Still smoke free.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nasty and expensive addiction, been puffin for 42 years now, could've bought a house for what I've spent in smokes. I've tried to quit too many times over the years, went six months once and I did feel better but I never lost the craving. The last time I tried to quit I talked my wife into quiting with me, she made it about 6 hours before turning into Linda Blair, seriously, it was scary. We were both smoking before the day was over.

The days of smoking in the USA are numbered. I used to walk through the grocery store while smoking, I've smoked on airplanes, in court houses and in shopping malls. Those days are long gone, never to return, can't even smoke in bars in most cities. Smokers are piriah now a days,hated untouchables. People are getting the message. I'll probably go to my grave a smoker but hopefully there won't be a replacement smoker when I do.

Way to go Dog and Hornet and all of you who were able to break the addiction. Buy yourselves something nice with the money you're saving.

I managed to have stayed away from the bottle for over 2 years now, and with help form some friends of Bill W. ;) But Nov. of 2011, after 20 years, I started smoking again! :( I've been working on trying to quit, went to classes at the V.A. hospital, and they gave me the nicotine gum. I've got it down to about 2-5 cigs per day, but just can't seem to break free of it. Guess I don't want it bad enough yet like I wanted to quit drinking. I'll be working on it!
Good job Dog! You're someone I can look as trying to emulate, at least to quit smoking and stay away from cpt. jack! :)
Thanks for the posting guys!
Anytime you want to talk about either of those addictions,feel free to PM me, Ill even give ya my phone #. Just so ya know tho...Im not really one to talk alot on the phone.
But I do make a good listener.
That goes for anyone else here on TRF.
Congrats on the 2 years away from the Jack. :clap:

I have not touched one in 30 years. I do like to puff on a cigar now and then but I don't inhale the smoke not saying its ok ether. Hang in there you will make it.

I was just about ready to take a break from the TV and PC and go out on the porch and have a smoke.
Then I remembered ,"I QUIT"
Yup,the "Dog" is still [5 weeks] smoke free. :clap:
Good for you! Keep it up!

FWIW, I celebrated 10 years nicotine free back in August. Yet it hasn't been that long ago, maybe a year, that I was in the garage working on a project and came to a resting point to ponder my next step and found myself reaching in my pocket for a smoke. I chuckled when I realized what had happened, but felt proud, too, that I was still cigarette free.

Doug

It's a nasty and expensive addiction, been puffin for 42 years now, could've bought a house for what I've spent in smokes. I've tried to quit too many times over the years, went six months once and I did feel better but I never lost the craving. The last time I tried to quit I talked my wife into quiting with me, she made it about 6 hours before turning into Linda Blair, seriously, it was scary. We were both smoking before the day was over.

The days of smoking in the USA are numbered. I used to walk through the grocery store while smoking, I've smoked on airplanes, in court houses and in shopping malls. Those days are long gone, never to return, can't even smoke in bars in most cities. Smokers are piriah now a days,hated untouchables. People are getting the message. I'll probably go to my grave a smoker but hopefully there won't be a replacement smoker when I do.

Way to go Dog and Hornet and all of you who were able to break the addiction. Buy yourselves something nice with the money you're saving.
Pretty much the same situation. I quit for a month and a half, but a sailboat, sailors and a bottle of rum put an end to that. If I give up smoking, I'll have to give up drinking as well. And right now—that ain't happening.

Pretty much the same situation. I quit for a month and a half, but a sailboat, sailors and a bottle of rum put an end to that. If I give up smoking, I'll have to give up drinking as well. And right now—that ain't happening.
The fact that I dont drink definitely helps/makes it easer to quit the cigs.
Theres no way I could do it if I was drinking.
And just so ya all know,I have nothing against drinking.Its just not something I choice to do.
I dont preach it or down anyone that does drink.
With me,it was the "Three-Outs"
Once I started drinking ,I would stop only when
1=The money ran out
2=The booze ran out
3= I passed out.
I could not, for the life of me, have just one drink.

I my last tobacco product was 1/22/2005. i consider the 23rd my first day of quitting
1. i reprogramed my brain to remember how grose it is... For the first year i would get physicly ill by the smell of it.
2. it took me 8 months to quit....i kept slipping up... wasnt until i realized that if i slipped up not to get concerned with it and resume my :quitting"

3. the dreams where i smoke and wake up .... PISS ME OFF!! because i have been smoke free since before my oldest was born. working on my 9 years.

there are still cravings, though not my usual triggers like girls or drinking.... ususaly when i see someone ash from a sunroof, or in a movie... the smell ruins it.

Good luck! It is a great thing to quit and a tough one. just remember you are an addict. Light up just once and you will be a smoker again. How do I know, I am an addict myself. Quit 17 years ago yesterday! I know all it would take is to light one up and I would be back at it.

Dennis

Every time I have that occasional smoke, I hack and cough up flem for a week.

Smoking and drinking went together for me for a long long time. Both coffee and booze are triggers. It took a long time but I'm semi used to it now. Oddly enough I can drink beer all day and not want a smoke. Coffee really pulls at me though.

When I first seriously started trying to quit, I bought a Harley and said "that comes out of the smoking money". It worked well at stoping those "i'll only buy one pack" moments.

Last edited:
I bought a Harley and said "that comes out of the smoking money".
That would work for sure.
Ive been threatening to buy another bike for some time now.
I do have a MINT 1991 Honda NightHawk 750 with only about 12000 miles on it.(it had 5,550 on it when I bought it)
A deal I could not refuse. Bro in law had it. He wanted $1,500 for it.
I didnt have a bike at the time and figured this would get me riding again for some cheap coin.
The bike looks like it just came off the show room floor.(well, it does have a rip in the seat)
Not sure if Ild go with a Harley.
I kinda would like to get a Triumph.
I figure Ive been shelling out around $3000 a year on cigs.
That ($3000) sure would help pay for a new bike.

:cheers:

The less you smoke now, the more rockets you can launch in your retirement.

I'm sure it's not the best bike out there. Certainly not the fastest or best value. But I've always been drawn to them, and I love riding it. I just went into a dealership, sat on it, looked up at the dealer and said "yea...i'll take this one". Couple hundred a month was right about my smoking budget.

7483400668_d345773bc5_b.jpg

Good for you! hang in there it is not an easy road, I remember when my mom quit it wasn't easy for her but everyone in the house's health improved dramatically.

Oh wow, I quit too! Im a truck driver so it was super hard for me. I went out every day equipped with m&ms, sunflower seeds, gum, fruits, & chips to keep me occupied. Its been about a month and a half. Another thing that doesnt really have to do with smoking is my drinking. I dont know if Im just getting older or what, but lately I have really been bored with drinking. Friday night when I get off work I would start drinking. Same on saturday night, then recover on Sunday. And just like that, boom, weekends over. 2 weekends ago, I decided I wasnt drinking that weekend and that I was tired of my weekends going by to fast, It was a real nice change. I can see myself quitting in the near future. I had some drinks this past weekend and it just reminded me how fast my weekends are over.

Thought I would just say that I am very proud of those of you who quit--truly inspirational stories. My Mom smoked for five decades, and my Dad on & off for many years. Despite thinking it was disgusting, I tried it after graduating from college and found that I kind of liked it...to much, really. So, quit while I could, relapsed a couple times, but been free for 18+ years. No interest now, thank goodness.

Keep it up you quiters!

Smoke a pack of cloves over a few hours. You won't smoke again for a long while.

For me quitting was both financial and health.

I was smoking at least a pack a day when I gave up. Smokes in Australia run at between $15 - $17 for a pack of 25.... Do the math - that's a lot of rockets!!

At the same time I was just feeling sicker and sicker. Lack of energy, lack of breath. I know the health issues are going to take a long time to fix, but the financial benefits are immediate!

There are days where I'm in line at the 7/11 or other places that sell tobacco and I can feel myself craving a smoke. It's hard and I can fully understand how and why people have relapses.

One day at a time :)

Krusty

Good job! Keep it up!

I quit with my then-wife in 2007 and am very happy about it. By the time I quit, I was smoking 30 cigarettes a day, and it was really getting to me. Unlike a lot of other ex-smokers, I'm OK with people smoking next to me. In fat, I came to notice that I enjoy the occasional second-hand smoke. It reminds me of my childhood, sitting next to my dad on the balcony, his cigarette in his teeth... Happy memories.

Ari.

They say that memories associated with smells are the most vivid.

When I smell honeysuckle, I am four years old again playing in my grandmother's backyard.

I'm sure it's not the best bike out there. Certainly not the fastest or best value. But I've always been drawn to them, and I love riding it. I just went into a dealership, sat on it, looked up at the dealer and said "yea...i'll take this one". Couple hundred a month was right about my smoking budget.

HA! Good on ya!
It was with the money I had leftover from not buying booze that let me afford my first new Ducati, a 2011 Monster 696. Since then I was able to trade it last August for my 2012 Multistrada 1200. I imagine that it too would be more affordable without cigaretes, which would leave about an extra $144.00 bucks a month to play with. My wife-screen name Mrs. Bunny is the pack-a-day + smoker and her trying quit, as mentioned earlier in this thread turned her into an evil Linda Blair. I also tend to smoke more when shes's around. UGHH! I hate that, but as I wrote earlier, I'll just have to try harder. and other techniques.
This thread is really getting me motivated more to quit, and again, I thank everyone for their posts!
Eric:)

Spending 15 years watching my mother die a little more each day from emphysema after smoking her entire life was enough to keep me from starting. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke to this day, find it nauseating.

How about that,now its six weeks.Time waits for no one.
Anywhoo--Thanks again for all the support.
My support to others.
I wasnt sure on how this thread would go.
Im wicked cool happy happy about the whole thing.
Best part is that it has brought inspiration to others.
And I will add, the replies have brought inspiration to me-self to stay smoke free.

Back