Speed of light broken

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will be criticized the rest of their careers that they really didn't break the light barrier.

Jeez what's next cold fusion... :rotflol:

There's going to be 100 Drs. lining up to prove them wrong, I don't worry much about that... I have kids to play with and rockets to build.... :)

I doubt they broke it. An object just can't get infinately massive or have infinate energy, if it could...ALL physics laws would be changed, including the conservation of energy law.

If an object goes the speed of light, theoreticaly, time would stop entirely. If you went faster, you would go back in time. Although, change in time has been proven by NASA. They synchronized 2 atomic clocks, one on earth and the other in a shuttle. When the shuttle returned from orbiting earth, the one on the space ship was slower than the one on earth.

I just don't see how its possible to go that fast.

They are talking about quantum tunnelling. Things can be very different at the sub-atomic level. More interesting is that the distance of the tunnelling effect can be extended to 3 feet. Jury is out until the experimental result is independently duplicated/verified. The article itself is somewhat misleading by implying some sort of time discontinuity possibility, since the effect has not been extended beyond the sub-atomic level.

Well if they did in fact break the speed barrier I wonder which would be stronger, epoxy or wood glue? You know, in case they want to fix it.

Well if they did in fact break the speed barrier I wonder which would be stronger, epoxy or wood glue? You know, in case they want to fix it.
:rotflol::rotflol::rotflol: that was good....

I doubt they broke it. An object just can't get infinately massive or have infinate energy, if it could...ALL physics laws would be changed, including the conservation of energy law.

If an object goes the speed of light, theoreticaly, time would stop entirely. If you went faster, you would go back in time. Although, change in time has been proven by NASA. They synchronized 2 atomic clocks, one on earth and the other in a shuttle. When the shuttle returned from orbiting earth, the one on the space ship was slower than the one on earth.

I just don't see how its possible to go that fast.
(emphasis added)

I think we worked out in physics class that time would actually move along the imaginary axis. (Remember imaginary numbers, like i, the square root of -1?) Makes my brain feel fluffy just thinking about it. Anyway, the formulas for special relativity have time-squared in them, and it's the squared term that would go negative; therefore time has to be (something) times i.

Have fun coming up with a physical meaning for imaginary time. ;) Something like the time between payday and when the money in the bank account runs out again....

Now you have hit a brain buster :mad::).

Heres the question...how would there be imaginary space time? Do you mean that on Earth, you would see (if you could) a space ship standing still in time, but the people on the space ship see Earth standing still in time?

You're in a space ship, traveling along at 1/10th the speed of light. You turn on a flashlight. The photons being emitted from the flashlight are now traveling at 1.1x the speed of light (based on an observer on the ground...all things being relative) The person in the space ship sees the light traveling a 1x the speed of light. The person traveling at 0.9x the speed of light would see it moving at 0.2x the speed of light.

Tada!! I broke the speed of light.

-Aaron (nothing can go faster than the speed of light....you just have to figure out what it is relative to)

Along the same lines a friend posed a question to me about relativity and I blanked:

Let's say you travel from earth to point A which is 1 light year distant and you do so in some strange craft that goes from 0 to .999999999 light speed instantly without killing you or anyone else. You get there in just over 1 year and instantly turn on a dime and return taking just over 2 years subjective time. The observers on earth think you have been gone for many many many many times that long. Meanwhile light left the point where you were going and arrived on Earth each year taking only 1 year to get between the points. Light from you as you arrive at the place travels back to earth and gets there years before you do EVEN THOUGH IT TRAVELS ONLY A TINY FRACTION OF LIGHT SPEED FASTER... what gives?

I couldn't grok the answer. I thought I understood this stuff - where's my copy of Music of the Spheres or Schrodinger's Cat... dang. I gotta go do some re-reading...
:stupido:

You're in a space ship, traveling along at 1/10th the speed of light. You turn on a flashlight. The photons being emitted from the flashlight are now traveling at 1.1x the speed of light (based on an observer on the ground...all things being relative) The person in the space ship sees the light traveling a 1x the speed of light. The person traveling at 0.9x the speed of light would see it moving at 0.2x the speed of light.

-Aaron (nothing can go faster than the speed of light....you just have to figure out what it is relative to)

Sorry but no. That's not what I recall. Maybe I'm wrong (see previous reply) but I recall that you cannot add or subtract speed from light. That's one of the proofs that Einstein tried to get a Thesis done with and was rejected (Zurich Polytechnic) because it had already been proven that this didn't work. This incidentally was how he started to realize that the "aether" concept that was popular was wrong.

Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light section on "Constant Velocity".

Michaelson - Morley was the experiment that Einstein was inadvertently trying to use to prove Aether existed - not realizing it was already disproven by their experiement.

The speed of light is ALWAYS constant. If you shine a flashlight on a spaceship, it goes 186,000 miles per second at any point of view. That one made me so confused when I first learned about Relativity.

Along the same lines a friend posed a question to me about relativity and I blanked:

Let's say you travel from earth to point A which is 1 light year distant and you do so in some strange craft that goes from 0 to .999999999 light speed instantly without killing you or anyone else. You get there in just over 1 year and instantly turn on a dime and return taking just over 2 years subjective time. The observers on earth think you have been gone for many many many many times that long. Meanwhile light left the point where you were going and arrived on Earth each year taking only 1 year to get between the points. Light from you as you arrive at the place travels back to earth and gets there years before you do EVEN THOUGH IT TRAVELS ONLY A TINY FRACTION OF LIGHT SPEED FASTER... what gives?

I couldn't grok the answer. I thought I understood this stuff - where's my copy of Music of the Spheres or Schrodinger's Cat... dang. I gotta go do some re-reading...
:stupido:

This is because as you get closer to light speed time slows and then finaly stops at light speed. So if you travel at that speed for a period of time, you age VERY SLOW. But on Earth, you age like normal.

Its relative, if you are traveling the speed of light in a space ship, the flashlight will still turn on and appear to hit the wall as if you were on Earth. But the same flashlight viewed from a standstill will be traveling the same speed as what the person in the space ship sees.

I know its wierd, I don't really understand HOW, real well.

Now that I remember, Fermi Lab recently discovered a sub atomic particle that is believed to be what "makes" mass. Stated in an article, if they can remove some of these sub atomic particles, you will have an anti gravity. According some futurists, this could be a way to control the "infinite mass" problem with the speed of light. They believe that that means we are just 1 step closer to going the speed of light.

As cool as it sounds, I don't think it will solve the speed of light problem, but I do think anti gravity would be VERY beneficial and VERY COOL!

(emphasis added)
Have fun coming up with a physical meaning for imaginary time. ;) Something like the time between payday and when the money in the bank account runs out again....

Nothing imaginary there...

...my empirical testing has proven
that to be 3.25 nanoseconds at sea level...
:cry:

This stuff makes my head hurt. For those of you who haven't been "blessed" with any studies in Einsteinian or Non-Newtonian physics, lets just say that it runs contrary to experience. In Newtonian (or "normal") physics you would have a problem like this:

a) Two trains are headed toward one another each travelling at 60 miles per hour what is the rate of closure between them, or how fast do they appear to be getting closer? To which all of us whould probably say 120 miles per hour and we'd be right.

In Einsteinian physics this problem would look like this...

b) Two rockets are headed toward each other each travelling at 9/10 the spped of light. What is the rate of closure between them? Your gut says 1.8times the speed of light, but the real answer is 1.0 times the speed of light.

Strange but true.

Gotta go now, my head hurts...

N

What I want to know is how that would appear.

You see 2 near speed of light space ships coming at each other, but the space in between them isn't closing respective to their combined speed.

This stuff makes my head hurt. For those of you who haven't been "blessed" with any studies in Einsteinian or Non-Newtonian physics, lets just say that it runs contrary to experience. In Newtonian (or "normal") physics you would have a problem like this:

a) Two trains are headed toward one another each travelling at 60 miles per hour what is the rate of closure between them, or how fast do they appear to be getting closer? To which all of us whould probably say 120 miles per hour and we'd be right.

In Einsteinian physics this problem would look like this...

b) Two rockets are headed toward each other each travelling at 9/10 the spped of light. What is the rate of closure between them? Your gut says 1.8times the speed of light, but the real answer is 1.0 times the speed of light.

Strange but true.

Gotta go now, my head hurts...

N

Per WIKI it is actually .95 C for two objects at .9C headed towards one another.

This is because as you get closer to light speed time slows and then finaly stops at light speed. So if you travel at that speed for a period of time, you age VERY SLOW. But on Earth, you age like normal.

OK. Now take that thought to a logical conclusion. If the light leaving the point that you are traveling from gets from B to Earth in one year subjective to the person on Earth viewing it... Why don't you?

In other words... since time slowed down for you and it only took one year of time in your subjective timeframe - BUT it took many times that to an observer on Earth - did you really go the speed you think or did you not? And if you didn't, then what about the claims that light does?

Well, here is a question for you.

If i had a spaceship that could fly at the speed of light, how long would it take to get its occupants comfortably and safely to Mars. Assume 35 million miles as distance from earth to Mars.

1. How long would the flight take?

2. How much time would pass for its occupants on board?

OK. Now take that thought to a logical conclusion. If the light leaving the point that you are traveling from gets from B to Earth in one year subjective to the person on Earth viewing it... Why don't you?

In other words... since time slowed down for you and it only took one year of time in your subjective timeframe - BUT it took many times that to an observer on Earth - did you really go the speed you think or did you not? And if you didn't, then what about the claims that light does?

Your close, but your a bit confused about where the time dilation happens.

If you are lobbed at a star 10 ly away at .999C or so, you will arrive in 10 years, our time. But to you you've only been traveling for a few days, hours, or even minutes depending on just how close to light speed you got.

At close enough values to c, you could cross the galaxy in seconds - from your point of view. Of course, by the time you got where you were going, even though it seemed like such a short time to you - everything will have changed. The star you were heading too might halfway around the galaxy when you get where it was. If you travel far enough the star might be even be dead when you get there.

If you missed this effect, look closer at common examples, like the clock on a spaceship one.

If we could point a telescope at a giant clock stuck on a spaceship traveling at near c, the clock would appear to be almost stopped. The second hand could take years to complete a revolution. Time passes slowly for the ship, from our frame of reference.

Of course, this is all from our frame of reference. Part of relativity is that all frames are equally valid. There is nothing wrong with the person on the ship saying the universe sped up around him, either. In both cases, 10 years will have passed 'outside' the ship, even if only seconds passed inside.

Your close, but your a bit confused about where the time dilation happens.

If you are lobbed at a star 10 ly away at .999C or so, you will arrive in 10 years, our time. But to you you've only been traveling for a few days, hours, or even minutes depending on just how close to light speed you got.

At close enough values to c, you could cross the galaxy in seconds - from your point of view.

Good point - at too close to C the time crawls.

Here's more info that seems to help... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

Well, here is a question for you.

If i had a spaceship that could fly at the speed of light, how long would it take to get its occupants comfortably and safely to Mars. Assume 35 million miles as distance from earth to Mars.

1. How long would the flight take?

2. How much time would pass for its occupants on board?

If a ship accelerated to exactly the speed of light, physics breaks.

The math says time on the ship would stop. The ship would travel instantaneously - able to occupy every point in the universe at once. This can't happen, of course, so don't even try to imagine it. Physics doesn't work anymore at that point. The equations break down. Singularities result. Bad Things happen.

For what happens at near 'c', see my previous post.

Opie & Anthony...of all people...discussed this & mentioned a point that caught my eye;

They made this huge announcemnt based on an experiment where the two prisms were THREE FRICKEN FEET APART!!!

:rotflol::rotflol:

Do ya THINK that there might be some challenging in measuring time & speed to the...what, 25th decimal point of a second or so?

Opie & Anthony...of all people...discussed this & mentioned a point that caught my eye;

They made this huge announcemnt based on an experiment where the two prisms were THREE FRICKEN FEET APART!!!

:rotflol::rotflol:

Do ya THINK that there might be some challenging in measuring time & speed to the...what, 25th decimal point of a second or so?

Not really. Measuring light travel time over that sort of distance isn't anything new.

Did some research, shortest time period ever measured is 100 attoseconds. For comparison, this is considerably shorter than the time it takes light to travel the width of a human hair.

Traveling three feet takes about three nanoseconds. An average modern desktop PC can add two integers in about .3 nanoseconds.

Back