My son claims that his stock Executioner got into my range box and ate all my F101's and G55's. The only evidence was a scorched mmt that got replaced with a foil-lined tube from BMS.
-Braz

Have yet to fly mine but +1 for the badly warped fins. Cut new ones out of basswood.

I just got back from launching mine on a 29mm F-40W. That thing rocked to 1349ft. Then it landed in the road and cracked a fin :(

I would have launched it with my 24-40 case, but I lost it on my last F-39 launch...

Gave me a great excuse to try my 29-40/120 case (for the 1st time)

I'm anxious to try my Cesaroni Pro29 3G case in it, too!

do yourself a favor and buy a F32-8T SU motor. It might come in handy.:wink:

My favorite Estes/Quest kit. It has through-the-wall fins and will get you addicted to "large caliber" rocketry, because you get great flights that stay within view.

Optional advice:

1. Make a baffle by going to the drug store and buying one of those gold-colored wire mesh scrubbing pads. Loosen it up so that it is more "air gappy", and then put enough in to make a baffle about 1.5" deep. Glue in a ring (cardboard or balsa) to keep it in.

2. Upgrade the parachute to nylon.

3. Use a stronger shock cord, one of the black stretchy fabric-y ones, and make it l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g-g-g.

4. Put a Jolly Logic altimeter in it (wink, wink).

Good flying,
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

Also, check out Aerotech's E30T engine for it. Awesome.

I second the E30. I've flown my stock Estes Phoenix on an E30 and it flies very well with it.

I think the Executioner is a good kit and a good size. It is big enough to be a substantial rocket, but small enough to launch on a D12. I think the D12 is a great bang for the buck. They are relatively cheap for their level of performance, and they are easy to find. Sure the E30 will really make it go but sometimes it is too much altitude depending on your field size and how much wind you have. Plus the E30 is harder to find and much more expensive.

BTW, I found an Executioner kit in my closet, I don't remember when I bought it but it was probably about 10 years ago. It is next on my build list.

Back