SpaceX Falcon 9 Coming from Estes CONFIRMED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpaceX_Email_600x900-1.jpg

And guaranteed not to be cheap. What worries me is a 26" rocket that will fly on a C6-5. Seriously Estes? That sucker looks like it needs a D at least.

And guaranteed not to be cheap. What worries me is a 26" rocket that will fly on a C6-5. Seriously Estes? That sucker looks like it needs a D at least.
It's not designed to be flown.

It's a shelf queen that can fly, if you really want it to.

That doesn't give us much confidence. 🤔
I'm not trying to imply it's unsafe to fly. But just look at the thing: it's a scale-based rocket in packaging that's designed to be shrink wrapped.

Flight performance is a secondary or tertiary consideration.

Looks like the rocket they sell on their website. The clear plastif fins flutter badly; they probably wouldn't make it on a D
The fin unit for this model looks quite similar to the one Estes used on many kits in the 1980s and 1990s. Examples include the MX Missile, Bail-Out, Gemini Titan, Titan II Missile. It's a twist on/off four fin unit with an 18mm motor opening.

The diameter of the model (1.44") suggests that Estes created a new body tube (BT-57?) just for this kit. (Or at least I have never heard of a 1.44" dia body tube before.)

The diameter of the model (1.44") suggests that Estes created a new body tube (BT-57?) just for this kit. (Or at least I have never heard of a 1.44" dia body tube before.)
Well, if they wanted to make it exactly 1:100 scale then that is the size they needed, so maybe they did indeed create a new size for this. It wasn't even clear to me that RTF models like this have paper tubes... but otherwise I suppose it would be too heavy for a C motor.

When Estes finally announces the price ...... you may want to own one ...... but you may not want to fly it!

An RTF model. It will likely be similar in pricing to the Blue Origin model. But at least it doesn't look like a *****. I'm curious if it has clear plastic fins or if the landing gear unfold.
It has a clear plastic fin unit that attaches to the bottom. It is not similarly priced to any of the other Estes scale RTFs that are already available.

What worries me is a 26" rocket that will fly on a C6-5.
Reading comprehension. The image I posted clearly says C6-3 or C5-3.

Even if you missed that, why would you say 5 second delay and not presume a short delay?

Should fly OK on a C with a 3 second delay.

A 5.4 oz. 26" long plastic rocket.

So if it is designed to be a shelf-queen, how much for one without the parachute, motor mount, cardboard tube liner, and plastic fin unit?

Back