Songs that make you cry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee whiz, I'm kinda maudlin, so my list could be kinda long... I did like "Operator", but not to tears...
1. The Star-Spangled Banner, when you get to the second and third verses sometimes...
2. But "America the Beautiful", the second verse softens me up and I'm gone on the third verse... when the controversy arose about the unsung 4th verse of the Star-Spangled Banner, I said I'll take this for a national anthem in a heartbeat. I can sing all three verses of the National Anthem and all 4 of America the Beautiful by heart.
3. 'way too many hymns. "The King of Love my Shepherd is", 4th verse, I'm blotto. "It is well with my soul", the 3rd most commonly sung verse, I'm done... and on and on.

That's enough for now. There's too many.

Last edited:
Vincent by Don McLean can get me close to welling up if I'm both in the mood and haven't heard it for quite a while. There's also a couple songs on Billy Joel's 1st album (Cold Spring Harbour) that are very emotionally raw and whilst they don't tear me up, they can shift the mind into a deeper connected state.

TP

Marilyn Manson, The Reflecting God.
A Bunch of people died while I was listening to that.

On the good side; With good behavior, I should be up for parole in another 50 years or so...

LOL!

That has to be my worst joke of the year so far. In today's mass murder explosion, it's probably true of someone, somewhere. Sorry. But it did make me giggle when I posted it, lol. :)

mr. bojangles, the verse where the dog dies... c'mon, that just ain't fair...

then there are songs that are maybe SUPPOSED to make you cry, like desperado and it makes no difference. those just piss me off.

Collective Soul - The World I Know
Flogging Molly - The Worst Day Since Yesterday
James Horner - The Launch (from Apollo 13)
Sarah McLachlan - Angel (because of those goddamn ASPCA commercials)

Distance - Mammoth WVH. Written by frontman Wolfgang Van Halen to cope with his father’s (Eddie’s) failing health and ready him for the final farewell. The music video is a bunch of their family home video recordings.

Gone Away - The Offspring. Also covered to amazing effect by Five Finger Death Punch. Tough to listen to sometimes.

Occasional mournfulness while listening to stuff from talent who went too soon or took their own life. Randy Rhoads, Cliff Burton, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, John Bonham, Bon Scott, Dimebag Darrell, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Freddie Mercury, Bradley Nowell, Scott Weiland, Layne Staley, Taylor Hawkins…

@cwbullet

What song have you heard at any number of patriotic celebrations (that was not the National Anthem) that brought tears to the soldiers standing in formation...

One word....Lee

This is probably the greatest cover song ever recorded. The age and crack in Cash's voice with the simple minor chords makes it much more haunting that the original.

Trent Reznor was just too young to do his own song justice when it was released. The Reznor/Bowie version is outstanding (but not up there with Cash).

Taps, Every. Single. Time.
Me too. All my dad’s friends, and my dad, were veterans so Taps gets me every time.

When my dad was dying I happened upon a PBS special called something like “Three Irish Tenors.”
One of them sang a song called “The Old Man.” Before the song was over I was a blubbering mess. I still only listen to it alone, but I feel my dad with me.

Latest posts

Back