Source for Estes 2.5" PS II couplers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why that E18 is so noisy. At a small club launch, I had one in an Aerotech Cheetah (which is in the sweet spot size wise at 1.9"), and when I lit it, someone commented "That'll wake the neighbors." It seemed louder than a 29mm F52 that I launched later.

Hans.

White lightning is just loud. The F52 was either Classic or Blue Thunder, right? Neither of those are particularly loud.

Yeah, the F52 is Blue Thunder. It'll probably appear regularly in the "Generic" 2.5 rocket that I'll be making with my meager stash of 2.5" tubes and couplers.

Hans.

For some odd reason, I'm partial to the 24/40 E18 motor. Can't be too heavy, but I need the rocket big enough for a JLCR. The 2" PS II tubes are just perfect. I have enough goodies for 3 complete rockets. I need to call it quits at that and stop hording.

Hans.

Me as well. I've probably launched more E18s than any other motor (except for the Estes B6-x).

For some odd reason, I'm partial to the 24/40 E18 motor. Can't be too heavy, but I need the rocket big enough for a JLCR. The 2" PS II tubes are just perfect. I have enough goodies for 3 complete rockets. I need to call it quits at that and stop hording.

Hans.
Me too for sure! I've got enough parts for two more saharas, and one ventris and one partizon. If/when I buy a big daddy, another Leviathan. I have fin/ring sets coming for the last three. I've got enough now to build the two saharas, save for recovery items. I must be out of my mind.

Me too for sure! I've got enough parts for two more saharas, and one ventris and one partizon. If/when I buy a big daddy, another Leviathan. I have fin/ring sets coming for the last three. I've got enough now to build the two saharas, save for recovery items. I must be out of my mind.
I had to look up the various Estes model names you mention. I simply have them listed in OpenRocket as Generic 2", Generic 2.5", etc.

So, I have parts for a Sahara, 2 Partizons, 2 3" kinda-sorta Leviathans (in addition to one I'm painting right now), and 3 2" rockets, whatever those were called....

And I received a gift certificate to Rocketarium, ordered 3 kits there to throw on the pile of some 40 unbuilt kits.

Hans.

Edit: I wouldn't be hoarding all of this if I knew that the parts would continue to be available. All I really need is one of each, if even that. But then I'd have no way to replace them if lost or damaged.

I contacted Estes:
Greetings!

Do you have more

030615 - Pro Series II 2" OD Body Tube

that might become available on the web site, or is it discontinued and permanently not available?

Received this response:
At this time that is a discontinued item and there are not any current plans to make it available again as an individual item.

You can still get the slotted version, at least until that's gone.

I contacted Estes:

Received this response:

Crap.

At this point, I'm most interested in the 2" version. I'll have to start searching for alternatives. I'd like it to be just big enough to comfortably fit a JLCR, BT-60 is too small, BT-70 a little bigger than I'd like. Aerotech's 1.9" is nice, but I don't see a lot of support from other vendors for it.

Hans.

Crap.

At this point, I'm most interested in the 2" version. I'll have to start searching for alternatives. I'd like it to be just big enough to comfortably fit a JLCR, BT-60 is too small, BT-70 a little bigger than I'd like. Aerotech's 1.9" is nice, but I don't see a lot of support from other vendors for it.

Hans.
Well you could get two or three 2" slotted tubes (which still sho as available) and cut off (or fill) the slotted sections... web page shows 2" couplers still available at least.

Both BMS and Erockets sell both tubes and coupler stock for Aerotech 1.9". I'm not 100% sure LOC 1.9" is identical to Aerotech 1.9", but I think it is. If so, there are nose cones from both LOC and Aerotech. Simply from the tube supply, 1.9" is a lot more viable than Estes 2", and the nose cone supply is at least as good.

I didn't go down the 2" rabbit hole, but I did buy into BT-65 at exactly the wrong time and am trying to figure out how to fit the rocket I want to build into the tubes from the Olympus, since the longer tubes from Estes are no longer available. At least I did buy a decent supply of couplers while I could, but I regret going with BT-65 instead of 1.9".

I guess we’re just going to need to come to terms with Estes discontinuing the Pro series parts. With them removing these parts along with the lack luster offerings in the 2023 catalog, it looks like it might be time for me to part ways with them.

Estes got me started in rocketry 35+ years ago but they don’t have anything for me these days. I guess I finally out grew them.

For now LOC, Badboy and Apogee will be getting my money along with BMS for misc. parts.

I realize that the cost of the nose cones are just a small part of the total cost of a rocket but Estes nose cones cost so much less than other places.

Estes 2.5 5.49
Estes 2.0 4.29

LOC 2.56 18.12
LOC 1.9 16.85

Public Missile 2.1 17.07
Public Missile 2.56 20.28

Rocketarium 1.9 16.00
Rocketarium 2.1 17,07
Rocketarium 2.6 17.00

Lots more places to look I'm sure.

If I have to go away from Pro Series parts I think I will concentrate on BT-80 size rockets. The parts for that size seem pretty economical as long as you can stick with a Big Bertha or Executioner (BT-80K) style nose cone

-Bob

I realize that the cost of the nose cones are just a small part of the total cost of a rocket but Estes nose cones cost so much less than other places.

Estes 2.5 5.49
Estes 2.0 4.29

LOC 2.56 18.12
LOC 1.9 16.85

Public Missile 2.1 17.07

Rocketarium 1.9 16.00
Rocketarium 2.1 17,07
Rocketarium 2.6 17.00

If I have to go away from Pro Series parts I think I will concentrate on BT-80 size rockets. The parts for that size seem pretty economical as long as you can stick with a Big Bertha or Executioner (BT-80K) style nose cone

-Bob
Dont forget the PNC-80BB aka the Fatboy's nosecone.

Estes 2.5 5.49
Estes 2.0 4.29

LOC 2.56 18.12
LOC 1.9 16.85

Public Missile 2.1 17.07

Rocketarium 1.9 16.00
Rocketarium 2.1 17,07
Rocketarium 2.6 17.00

-Bob
And that's assuming the Executioner cone will continue to be available. It's not listed on the website, but findable by doing a part number search. Which suggests to me that it's days may be numbered.

Hans.

Rocketarium has their version of the BT-80K for 7 dollars. They say it's slightly heavier than the Estes version.

They also have the NC-80b for $4.60

I looked up the NC-80BB and only found a printed version that said it the same nose cone as used on the Super Big Bertha, Alien Space Probe, Broad Sword and the Fat Boy

We need a conical style like on the Black Brant III. You know, because I'd like to build one :)

-Bob

And that's assuming the Executioner cone will continue to be available. It's not listed on the website, but findable by doing a part number search. Which suggests to me that it's days may be numbered.

Hans.
I highly doubt BT80 nosecones are going anywhere anytime soon, they have been in Estes catalog for many many years (at least 35 that I know of).

Rocketarium has their version of the BT-80K for 7 dollars. They say it's slightly heavier than the Estes version.

I looked up the NC-80BB and only found a printed version that said it the same nose cone as used on the Super Big Bertha, Alien Space Probe, Broad Sword and the Fat Boy

We need a conical style like on the Black Brant III. You know, because I'd like to build one :)

-Bob
My mistake the NC-80B is correct.

-Bob
Slightly O.T., I'm trying to accumulate as much of the Black Brant series as I can. Not trying to match them for size, 18mm, 24mm, 29mm. It's all OK. Rocketarium has several, and I like that they all have baffles. Just received their BB IV. Have the Estes offerings, looking at the 2.2" LOC Brant X.

Why, why do I keep buying all this stuff?

Hans.

I contacted Estes:

Received this response:

As of right now, 2-inch slotted tubes and couplers and 2.5-inch tubes, slotted & unslotted, are orderable on the website. I reckon it would be easy enough to make a 2.5-inch coupler by splitting a BT-80 coupler and glassing the seam.

You can roll conical from card stock.
Well... Like I said. They are actually not in their catalog. You have to search to find them.

Err.. I'm talking about the Executioner cones.

Hans.
Estes only has two BT80 nosecones as best I remember, the PNC-80K aka the NC-80K, Executioner, MaxiAlpha3, Phoenix etc, and the PNC-80b for the Fatboy, Super Big Bertha, Mega Mosquito etc. I did find it interesting that using the websites search function is how you have to find the NC80K since the Accessories>BuildingSupplies>Nosecones menus only shows the NC-80b.

Estes only has two BT80 nosecones as best I remember, the PNC-80K aka the NC-80K, Executioner, MaxiAlpha3, Phoenix etc, and the PNC-80b for the Fatboy, Super Big Bertha, Mega Mosquito etc. I did find it interesting that using the websites search function is how you have to find the NC80K since the Accessories>BuildingSupplies>Nosecones menus only shows the NC-80b.
I know, that's weird. I can confirm they are available, I've ordered them. But they choose not to put them in the catalog.

Hans.

As of right now, 2-inch slotted tubes and couplers and 2.5-inch tubes, slotted & unslotted, are orderable on the website. I reckon it would be easy enough to make a 2.5-inch coupler by splitting a BT-80 coupler and glassing the seam.

I've been working with Denise. She got the 2.5-inch couplers onto the website and they are orderable. I have an order confirmation in my inbox.

I've been working with Denise. She got the 2.5-inch couplers onto the website and they are orderable. I have an order confirmation in my inbox.
WOW.... YOU must have a lot of pull at Estes.... Thank you. (And thank Denise from all of us scratch builders too.)

And here I just ordered 4" nosecones and body tubes earlier this week... oh well.

WOW.... YOU must have a lot of pull at Estes.... Thank you. (And thank Denise from all of us scratch builders too.)

And here I just ordered 4" nosecones and body tubes earlier this week... oh well.

I've placed a few orders, but I don't see it as having any pull. I just send polite messages through the customer service portal or direct email to the CS account and am friendly and pleasant when requesting information or support. I'd expect anyone who took the time to do the same could achieve similar results.

There's also a patience factor. I asked about the 2.5-in couplers earlier in the spring, and was told they'd be available in mid-May. It's June, they just launched the Ventris re-boot, and a bunch of 2- and 2.5-inch stuff showed up on the site that had been sold out or not listed. I'm guessing they put a hold on certain inventory until those kits were all packaged up. So I figured there was a good chance of something useful resulting if I asked nicely, and indeed that was the case.

Plus, Denise is awesome!

Latest posts

Back