BBQ Pit Smoked, Low and Slow Roasted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
It seems like most of the country right now is getting smoked out from Canadian wildfires or slow roasted from excess heat. The upper Midwest and the East has been developing a delicious smoke ring and a nice bark, while the South has been slow roasting and basting in its own juices. Hopefully everyone applied a good rub beforehand and has a mop sauce ready to go!

I’m in California where we’ve been enjoying the thick smoke and debilitating heat for years now, and we’ll be heading into the triple digits by the end of the week. So I’d like to welcome everyone to the BBQ pit, and I hope y’all enjoy it as much as we have!

Best of luck, everyone! Have a nice cookout. And remember to stay hydrated!

https://wapo.st/3Jy8oDu

Never miss out on a good reason to look like your favorite Mortal Kombat character. That's what I always say. Sanding dust, viruses, and combustion particulates are no match for a state-of-the-art facial defence system.

mk-char-2.jpg

How is everyone doing so far? Fat rendering and collagen breaking down nicely?

The week I posted the thread, it got up into the high nineties and low hundred, AndI had a bunch of yard work and irrigation system repair to do out in the heat, so that was not fun. Then I was down in SoCal for a few days around the 4th, and it got pretty hot, but we had access to a pool, and it was fine. I’m back home now, and we’ve had some unusually cool days, but it’s heading back up later in the week. Luckily, we’ve had no fires sending us smoke around here.

How about everyone else? It looks like if you really want to get roasted, Texas is your best bet today.

The week I posted the thread, it got up into the high nineties and low hundred

That's standard summer here, it's been like that throughout my lifetime. But we have to make our own smoke, yard fires or grilling.

This afternoon is mowing and trash burning as long as the rain holds off. Sadly, no BBQ- that sure sounds good.

That's standard summer here, it's been like that throughout my lifetime. But we have to make our own smoke, yard fires or grilling.

This afternoon is mowing and trash burning as long as the rain holds off. Sadly, no BBQ- that sure sounds good.

Yeah, it’s typical here too. We are actually enjoying a milder than usual summer here for some reason.

Which is mighty interesting as July 2022 (last year) was ALSO the hottest July in the recorded history of mankind.
So, prediction time is that July 2024 will *ALSO* be the hottest month on record, and so forth. Tiem to start moving North.
Invest in land in Nebraska or Montana -- that's where they will start building retirement communities. I predict Phoenix AZ is no longer the go-to spot.

Actually the article said that this July will break the previous record set in July 2019.
There is one community in China where the temperature reached 125 deg. F.
Holy Moly!

Which is mighty interesting as July 2022 (last year) was ALSO the hottest July in the recorded history of mankind.
So, prediction time is that July 2024 will *ALSO* be the hottest month on record, and so forth. Tiem to start moving North.
Invest in land in Nebraska or Montana -- that's where they will start building retirement communities. I predict Phoenix AZ is no longer the go-to spot.

It’s just going to get hotter and hotter. Maybe after the ice melts, we can all move to the newly ice-free Antarctica or Greenland.

Actually the article said that this July will break the previous record set in July 2019.
There is one community in China where the temperature reached 125 deg. F.
Holy Moly!
We have always had temps in the 115 area. Not this year. We never went above 109. I live in the West Mojave, heat is no big deal to me. Besides, I have a local area with a waiver to 400,000' agl.

It's all about government control and the lies they use. I, will ignore all of it.
And yet you are responding to this thread.
I live in the West Mojave, heat is no big deal to me.
Isn't modern AC wonderful?

It cracks me up when the deniers say that this is part of a natural geologic cycle, and that the earth has been much hotter than before. What they fail to mention is that those periods (the Hadean, the late Neoproterozoic, the Cretaceous Hot Greenhouse, the PETM) all happened before the existence of humans.
How much of a global temperature rise can this species tolerate before our very survival is threatened? Don't want to find out.

News about September:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/10/03/september-global-temperature-record-climate/
This on the heels of the hottest July and August on record.
But nah, don't listen to the scientists. Believe the deniers because they're smarter. Or at least they think they are.

What they fail to mention is that those periods (the Hadean, the late Neoproterozoic, the Cretaceous Hot Greenhouse, the PETM) all happened before the existence of humans.
How much of a global temperature rise can this species tolerate before our very survival is threatened? Don't want to find out.
That's not the issue. Earth has been hotter. In fact, a very long time ago, the ENTIRE SURFACE was molten lava. And some people are very comfortable with returning to those days. It's like I once said --- oil *is* a renewable resource...... if you're willing to wait the 85 million years or so for it to reform.

Since they started recording 83 years ago. History proves its been much hotter before. Remember why the environmentalists stopped calling it "global warming"?
It's all about government control and the lies they use. I, will ignore all of it.

Environmentalists didn’t stop calling it “global warming”. That was Frank Luntz, political communications consultant who developed talking points for George W Bush. He told W that the term “climate change” would sound less threatening than “global warming”, and that’s the term he should use when talking about it. That’s when it became popularized.

The fact is, both terms have been used all along and both are still used today because they refer to two distinct things that are closely related. Global Warming refers to greenhouses gasses trapping more heat, and the global temperature going up. Climate Change refers to what happens to the weather long term as Global Warming increases. In other words, Global Warming causes Climate Change. Global Warming is a proven fact at this point and is proceeding exactly as predicted over 30 years ago. Climate Change is less predictable exactly how it will unfold, but it’s pretty clear we are having strange weather anomalies attributable to Global Warming.

It cracks me up when the deniers say that this is part of a natural geologic cycle, and that the earth has been much hotter than before. What they fail to mention is that those periods (the Hadean, the late Neoproterozoic, the Cretaceous Hot Greenhouse, the PETM) all happened before the existence of humans.

News about September:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/10/03/september-global-temperature-record-climate/
But nah, don't listen to the scientists. Believe the deniers because they're smarter. Or at least they think they are.

News about September:
Im not sure you understand that this board is NOT the government, do you? Or did you not comprehend my statement?
And no, I don't trust the scientists who work for the IPCC or any environmental groups. I was in the hierarchy of the Wilderness Society and that was a very eye opening experience. Turned me off to " the movement" because I realized their all about the dollars and control. Remember the East Anglia emails? Explain why I should trust them please? Hockey stick graph explain please? I could go on and on....
Dr. S Fred Singer is much more trustworthy than say....Michael Mann. You will believe who you want to believe. And it appears that your inferring that I am a "denier". Not true. I absolutely believe our planets climate is changing, but there's nothing we can do to change the trajectory. Do you think China cares? How about India or Russia or Africa?
Billions of people don't care. What, exactly is YOUR solution?

Environmentalists didn’t stop calling it “global warming”. That was Frank Luntz, political communications consultant who developed talking points for George W Bush. He told W that the term “climate change” would sound less threatening than “global warming”, and that’s the term he should use when talking about it. That’s when it became popularized.

The fact is, both terms have been used all along and both are still used today because they refer to two distinct things that are closely related. Global Warming refers to greenhouses gasses trapping more heat, and the global temperature going up. Climate Change refers to what happens to the weather long term as Global Warming increases. In other words, Global Warming causes Climate Change. Global Warming is a proven fact at this point and is proceeding exactly as predicted over 30 years ago. Climate Change is less predictable exactly how it will unfold, but it’s pretty clear we are having strange weather anomalies attributable to Global Warming.
What is your solution, considering the fact that billions of people don't care about climate change?

What is your solution, considering the fact that billions of people don't care about climate change?

There aren’t billions of people in America, and this is really the only place a lot of people don’t care. And the main reason for that is American politicization of a scientific fact.

So the real question is, what are we going to do about an issue that billions of people worldwide care about, but American politics makes it difficult to do much about?

And the answer is, we are going to scramble at the very last minute, which is what we’re are starting to do right now, and we are going to suffer the consequences of the damage already done, which is also what we are starting to do right now.

Actually, the majority of the globe feels that climate change is real and wide ranging action is called for.
https://www.undp.org/press-releases...ange-majority-people-call-wide-ranging-action
And no, I don't trust the scientists who work for the IPCC or any environmental groups. I was in the hierarchy of the Wilderness Society and that was a very eye opening experience.
So based on your one time experience you don't trust all scientists and environmental groups?
And you don't trust the government because of systemic lying?
You have any proof or evidence of this?
Yeah, I believe there have been instances of government officials lying.
But I don't believe it is systemic.
Show me otherwise.

There aren’t billions of people in America, and this is really the only place a lot of people don’t care. And the main reason for that is American politicization of a scientific fact.

So the real question is, what are we going to do about an issue that billions of people worldwide care about, but American politics makes it difficult to do much about?

And the answer is, we are going to scramble at the very last minute, which is what we’re are starting to do right now, and we are going to suffer the consequences of the damage already done, which is also what we are starting to do right now.
I never said there were billions of people in America did i? You obviously don't travel outside of the US. If so many in other countries cared, why aren't they doing anything about it? You also avoided answering my questions, why is that?
What is your solution?
And no, I don't care to do anything about it because it won't make a difference. I just got back from Taiwan...they don't care. China doesn't care, etc...that's the truth, you just don't want to admit it. Let's not forget your contributions to climate change, since you care so much! Lmao...

Actually, the majority of the globe feels that climate change is real and wide ranging action is called for.
https://www.undp.org/press-releases...ange-majority-people-call-wide-ranging-action

So based on your one time experience you don't trust all scientists and environmental groups?
And you don't trust the government because of systemic lying?
You have any proof or evidence of this?
Yeah, I believe there have been instances of government officials lying.
But I don't believe it is systemic.
Show me otherwise.
A quote from the UN pushers is quaint! But not true. Sure, people around the world see the climate changing but their still not doing anything about it. Billions aren't. Have you listened to Indias priminister? How about Xi Jinping? You should because they don't care.. A one time experience, really? Why do you always try to attribute statements that were never said? Makes you look ....
No, I don't trust the government because they lie every day. Ever listen to KJP? Then you say that yes, there have been instances were the government lies! How ironic! You still haven't said what your solution is?
What is it?

I never said there were billions of people in America did i? You obviously don't travel outside of the US. If so many in other countries cared, why aren't they doing anything about it? You also avoided answering my questions, why is that?
What is your solution?
And no, I don't care to do anything about it because it won't make a difference. I just got back from Taiwan...they don't care. China doesn't care, etc...that's the truth, you just don't want to admit it. Let's not forget your contributions to climate change, since you care so much! Lmao...

This thread is really about hot, smoky weather, not about solving climate change or arguing about whether people believe in it or not or what countries are doing something about it and which aren’t. You should start a thread on that. We got sidetracked for a bit there, and I went along with it, but this is going to go nowhere. Let’s get back on topic.

I started this thread in June when a lot of the southern part of the country was being cooked under the “heat dome”, and parts of the north and east were going “smokehouse nuts” from Canadian wildfires.

Since then, June was recorded as the hottest June ever.
July was hotter than any month ever in the global temperature record.
This August was the hottest August ever.
September was the hottest September.

It’s been hot! Of course, just because the global everage temperature is hotter than normal, it doesn’t mean any particular location is unusually hot. And that was true where I live. This has been one of the most pleasant mild summers I can remember in the last 20 years. We had some hot days, but not the long, intolerable heat waves.

And the smoke where I live was not bad either! To me, the smoke and fires have been the most depressing development here in recent years. We’ve always been fire-prone here in California, but it has gotten dramatically worse over the years to the point where I always have some dread as we head into fire season. But thankfully, this year broke the trend in my area. We had a couple days of unhealthy air, but that’s it. Not bad. The worst smoke I experienced this year was on a trip to northern Washington in August. We were choking on smoke from fires in BC and eastern Washington for most of our visit.

So my summer was unusual for being less hot and smoky than usual for recent years. That was a welcome surprise. How about everyone else?

If so many in other countries cared, why aren't they doing anything about it?
Wrong.
There are 194 countries plus the EU that are signatories to the Paris Agreement.
Practically every country on earth.
And they are taking steps to curtail greenhouse gas emissions.
Some even faster than the US.
Have you listened to Indias priminister? How about Xi Jinping? You should because they don't care.
Wrong again.
Modi has pledged that India will be net zero by 2070.
Pres. Xi has stated “China will strive to peak carbon dioxide emissions before 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality before 2060,”
A one time experience, really? Why do you always try to attribute statements that were never said?
From your own post:
And no, I don't trust the scientists who work for the IPCC or any environmental groups. I was in the hierarchy of the Wilderness Society and that was a very eye opening experience. Turned me off to " the movement" because I realized their all about the dollars and control.
Let's not forget your contributions to climate change, since you care so much! Lmao...
Wrong again.
As I recall Thirsty has a solar rooftop system.
Quite a significant contribution I would say.
LMAO.

(Sorry Thirsty, couldn't stand by when BS was smelling up the thread.)
Back on topic:
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3282/nasa-announces-summer-2023-hottest-on-record/

I started this thread in June when a lot of the southern part of the country was being cooked under the “heat dome”, and parts of the north and east were going “smokehouse nuts” from Canadian wildfires.

Since then, June was recorded as the hottest June ever.
July was hotter than any month ever in the global temperature record.
This August was the hottest August ever.
September was the hottest September.

It’s been hot! Of course, just because the global everage temperature is hotter than normal, it doesn’t mean any particular location is unusually hot. And that was true where I live. This has been one of the most pleasant mild summers I can remember in the last 20 years. We had some hot days, but not the long, intolerable heat waves.

And the smoke where I live was not bad either! To me, the smoke and fires have been the most depressing development here in recent years. We’ve always been fire-prone here in California, but it has gotten dramatically worse over the years to the point where I always have some dread as we head into fire season. But thankfully, this year broke the trend in my area. We had a couple days of unhealthy air, but that’s it. Not bad. The worst smoke I experienced this year was on a trip to northern Washington in August. We were choking on smoke from fires in BC and eastern Washington for most of our visit.

So my summer was unusual for being less hot and smoky than usual for recent years. That was a welcome surprise. How about everyone else?
And I was looking for a good brisket recipe......

Back