Source for Estes 2.5" PS II couplers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seems these have been discontinued. About a month ago, I tried ordering, they were shown as "out of stock". Then they reappeared, and I snagged a few. Now they are gone completely. A search for "030189" in the upper right search box gives nothing. (Note that they seem to have a "mystery" inventory that shows up using the search function if you can find the part number, such as the 071035 Executioner BT-80 nose cone). I have 2 left, but I'll likely need a couple more couplers (isn't English great?). Tried the various vendors, none that I could find supports the Estes 2.5" tube.

Hans.

Buy another chunk of tube, slit it, insert into a BT, mark the overlap, slice out that piece of overlap and then glue it inside the piece of tube. Tada, coupler.

I like to put that piece of new coupler inside a tube line with wax paper, then glue in that sliced out piece. Then things fit nicely.

Like DigBaddy posted it looks like fabing your own couplers is the only option if Estes has truly dropped their 2.5” PSII couplers. The technique he described works well, I’ve had success doing it that way too when I needed a coupler and didn’t want wait to order and receive the parts.

Buy another chunk of tube, slit it, insert into a BT, mark the overlap, slice out that piece of overlap and then glue it inside the piece of tube. Tada, coupler.

I like to put that piece of new coupler inside a tube line with wax paper, then glue in that sliced out piece. Then things fit nicely.
Well, yes, I've done that. But I'd rather not spend time making simple components if possible. If I have "X" amount of time, I can make 2 rockets, or just 1 if I have to make the basic parts.....

And I'll need several. Perhaps 3 or 4.

Hans.

Got a friend with a 3D printer?
Well, actually I have one that I've never used. Basically, it's an issue of finding the time to tackle the learning curve of 3D software. And possibly having to re-learn a different package, if for some reason I didn't like the first one. But, yes, it's something I should do. I've done some very simple 2D drawings for laser cutting some plywood.

Edit: Doing a simple cylinder probably would be a great intro to most any software system, though.

Hans.

Well, actually I have one that I've never used. Basically, it's an issue of finding the time to tackle the learning curve of 3D software. And possibly having to re-learn a different package, if for some reason I didn't like the first one. But, yes, it's something I should do. I've done some very simple 2D drawings for laser cutting some plywood.

Edit: Doing a simple cylinder probably would be a great intro to most any software system, though.

Hans.

Rocket workbench for FreeCAD probably could get you going quickly.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Rocket_Workbench

Bluetube 54mm airframe is 2.274 OD , which I think should be fairly close to Estes 030189 2.35 ID with not very much tape at all e.g. 2-4 wraps of 3M blue.

Bluetube 54mm airframe is 2.274 OD , which I think should be fairly close to Estes 030189 2.35 ID with not very much tape at all e.g. 2-4 wraps of 3M blue.
Thanks. But the Estes 030189 is the coupler that I need to duplicate. The ID of the tube I need the coupler for is 2.46". So that would involve a lot of tape wrapping.

I've gotten the impression that the PS II parts are "limited to stock on hand", as the usual advertisements say. The various 2" and 2.5" items are slowly disappearing. Only the 3" Big Daddy and the DBRM are currently supported in current production, and I wonder if these are likely to be discontinued soon also.

Hans,

A similar thing recently happened to the BT-65 tube and the unslotted 2" tube. Both went out of stock and then disappeared from the site.

When I asked Estes customer service about them, they said that neither product had been dropped, but they didn't address why they disappeared from the site or when they would be back. So it's a bit of a mystery to me what's going on with a number of niche products on their site.

Thanks. But the Estes 030189 is the coupler that I need to duplicate. The ID of the tube I need the coupler for is 2.46". So that would involve a lot of tape wrapping.
Yes of course, how silly of me. There really is a bit of a gap right around that tubing size

It's just like the 3" nose cones and the 29mm motor tubes. I like the pro series parts and the sizes of the body tubes but the supply inconsistencies are getting frustrating. I'd go all BT-80 but for the lack of reasonably priced nosecones.

-Bob

It's just like the 3" nose cones and the 29mm motor tubes. I like the pro series parts and the sizes of the body tubes but the supply inconsistencies are getting frustrating. I'd go all BT-80 but for the lack of reasonably priced nosecones.

-Bob
What's the issue with the 29mm motor tubes?

-Bob
Have you tried a search on the Estes site for 071035? It's the old Executioner nose cone, and is currently in stock for around $5, I think...

Hans.

The executioner nose cone and super big bertha nose cones are the only nose cones availible. If you need a longer nose cone you're out of luck unless you want to pay $$$$$ for a balsa one.

The 29mm motor tubes have been missing from the estes site for a while now. Nothing comes up even when searching with the part number. Maybe they are saving all the 29mm tubes for the upcoming pro series release. But really Estes, how many 29mm motors are you selling. Se ondky how many are you making? AC Supply has been out of the F15-0 for months now and they been on order from before I Inquired about them. Love the idea but it's based on engines that aren't available and when they are they are way, way too costly by themselves, not to mention hazmat fees.

I know other places have 29mm tubes but I don't like to buy this from here, that from their, etc, etc.

This is sounding more like a rant. Time to go, sorry

Bob

I believe Erockets has 29mm motor tube stock (thick walled) also noted as BT-52H in various lengths, if you need this now and do not want to wait for Estes to possibly list the product again. I understand about not wanting to use more than one vendor, but I have resigned myself to that in this hobby a long time ago. If you are not familiar with Erockets, they have a lot of pieces and parts you might want besides the motor tubes, and they are great to deal with. I hope you find a solution that suits you.

I've gotten the impression that the PS II parts are "limited to stock on hand", as the usual advertisements say. The various 2" and 2.5" items are slowly disappearing. Only the 3" Big Daddy and the DBRM are currently supported in current production, and I wonder if these are likely to be discontinued soon also.

Hans,
The 3" Estes airframe has been around a long time (basis for the Big Daddy and the original PS 2066 Patriot Missle same for the nosecone and couplers so I don't think its likely to go anywhere anytime soon. Balsa Machining carries the 3" Estes size airframe and couplers as their T300-34" and C300-4"/6"/34".

Only the 2" and 2.5" parts are unique to the PSII rockets, the 4" MDRM airframe can use LOC couplers as its the same size (iirc the BT101 can also use the LOC 3.9" couplers).

The 3" Estes airframe has been around a long time (basis for the Big Daddy and the original PS 2066 Patriot Missle same for the nosecone and couplers so I don't think its likely to go anywhere anytime soon. Balsa Machining carries the 3" Estes size airframe and couplers as their T300-34" and C300-4"/6"/34".

Only the 2" and 2.5" parts are unique to the PSII rockets, the 4" MDRM airframe can use LOC couplers as its the same size (iirc the BT101 can also use the LOC 3.9" couplers).
Yeah, the PS II 2" and 2.5" is sort of the sweet spot for me. It's kind of like maintaining a British sports car.

Hans.

I reached out to Estes on the couplers. Figure one more person asking might show them there is interest.

With that said I also reached out to Balsa machine to see if they could source them. I'm talking to an online suppler of custom tubes as well. Little afraid of what they quote is going to look like :)

UPDATE: Never mind showing interest. I just receive this response.

1672861903934.png

Last edited:
Estes seems to be VERY UNSURE about this. I have an e-mail from just a few weeks ago where I sent them a list of the "then current" PSII builders parts asking about future availability.
They answered that these Body Tubes, Couplers, Nosecone, and Transitions; were not going away, and would be available going forward. I'll see if I can find the e-mail.

I've seen ps-2 parts dissappear and then reappear on the website more than once. Eg. 29mm motor tubes (currently mia)... I seriously doubt those are discontinued. Maybe I'm whistling by the graveyard but I need two couplers myself!! If i could get a 60mm dia mandrel, I'd wind my own!

I can understand the 2", 2.5" and 4" PSII parts being discontinued. Estes no longer has any kits based on these sizes, and I doubt there is anything on the horizon. It's a bummer, especially for anyone who wants to clone the older PSII kits (Argent etc.).

Components based on BT-65 tubing are apparently being phased out. I was just told that "it was unclear" if these parts would ever return to the catalog. I may have snapped up among the last remaining 2.5" and BT-65 tubes/couplers during the holiday sale.

Did anyone notice that sometime during 2022, Estes TARC pages disappeared? Overly analytical types see a trend...

Seems you got a more up to date answer than when I asked a while back, when the BT-65 and unslotted 2" tubes both disappeared from the website within a day or two. At that time I was told that neither had been discontinued.

I should be able to fit my BT-65 project into a pair of Olympus tubes, but if I can't, I can always supplement with C188 coupler stock from BMS if I have to (same OD, slightly larger ID). Pity the longer tubes are no longer available from Estes though. At least I dodged the bullet of getting into 2" parts just before the end (possibly) came.

Components based on BT-65 tubing are apparently being phased out. I was just told that "it was unclear" if these parts would ever return to the catalog. I may have snapped up among the last remaining 2.5" and BT-65 tubes/couplers during the holiday sale.

Did anyone notice that sometime during 2022, Estes TARC pages disappeared? Overly analytical types see a trend...
Wolf - that info was moved to Estes education site: https://edu.estesrockets.com/

At least I dodged the bullet of getting into 2" parts just before the end (possibly) came.

Well, I now have 4 1/2 chunks of BT, four couplers, two nose cones and two booster fin cans. Should be able to build a couple rockets and move on. At least none of it was expensive.

Well, I now have 4 1/2 chunks of BT, four couplers, two nose cones and two booster fin cans. Should be able to build a couple rockets and move on. At least none of it was expensive.

Agreed. Looks like I might need to take inventory and build what I can with what I have. After that it looks like it'll be 2.0 or 3.0. Guess I can learn to use sleeved BT80 with full length couplers as a replacement for the 2.5.

Back