Source for Estes 2.5" PS II couplers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, actually I have one that I've never used. Basically, it's an issue of finding the time to tackle the learning curve of 3D software. And possibly having to re-learn a different package, if for some reason I didn't like the first one. But, yes, it's something I should do. I've done some very simple 2D drawings for laser cutting some plywood.

Edit: Doing a simple cylinder probably would be a great intro to most any software system, though.

Hans.

Tangential to the thread at this point, but TinkerCAD is perfectly fine for designing simple components like this. I'd argue you're not going to find an easier entry point to 3D modeling. If you've made drawings for laser cutting then you'll have no problem. The barrier to entry is so low that you'll not have wasted any time if you later decide to move on to a more featureful system.

Jeepers... you guys made me go take inventory of what I have in PSII Parts. (Not counting Kits.)

2"
- (8) body tubes
- (4) nosecones
- (5) 2x2.5 transition

2.5"
- (8) body tubes
- (4) nosecones
- (10) couplers

3"
- (1) 4 slot body tube
- (1) 3 slot body tube
- (1) solid body tube
- (8.5) couplers

20230105_160354.jpg

Mike

Jeepers... you guys made me go take inventory of what I have in PSII Parts. (Not counting Kits.)

2"
- (8) body tubes
- (4) nosecones
- (5) 2x2.5 transition

2.5"
- (8) body tubes
- (4) nosecones
- (10) couplers

3"
- (1) 4 slot body tube
- (1) 3 slot body tube
- (1) solid body tube
- (8.5) couplers

View attachment 554999

Mike

I'm doing the same this evening.

I think there is something about the rocketry hobby that attracts hoarding personalities....

I have enough 2" materials for 2 rockets, same for 2 1/2". Plus parts for a 2 1/2" to 2" transition rocket. And enough for 3 3" rockets.

Hopefully that's enough, as I also have unbuilt Estes (many), Aerotech, LOC, PML, and SBR kits.

Hans.

I think there is something about the rocketry hobby that attracts hoarding personalities....

The parts are cheap, relative to most grown-up's disposable income. Also, once something is NLA, it may be a very, very long time before it's available again. So hoarding takes on the aspect of future proofing, keeping options open, etc.

I've finally "hoarded" enough parts and materials that I can just go to my personal "rocket shop" and pull out what I need to build what I want. I like that a lot better than every project having a sourcing/procurement phase before it can really get started.

Tangential to the thread at this point, but TinkerCAD is perfectly fine for designing simple components like this. I'd argue you're not going to find an easier entry point to 3D modeling. If you've made drawings for laser cutting then you'll have no problem. The barrier to entry is so low that you'll not have wasted any time if you later decide to move on to a more featureful system.
3D printing is the “magic bullet” for oddball and OOP parts and pieces!

Well now I know why there aren't any 2.5" couplers...
SORRY... I had a "gut feeling" this may happen last July, even though (as noted in my post above) they told me "no changes in PSII parts availability".

I think it was July or August I stocked up, on what they had. Now that I think about it 🤔; I have another box of PSII Parts somewhere... need to go DIG. (Maybe excavate would be a better term )

Vanderburn (https://www.launchlabrocketry.com/) and BadBoyRocketry (jbassham on ebay) both sell kits of PS II clones. Jbassham also sells several "upscale" kits that use the PSII 2" and 2.5" parts. Since Estes is the only source for those, I'm sure they've been ordering in bulk.
I know, I was just "running with scissors "!

Received a quote back from a company yesterday. $25 each for a 36” tube if I buy 10 of them. So depending on how badly we decide we need them, options are out there.

Once the supply of nose cones for any given body tube has dried up, is there a real need for more tubes of that diameter?

Granted, one can always 3D print a nose cone, but 2.5" tubing is only 2.5mm thinner than the ubiquitous standard wall BT80, or 3.5mm thinner than heavy-wall BT80 or LOC 2.56", which have available couplers and nose cones (plus one can print nose cones for them too).

Same goes for 2" (0.6mm thinner than Centuri ST-20 - may have to print nose cones, but coupler stock is available) and BT-65 (2.1mm thinner than 1.88").

Once the supply of nose cones for any given body tube has dried up, is there a real need for more tubes of that diameter?

Granted, one can always 3D print a nose cone, but 2.5" tubing is only 2.5mm thinner than the ubiquitous standard wall BT80, or 3.5mm thinner than heavy-wall BT80 or LOC 2.56", which have available couplers and nose cones (plus one can print nose cones for them too).

Same goes for 2" (0.6mm thinner than Centuri ST-20 - may have to print nose cones, but coupler stock is available) and BT-65 (2.1mm thinner than 1.88").

Agreed and I plan to move to LOC’s BT80 when my supply runs out but for now I have 42 sections of Estes 2.5 and only 8 couplers

Well the 3" couplers are now showing as "out of stock" but the photo is still there on the website... maybe those'll come back... and maybe they won't! I did get three 2.5" couplers from one of the vendors mentioned... at twice the price of course! But you can't put a price on rockets!!!!

They're launching a 3-inch Goblin using the DBRM nose cone and keeping the Doorknob in the 2023 catalog along with Big Daddy and DBRM, so the 3-inch stuff should be solid for awhile. And if not, BMS will likely be more steady than Estes overall.
Yeah bms's t300 parts seem to match the Estes 3" parts. I tried to see (contacted Estes) if I could get a tube and nosecone for the big daddy, but alas no spares were available. I did get a pair of each for me and a friend for a Leviathan clone project last February, but no dice now...
20230110_162229.jpg

I have one more 3" tube and I want to build a "stretched" version... and I really like the BD nose cone. I may end up just kitbashing a big daddy in the end... but the tube and cone are 1/3 the cost. Of course I could just go get a clone but I've got all these parts lying about!

T300=Estes 3" both airframes are dimensionally identical iirc
Yeah bms's t300 parts seem to match the Estes 3" parts. I tried to see (contacted Estes) if I could get a tube and nosecone .for the big daddy, but alas no spares were available. I did get a pair of each for me and a friend for a Leviathan clone project last February, but no dice now...
View attachment 556344

I have one more 3" tube and I want to build a "stretched" version... and I really like the BD nose cone. I may end up just kitbashing a big daddy in the end... but the tube and cone are 1/3 the cost. Of course I could just go get a clone but I've got all these parts lying about!
"

Yes, using a stick of T300 from BMS to build my Citation Patriot. Nose cone seems slightly loose, but nothing that a piece of tape won't fix.
I think what y'all are going to have a problem sourcing is nosecones.

There are 4 available nosecones for the 3" tubing

The Apogee/BMS/Mercury Engineering version similar to the Estes Big Daddy/PS Patriot/Leviathan?Scion nosecone, it has a slightly longer ogive and overall length.

The Estes 3" Nosecone
The Estes 3" upscale of the PNC-55 or 60 AO nosecone, Big Goblin/BDRM.
BMS BNC-300BB upscaled Big Bertha nosecone in balsa.

FOUND ANOTHER BOX OF ESTES PSII "STUFF".

(3) 3" Body Tubes
(6) 3" Couplers
(3) 2.5" Slotted Body Tubes
(3) 2" Slotted Body Tubes
(15) 2" Couplers

20230111_134047.jpg

(WOW.... I need to build MORE, and buy LESS.) :rolleyes:

For some odd reason, I'm partial to the 24/40 E18 motor. Can't be too heavy, but I need the rocket big enough for a JLCR. The 2" PS II tubes are just perfect. I have enough goodies for 3 complete rockets. I need to call it quits at that and stop hording.

Hans.

For some odd reason, I'm partial to the 24/40 E18 motor. Can't be too heavy, but I need the rocket big enough for a JLCR. The 2" PS II tubes are just perfect. I have enough goodies for 3 complete rockets. I need to call it quits at that and stop hording.

Hans.

I like E18W (and 2" rockets) as well. Great motor, even though it's often overshadowed by the F24 in the same case. The noise is really impressive at LPR launches and standoff distances.

I like E18W (and 2" rockets) as well. Great motor, even though it's often overshadowed by the F24 in the same case. The noise is really impressive at LPR launches and standoff distances.
Not sure why that E18 is so noisy. At a small club launch, I had one in an Aerotech Cheetah (which is in the sweet spot size wise at 1.9"), and when I lit it, someone commented "That'll wake the neighbors." It seemed louder than a 29mm F52 that I launched later.

Hans.

Back